ILS capture glide

A300-600

Good morning

I have a stupid question:

In fs2004

When I make an ILS  by Lee Swordy afcad, how I intercept altitude (height) of glide ? this is mandatory-obligatory-essential.
There is no data in afcad program.
Excuse me bad english language
Regards

Andrea

You are going to capture the glideslope by being well under it.  The glideslope will usually start around 8-9 miles out from touchdown.  It would be best to be 1200 feet, or so to capture it.

• Like 1

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The key to glide slope intercept altitude is to read the instrument approach procedure chart. This will always be noted as underlined (no lower than, or under and overlines (mandatory altitude). For flight planning always review the chats, L or H routes, SIDS/STARS/IAP to know what the minimum altitudes are. These provide you with terrain avoidance.

Glide Slope Intercept.jpg

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Thanks at all for interest in my question, I very appreciate.

The above graphic  I understand ,look charts and there is not any problem. But my trouble is different : when I install an afcad ILS in any fs9 airport , how I know the height (altitude) intercept level ? each airport has a different characteristic . Maybe wrong english,sorry.

In any case,thanks.

Andrea

1 hour ago, A300-600 said:

afcad ILS

I do not know the answer to this specific question. Hopefully someone else might be able to respond.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

The ILS within FS9 (as in real world) is not determining the altitude at which the glide slope shall be intercepted. This is prescribed by the approach plates for every single airport and depends on terrain around the airport for instance. So what you need are approach plates (charts) for the airport that you are flying to. If you are flying with FS9 internal ATC the altitude to intercept the G/S is given by ATC instructions but in many cases are not representing real life data.

Michael

33 minutes ago, michaelkalinowsk said:

depends on terrain around the airport for instance

For those who would like a very in-depth study into how approaches and other parts of the United States Standard for Terminal Instrument Procedures (TERPS) are developed, below is the link to the actual FAA Order 82603E for this matter:

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/Order_82603E_CHG-01_Consolidated.pdf

I have found it very interesting and useful to my understanding of how procedures are developed.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

Hi Andrea.

You may not be able to get the altitude from the afcad. If there is no final approach fix in the afcad ILS then the outer marker should be at the same location.

You can calculate the altitude where the glideslope beam intercepts the location of the OM or FAF from the runway elevation, glideslope angle and distance from OM to threshold.

Alternatively, you could fly or slew around the airport before making your proper flight, to find directly what altitude the glideslope beam is at over the FAF or OM.

D

faf elevation.jpg

With each new thread that asks this question (what altitude to intercept the glideslope) I wonder if there is actually a more specific question being asked. Such as "using a specific FMC..." or "on the afcad designed approach to specific airport..." or "flying a specific aircraft with a specific autopilot coupled nav system..." then "what is the designed ILS GS intercept altitude for that specific situation." The reason I bring this up is that many answers all go back to the real world design of a precision approach. For that, the GS intercept is either a specific altitude, or no lower than a specific altitude. And those are identified on the profile view of the approach plate (see my previous comments above). Most often the GS intercept is normally a minimum altitude, so intercept the GS at that altitude or higher. And this is a higher altitude than when reaching the OM/FAF, so that you have  time to configure the aircraft for a stabilized approach (gear down, approach flaps, power controls rate of decent adjustments if get slightly above or below GS).

phrog x 2.jpg

2 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

And this is a higher altitude than when reaching the OM/FAF, so that you have  time to configure the aircraft for a stabilized approach

This is a fair comment and unarguable. I should have typed PFAF. Paro in Bhutan comes to mind, where there is (as far as I know) no published approach and it's normal to configure for landing at the top of the descent. There are videos around the web of some horrendously overloaded first-time pilots, even from that far out.

Stritly in the context of FS9, (unless absolute fidelity to the real world is necessary) when modifying an afd by ading an ILS approach, PFAF is likely to be at the intercept altitude, as in the plate you posted above. If that fix has to be created, or if something else is required, then the easiest way of determining the intercept altitude is by deciding how far from the threshold you want to intercept, and then doing the simple trig for the glideslope angle to calculate the altitude. The modification to the afd will need some sort of waypoint at the intercept. The OM can be moved and will give the audible warning, easing the workload a little.

D

Thanks D. You highlight that in these discussions we must be clear as to whether we are talking "published" approaches, "programmed" approaches (such as established by someone else within an afcad, etc. or determining/creating your own approach. I do catch myself reading what I think a person wants rather than getting clarification and then answering. Thanks again, your response should be helpful for many.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

Thanks at all for your pleasure answers,there are the lot, so I need a little time for understand...But something I understand. I will write a reply post , I have a bad english trouble,sorry. Is the beroun post most simple ? I am a little simmer.

Andrea