FSnavigator question.

HoratioWondersocks

I have just had my main Cdrive die on me.

Thats bad news.

However the good news.

I had my fs9 backed up to an external ssd .

One the components of that backed up copy is FSnavigator in the modules folder.

Will that still run?

Iam sure in the past when I have had incidents of this nature FSnavigator still worked as normal from a backup of Fs9.

No reinstallation was required ,which is good because I have no installation package for it.

FSnav is really an essential part of my sim enjoyment.

A great program, but is it still available anywhere just in case it won't function from my backup of 9?

I know support for it was discontinued years ago, but I would certainly pay for it if I had to or could.

Thanks all

Andy

PS

I can't try running FSnav till I get my PC back tomorrow. So I thought I would ask here.

Edited by HoratioWondersocks

You can download the free version - when FSN closed down the author made a free version that does not require registration - from Bob Hollands page:

http://www.bobholland.com/fs/fsnav/default.htm

I have just noticed that the FSN downloaded from above does not contain any Sids/Stars. If you have a previous copy of FSN installed on a backup of FS9 you can copy the Sids/Stars from there into your new install of FS9.

Happy flying,

David

Edited by solomod

It will function normally based upon your last scenery data file. If you add new scenery, you'll have to reinstall the program to update your airports, etc.

If you have copied your entire FS across, just run FSNavDBC.exe from the modules\FSNavigator\Bin directory to rebuild.

You can download the free version - when FSN closed down the author made a free version that does not require registration - from Bob Hollands page:

http://www.bobholland.com/fs/fsnav/default.htm

I have just noticed that the FSN downloaded from above does not contain any Sids/Stars. If you have a previous copy of FSN installed on a backup of FS9 you can copy the Sids/Stars from there into your new install of FS9.

Happy flying,

David

Oh dear, that myth has surfaced again. There is no free version and never has been. I checked with the author.

This so-called "free" version is the standard download and will only function for a limited time as a trial, when it will either require registration or if you are very lucky to be randomly selected you apparently get free registration. I've never heard of anybody that enjoyed that feature.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Hello All

I am happy to report that FSnavigator is running as normal.

And that I now have two copies (one is a backup) of FS9 again.

I am looking forward to my first flight for nearly two weeks.

At the beginning of the week I really thought my flight simulator days were over,I made such a mess of my PC by unskilled tinkering that i thought that's it. My twenty year hobby is ended.

To the rescue came a local PC technician who did a remarkable job of fixing the PC and installing a new SSD (old one died which was the start of all the problems)Cdrive and some extra ram to boot.

My problem with serious computer problems is that I have no real skill, but massive levels of persistence in trying to fix things. This usually results in a mess .This particular mess was of epic proportions and as I certainly could not justify the cost of a new PC i contemplated a life without Fs9. (A horrible thought)

Anyway one really big and unexpected bit of good news was that Brad the techno wizz managed to salvage all my data from the old failing drive which meant a much easier and quicker resumption of Fs9 joy.

I am getting ready for a flight tonight to see how things go.

I did create a test flight in which I just left the aircraft flying for two hours unattended and that went ok no ctds etc (which as 9ers will know is a rare almost unknown event these days anyway)

Cheers All

Andrew