How Can I Activate A Parallel Runway?

bam1220

I added McCarren 2008 so I can have a better KLAS than default in my FS9. I noticed though that the sim is only using runway 25R for all takeoffs and landings. 25L is not being used at all. Is there a way to activate 25L? I also have add on scenery for KDFW and KPHL and those airports do use parallel runways. Do I have to change something in an AFCAD file? I have never done this but I am a fast learner. I have searched for duplicate AFCADS and I did deactivate the one from F1UT (traffic) Thanks.

I added McCarren 2008 so I can have a better KLAS than default in my FS9. I noticed though that the sim is only using runway 25R for all takeoffs and landings. 25L is not being used at all. Is there a way to activate 25L? I also have add on scenery for KDFW and KPHL and those airports do use parallel runways. Do I have to change something in an AFCAD file? I have never done this but I am a fast learner. I have searched for duplicate AFCADS and I did deactivate the one from F1UT (traffic) Thanks.

what do you mean by "parallel" on final approach ? take off ? what plane ?

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Open the LAS AFCAD file, and click on the 25L runway itself. Then get Properties, and see if the runway is closed for takeoffs and landings. If so, uncheck those (each end).

If it is not closed, it's probably due to the way that FS ATC handles takeoffs and landings.

Takeoffs - will take off on the runway closest to their parking spot. If all parking spots are closer to 25R, that is the runway that will be used.

Landings - will land on the runway closest to their approach path. Since almost all aircraft arrive LAS from the north, they will use the north runway.

If this concentration onto 25R is causing traffic problems, you can close the 25R runway for either takeoffs or landings (both ends), and this will force AI aircraft to use 25L for that purpose. That way one runway will be for landings and the other for takeoffs.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

IMO the best way to handle LAS is to close 7L/25R to landings.

This will force all incoming traffic to 7R/25L.

All departing traffic will use 7L/25R, which is default AI behavior because it is closer to all parking, as Tom stated.

So, have incoming land on the outer runway and edit all of the taxiways that cross the inner runway with the diamond technique so incoming traffic does not pile up waiting for clearance to cross the inner runway after landing.

Do the same with the 1/19s and that is as about as good as it can get.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thanks guys. Yes I am trying to have all landings on 7R/25L. I also want to keep 7L/25R for takeoffs. Right now all takeoffs and landings use 7L/25R and causes a huge traffic backup. I figured it could be done somehow because KDFW runways all work as in real life. As well as KPHL and a few others like KDEN. All of those I have as add on scenery and they work perfect.

Ok. I opened up the AFCAD and closed 25R/7L to landings. I also closed 25L/7R to takeoffs. Saved my changes and started up FS9. The AI aircraft are still landing and taking off from 25R only. I went in and changed the AFCAD to make sure I did it right. My settings are correct. But for some reason my settings will not work for KLAS. The scenery I am using is called McCarran2008. I'm not sure what else to do or if there is anything else I can do.

Ok. I opened up the AFCAD and closed 25R/7L to landings.

Make sure you closed both ends.

I also closed 25L/7R to takeoffs.

Not really necessary. As long as 7L/25R is open for takeoff AI will never use 7R/25L for takeoff.

The AI aircraft are still landing and taking off from 25R only.

Make sure you have no other afcads for LAS in any active scenery folders.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Thanks Bean. I did close both ends of 25R/7L for landings. I ran a search for duplicate AFCAD for KLAS. It found the modified one I am using for the McCarran scenery as well as the default one. I changed .bgl to .old for the default AFCAD. But AI are still only using 25R/7L for takeoffs and landings. None of the other runways are being used. At this point I really don't know what else to do other than just get used to it being this way. Do you think maybe finding another more updated AFCAD and installing that might work?

I changed .bgl to .old for the default AFCAD.

If you are talking about ...\FS9\Scenery\NAMW\scenery\AP9017190.bgl, renaming it is a bad idea.

That file contains dozens of airports and you just wiped them out.

Do not ever change any default files and proper programs such as ADE and Afcad2 know how to disable the default airport.

What program are you suing to edit the airport?

How did you scan for afcads?

Make sure the Mach-1 AF2 file is disabled.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

I used a program called ScanAFD.zip. I never saw the file you listed above (AP9017190.bgl) The file I changed to .old was listed as KLAS.bgl (default). I believe that's all the information the program listed. Plus the one listed as (modified) where I closed 25R/7L to landings. The program I used to edit the file was simply called AFCAD. Where would Mach-1 AF2 file be located? I never saw that one either.

If I download another AFCAD file for KLAS would it work with McCarran2008? Or do I need to use the one that came with the addon scenery McCarran2008?

As far as I know I didn't change anything in the following folder that you listed. I just went in there and all are still there.

If you are talking about ...\FS9\Scenery\NAMW\scenery\AP9017190.bgl, renaming it is a bad idea.

I just installed it. As installed, the AFCAD file has Rwy 25R closed for landings. On my machine all AI aircraft land on Rwy 25L and take off on runway 25R. So I don't know why you are not seeing that, unless another AFCAD file has a higher priority in the Scenery Library. Is the McCarran2008 scenery layer right at the top of the list?

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Guys problem is solved. I downloaded the update mentioned above. While it corrected the problem I was having with the runways it caused another problem. None of the planes at KLAS were parked properly at the gates. All were parked about 50 to 60 feet away from the jetways. So I ended up deleting the update as well as McCarran2008. I then reinstalled the original McCarran2008 without the update and all is well. AI are using 25L to land and 25R for takeoff. All planes are parked where they are supposed to be. I have no idea what caused my problem with the runways in the first place. I'll just chalk it up to another one of those weird FS9 glitches. But all is now working as it should be. I appreciate all of the responses I received here.

Archived