More Electra Liveries - European, South America, and Pacific Areas

BillD22

Here are some additional shots of Lockheed L188 "Electra"s with liveries from the 1960s, '70s, and '80s flown by airlines in Europe, South America, and the western Pacific. By the 1990s virtually all passenger L188s had either been retired or converted to freighters.

KLM was the only major European airline to buy and use the Electra on regular main passenger routes. In the '60s this included a very long route from Amsterdam to Indonesia with numerous stops en route. The airplane in this shot is on approach to Djakarta, the capital of Indonesia.

KLM.jpg

In the '80s Brazilian airline Varig imported and operated a large fleet of mostly ex-Eastern Airline Electra's on the hourly shuttle between Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo. In this shot of a plane landing in Rio, if you look carefully directly up from the #1 engine, you can just make out the famous statue of "Christ the Redeemer" rising up against the sky from a mountaintop in the distance.

VARIG.jpg

TAME in Ecuador and colorful Aerocondor in Columbia were two other South American airlines using the Electra on passenger routes.

Tame.jpg

AEROCON.jpg

In the Pacific, Hong Kong-based Cathay Pacific was one of the original 60's launch customers for the Electra, along with Eastern Airlines in the U.S. I think this is a particularly classy paint which is a later version that replaced the original "plain Jane" red and white delivery scheme.

CPAC.jpg

cap2.jpg

Australia and New Zealand carriers Qantas, TAA, and TEAL (later Air New Zealand) were other Pacific Electra flyers in the '60s and '70s. They committed to buying Electras before it became clear that the new Boeing and Douglas jet airliners just coming into production and beginning to replace propliners were what the flying public was interested in and excited about - hence the word "Jet" added and prominently featured on some of the early '60s liveries here and also back in the U.S.

QTS.jpg

TAA.jpg

TEAL.jpg

ANZ.jpg

Edited by BillD22

Great Elecktra shots Bill! Having said that, Amsterdam to Indonesia is not a trip I ever want to take in an Electra!!

My one Super Connie trip from California to Hawaii nonstop was more than I ever want to experience again. :eek::eek:

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Great Elecktra shots Bill! Having said that, Amsterdam to Indonesia is not a trip I ever want to take in an Electra!!

Michael

Me either! But an Electra would be better than what was used on the route when it was originally set up using what looks on this 1930's travel poster to be a DC2 . Took 5 and half days!! This was back in the day when most of modern Indonesia was a Dutch colony.

KLM.jpg