Threshold of a dream...

PhrogPhlyer

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Rupert said:

Yes it certainly was!!

I often wonder if the feelings and inspiration of those days will ever return to aviation.

One can only hope, and do all we can to keep the dream alive.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

The Right Stuff. I remember as a child I had a book about the X-15 project which I read from cover to cover many times. Lately I saw it in the absolutely adorable movie "First Man" and that gave an unprecedented representation of how scary it was like to be in the cockpit of this machine doing Mach 5+ at the edge of space. 

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

19 minutes ago, kalizzi said:

how scary it was like to be in the cockpit of this machine doing Mach 5+ at the edge of space

One can only imagine.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

I've done numerous simulated X-15 drops in FS2004, about 10% end in successful landings, maybe another 10% survivable.  But I keep trying.  Also tried the X-24, a bit more survivable though not as maneuverable.  (It  was an X-24 "landing" shown at the start of the "Six Million Dollar Ham" TV show.)

The X-15 was one of the few aircraft to be strictly a test aircraft, with no production aspect at all.

It tested so many things well beyond high altitude/high speed, such as side stick controllers.

The definitive book published by NASA on the X-15 program is found in pdf at this link:

https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/601242main_X15ExtendingFrontiersFlight-ebook.pdf

phrog x 2.jpg

Just as impressive as her Speed records are her Altitude records; 354,200' (67.2 mi.). 

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

2 hours ago, jgf said:

the white X-15 often seen in photos

From the NASA book I referenced above:

image.jpeg.dc2d06f364c66f6fc029ffe785375ce4.jpeg

phrog x 2.jpg