Hi Everyone

Please accept my apologies if this is wrong. This is my first effort in msfs 2020.

And I am 85 years old. Have worked on every edition of Flight Sim but am now flumoxed.

Unable to add Aircraft as I do not have packages in my Installed MSFS 2020. I get to Local Cache but there is NOTHING there.

Please help!

Sid

Hi Sid, you'll need to enable the "Hidden Items" option in File Explorer:

Click the folder icon on the Taskbar.

Click the View tab at the top of the window.

Click the Hidden Items box in the Show/Hide panel on the top right of the window.

You should now be able to find the Community Folder and when you do, create a shortcut and put it on your desktop!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Sid,

I’m sure you will have noticed that MSFS2020 is completely different to all the previous sims. This includes how addons are… well, added.

Which aircraft are you trying to add? I’m assuming you have downloaded some from a site such as flightsim.to ? If you are adding aircraft from the sim’s own built in “marketplace” then it will install them for you. Most planes from other sites simply need to be placed in the community folder. This is usually in the location as mentioned in the posts above, but in my case the community folder is simply D:\MSFS\Community because that’s where I installed MSFS.

I presume you installed it in its default location, or did you change the location like myself?

Have you tried simply doing a search for “Community”? Make sure windows is set to “show hidden files” ( as per Tim’s instructions above) and enter community in the search bar of windows explorer. It may take a few moments but should hopefully find it.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

No you did not read my post.

I said that I followed the instructions as follows ......msfsflight sim _8wekyb3d8bbwe/Local Cache/ and thats as far as I can go. There is no packages there !!! .

Thanks anyway

Sid

I read your post Sid, you are on the wrong track.

Just look in the root directory of the folder the sim is in probably C:\MSFS unless you put it somewhere else.

there you will find a folder named community, addons go in there, its a far simpler process than any previous Flight sims from MS

Thanks to all of you but I have still not found my Community Folder.

To g7rta... no luck at all but thanks.

To Hyperdark..... I just put MS2020 in c:- but it is not there. I think I will have to

get another hard drive and put it in there.. but what a job Installing it again.

Thanks all of you.

Sid

Anotherway of locating the community folder:

While running MSFS 2020 do the following:

Go to Options / General

Click on "Developers" which you will find at the bottom of the list on the left

Switch Developers Mode on

On the Dev Menu select Tools / Virtual File System

The community folder location can be found under "Watched Bases"

Of course, unless you have already added or installed some addons, the folder will be empty. Which planes are you wanting you add? Also, which edition of the sim do you have.. MS Store download… Steam.. or the 10 DVD boxed edition? Some say that the DVD installation doesn’t have a community folder.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Hi Sid: Glad to see your post. I'm 75 and like you have used every edition of MSFS since the PC JR days. However, I resisted the temptation to dump FSXSE...for one thing I would have to buy a new PC to run it-and for the other I have so much invested in things like ORBX scenery...it hurts just to throw it all away. After reading so many posts about the bugs, etc...I'm starting to think I will just be happy with what I have! Good Luck!

Hi Sid, even if I can sympathize to some extent with what wmcgowan said, I wholeheartedly recommend you not to give up with MSFS. It's worth it, believe me.

I'm sure we can help you to find the Community folder if you help us to help you.

To begin with, how did you buy it? (I mean: MS Store, Steam or DVDs)

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Hi Sid, even if I can sympathize to some extent with what wmcgowan said, I wholeheartedly recommend you not to give up with MSFS. It's worth it, believe me.

I'm sure we can help you to find the Community folder if you help us to help you.

To begin with, how did you buy it? (I mean: MS Store, Steam or DVDs)

I agree as well. The people that visit this forum are very helpful. We have ALL been through this on our systems, trying to find the Community Folder. However, once you find it, you will not lost it again :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Hi Evertone. I am so proud to have you all helping,it does my heart good.

I bought my MS2020 throught the MS store and have followed the advice

ov all who helped me. I have been trying to add Hawker Hunter v13 srby W.

How ever nothing seems to work.

Sid

Steve gave the best advice earlier in this thread; activate Developer Mode and use that to find the Community folder. This website has a very clear guide with screenshots of the process:

https://www.finalapproachsim.com/msfs-community-folder/

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Good News !!!!!!!!

Have found Community Folder by using "tiger 1962" method of going in to Developer Mode .

However not all Aircraft seem to work !! Put in Douglas DC3 and worked OK. Put in Hawker and its not there when I open MS2020. Put in Spitfire and I dont see it . Any ideas. ?

Thanks from Sid

Good News !!!!!!!!

Have found Community Folder by using "tiger 1962" method of going in to Developer Mode .

However not all Aircraft seem to work !! Put in Douglas DC3 and worked OK. Put in Hawker and its not there when I open MS2020. Put in Spitfire and I dont see it . Any ideas. ?

Thanks from Sid

Thanks Sid, but it was actually Steve's idea about Developer mode - anyway I'm glad you've found the Community folder at last, I hope you've created a shortcut to it! When you unzip some aircraft and scenery, the unzipped folder contains the actual folder which goes into the Community folder.

Thanks Tim ;)

Sid, I’m glad you found it. Where are you downloading the addon planes from?

Check out flightsim.to if you haven’t already

Regards

Steve

One thing to remember when unzipping addon files is they often bury the folder 2 levels in, so you endup with something like addon folder name/addon folder name/files, which wont work if you just copy that into the community folder, you need to go down one level to be at

addon folder name/files and copypy-paste that into community