Getting Weather Radar to Work

Can someone help me get weather radar to work on the B787 and B747?

A tutorial video I found said, click on Range, Terr, and WXR main panel buttons. That worked on the video, but not when I tried it. Can someone tell me how they get weather radar to come up on the nav data screen in those 2 airliners?...Thanks very much for all help...

Lee Graves

(Ryzen 5 3600 cpu; ASUS ROG B-550-F MB; 32 GB Corsair memory; GeForce 2060 video card; Sabrent 1 TB SSD; ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor; Updated Win 10; ANTEC case)

Based on this thread's non-response, I'm wondering if ANYONE on the Forum has seen a MSFS working weather radar, on any plane?

I found this question and answer on Google: Is there a weather radar layer in MSFS 2020? And, this answer (without a source): "It has been well discussed in the MSFS forums that Asobo has not yet made a weather radar layer live. It is on their workflow, I understand..."

Makes me wonder how the tutorial video I found was made--it showed a working WX radar (link below).

Lee Graves

(Ryzen 5 3600 cpu; ASUS ROG B-550-F MB; 32 GB Corsair memory; GeForce 2060 video card; Sabrent 1 TB SSD; ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor; Updated Win 10; ANTEC case)

I just completed a B747 flight (on my PC), clicked-on keys ND Range, TERR, and WXR (as per the video) and got no WX radar (as the video got). Many tries later, still no WX radar. Am I not following the video's directions? Should I be doing something else?...Any suggestions?...

Lee Graves

I have the FBW A320 Developer version, and have no weather radar either. I was told however, that the experimental version has a working one, but I'd lose alot of the added features if I switched. Cabin announcements, vapor trail effects, etc.

Not worth it in my opinion.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I just tried a flight in the 747 from KRSW where I found some weather. I just pushed the WXR button and adjusted the range out to 20 miles. It does look like it will only show Terrain OR WXR, not both. If you select WXR and then TERR you won't get WXR.

747 WXR.JPG

I re-started a B747 flight from KPIT-KLGA and while sitting on the KPIT threshold with broken clouds in front of me, clicked-on ND Range (20 miles), TERR, and WXR (as the video did). Again, 20-mile range arcs and our location showing in magenta appeared, but no WX. After clicking-on just WXR (no TERR), nothing changed on the screen...

So, I tried clicking-on just ND Range (20 miles) and WXR. Still, no change in the screen...I do not know why I am not getting a WX picture (like CAVULIFE), when seemingly doing exactly what he did...Anybody see a reason?...

Lee Graves

I re-started a B747 flight from KPIT-KLGA and while sitting on the KPIT threshold with broken clouds in front of me, clicked-on ND Range (20 miles), TERR, and WXR (as the video did). Again, 20-mile range arcs and our location showing in magenta appeared, but no WX. After clicking-on just WXR (no TERR), nothing changed on the screen...

So, I tried clicking-on just ND Range (20 miles) and WXR. Still, no change in the screen...I do not know why I am not getting a WX picture (like CAVULIFE), when seemingly doing exactly what he did...Anybody see a reason?...

Lee Graves

Are you sure that there are storms in that area? I think WXR only shows rain/snow, not just clouds?

Try looking on SkyVector for an airport with rain showers and take off from there.

Are you sure that there are storms in that area? I think WXR only shows rain/snow, not just clouds?

Try looking on SkyVector for an airport with rain showers and take off from there.

I've heard that too; actually the MSFS engine as a whole will only show precipitation.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

My thanks to CAVULIFE and KINGNORRIS. You both found the reason I was not getting a radar weather return. The aircraft has to be flying in either rain or a storm, before it provides a WXR return on the main panel. With one of those active, I'm seeing a continuous WXR return,,,A great job by you both...

Lee Graves