Links from freewarescenery.com

beroun

Hi there,

Just in case not known yet,

the links from the freewarescenery.com to the flightsim.com no longer work. Guessing still pointed to the old Flightsim site.

When doable the links should be pointedt to the the new site (here)

Cheers,

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

It is a problem with, at least as far as I can see, the download links from EVERYWHERE to this site that are dead.

This is a major downer, a MAJOR issue, and one that could potentially lead me (personally) not to use this site after so many years.

The file system and its search functions in particular on the "old" site was what made it stand out.

I would have imagined (OK, maybe I am too naive) that preserving the download LINKS from outside would have been a priority concern when switching softeare.

So, the really MEGA BIG question is now: will those links ever be able to work again? Is there even a remote possibility for that?

Jorgen

Here's the explanation from Nels on this issue, from page 8 of the New Forum Software thread:

"The problem is that the new site is arranged differently than before...the information is still here, but the page URL's have changed. The search engines have indexed the old site that does not exist any more. Eventually they should start to index the new site and this problem will resolve itself."

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

• Founder

My comment above doesn't exactly apply to this question. I was writing about how search engines like Google link to the site. The places that link to files are likely a different case, as I believe they hard-coded the exact URL to a file and with the new file library set up differently that won't work any more in the same way.

What probably needs to be done is to get the people who run sites like freewarescenery talking with the new FlightSim.Com owners, who probably are not aware of the issue. I used to be able to tell people how to create a correct URL to a specific file in the old library, but I'm not sure how that is done any more so the new owners will need to get involved.

• Like 1

I tried a link from freewarescenery now and in principle it works. But you get not the searched download but only the home (main) site. Then I searched a old file (2012) named mygf2012.zip at the fsx files. I found the download site with three results (MYGF). But I found no possibility to download them. Maybe the timeout works  for loading  too long.

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

I think I found the solution. For some downloads at this site it is obvious necessary for users in Austria to work with VPN. I tried this with  the FSX geebeez4 form the early aircraft and I had to use VPN. Now it works😁

It works also with the yesterday searched MYGF Bahamas scenery😉

On 2/14/2023 at 10:48 PM, beroun said:

Hi there,

Just in case not known yet,

the links from the freewarescenery.com to the flightsim.com no longer work. Guessing still pointed to the old Flightsim site.

When doable the links should be pointedt to the the new site (here)

Cheers,

Hi all,

I am the maintainer of the freewarescenery.com website. Once flightsim.com implements searching of files by filename, then I can adjust all the links. Until then, just search flightsim.com by hand, as you know the file you are looking for is present if you found it on my site.

• Like 5

Hi, you are right it isn't easy to find some things in this new forum . In your (error)message I found your search as 'kabi2007.zip'.

This filename is lost in flightsim.com. KABI is the ICAO code from Abilene Regional Airport Texas. So you can search by this code to find your download.

I had the same problem with 'nzme_mercer-4x.zip'. I found it with 'NZME'.

good luck😉

8 hours ago, oosterlo said:

Hi all,

I am the maintainer of the freewarescenery.com website. Once flightsim.com implements searching of files by filename, then I can adjust all the links. Until then, just search flightsim.com by hand, as you know the file you are looking for is present if you found it on my site.

A quick thanks for maintaining that site.  I've been going there for years with no idea who was behind it.

• Like 1