Which FS to Get ?

Dogman12

I have not played FSX for quite a few years due to computer issues and raising a family.

I have started looking into getting back into it. I will be purchasing a mid range price gaming commuter for fsx.

I once had fsx gold

Looking at games available I get confused. lol

There is FSX ( if still available ) FSX Steam and FSX2020

I rather not play on line or use a lot off data I do have internet to do original install of the game if required.

Interested in Canada

Small planes, planes with skies and float

Fly in remote locations or rural location

Would like to install scenery for above and have it running without internet

Down load smaller planes

Not really interested in flying Larger planes or to larger cities ect...

Also no need to play with multi players.

Which game would you suggest for PC

Thanks for your time

Ron

Well, little internet means no FS2020. That leaves XPlane and the remaining derivatives of FSX; ie, FSX Steam or the various Lockheed P3D products. I would recommend XPlane 12, with XP 11 as a backup choice if your new mid range computer cannot handle XP12. Although neither of the XPlane versions has the cinema-realistic eye candy scenery like FS2020, the flight dynamics are better in XP and XP12 has much better base scenery than 11 and probably better than P3D without some kind of photo overlay add on. Actually, XP (especially 11) can be all dolled up with ortho photo overlays that you can create yourself with a free program called ortho4xp. Tarted up this way, XP 11 (and presumably this will also work in XP12) looks almost as good as FS2020.

There are some very good light planes available for the XP's, just as good if not better than the ones for FSX.

Lockheed's P3D is rather good (I'm still using V2.4, Win 7), especially with ORBX scenery added which adds a huge amount of detail and much improved textures and more. At times (mountain scenery especially) you'd almost think it's photographic, in spite of just being graphics. The later versions of P3D need at least Win10, but the internet is only needed if you wish to fly online with someone (multiplayer). P3D also takes advantage of good GPUs, which FSX does not, and even V2.4 gave me a considerable performance increase over FSX.

I've never cottoned to XP, and in the trials I've run I didn't find flight models to be any better than FSX, often times worse. And BOTH sims can be improved with add-on aircraft, but that depends on the aircraft developer to do the flight dynamics right, which seldom happens, though many are improved over the stock aircraft.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

how well do you think the below computer will run fsx fsx steam xp-11 xp 12

windows 11

Operating System Language

Bilingual

Processor Type

AMD Ryzen 5 4600G

Processor Speed

3.7 GHz

Processor Cores

Processor Cache

3 MB

RAM Size

12 GB

RAM Type

DDR4 U-DIMM

Solid-State Drive Capacity

512 GB

Graphics Card

NVIDIA GeForce GTX1660 Ti

Dedicated Graphic Card

Yes

Video Memory

6 GB

Sound Card

AMD B550 Chipset

Audio Output

High Definition 7.1 Channel Audio

Loaded Software

McAfeeLiveSafe 30-daytrial; TrustedPlatformModule(TPM)2.0

Power Supply

550 W

ENERGY STAR Qualified

No

Display

Built-in Monitor

No

Touchscreen Display

No

VR Ready

Yes

Networking

Ethernet Port

Realtek RTL8111H 10/100/1000 GbE

Integrated Wi-Fi

Wi-Fi 5(802.11ac)

Integrated Bluetooth

Bluetooth 5.0 (Dual band) 2*2

Inputs & Outputs

USB Ports

4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A; 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A; 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A

I/O Ports - Front

1 x 3.5mm combo audio jack; 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A

I/O Ports - Back

1 x RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet; 1 x HDMI 1.4; 1 x VGA Port; 1 x DVI-D; 1 x PS2; 3 x Audio jacks; 4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A; 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A

Expansion Slots

1 x PCIe 3.0 x 1; 1 x PCIe 4.0 x 16; 1 x M.2 connector for WiFi; 1 x M.2 connector for storage; 4 x DDR4 U-DIMM

Thanks