FSX crashes to desktop while trying to launch it

cj75s

Hi

I have just developed this problem where FSX crashes about 3 quarters of the way into launching. I have it loaded on my second hard drive which is dedicated to it. After it crashes I find I cannot see the hard drive in explorer. No reference to it in Discs at all. I am running win10 64 bit. have 12gb graphics, AMD quad core processor and 12GB of ram. the hard drive D: has 1.3TB of free space. It worked fine yesterday by the way.

Today I downloaded 2 aircraft and loaded them in. This is when the Launch failed so I deleted both aircraft one first and tried to launch fsx but it crashed. I had to resort to a complete shut down of the pc and restart to get the D: drive to show up. I then deleted the second aircraft I had installed and attempted a launch and the same thing happened. Not until a complete pc restart did I again get my D: drive to show up. I have run malwarebytes - nothing found. I have checked the drive for errors - nothing found. Windows tells me my pc is in perfect health with no viruses etc after I did a deep scan for 5 hrs.

Can anyone shed light on this peculiar behavior

Thanks in advance

cj75s

Regarding the crash on launch (but not the mysterious disappearing hard drive), go to the location of your ‘fsx.cfg’ file (something like ‘User/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX’).

Remove ‘fsx.cfg’ and ‘wxstationlist.BIN’ via cut and paste to a temporary storage folder. FSX will build new ones on the next start.

Sometimes the FSX program gets confused on closing and adds files ‘Previous flight.FSSAVE’, ‘Previous flight.FLT’, ‘Previous flight.WX’ and possibly ‘navlog0.HTM’ to the folder. Remove those files via cut and paste, and store them temporarily as well.

Start FSX.

WS

Where can I find that file mrzippy. Thankyou

Should be in your My Documents folder in a folder called Flight Simulator X. The file is called logbbok.bin

You can either delete it or cut it and paste to a safe spot to be repaired. Restart FSX and a new file will be rebuilt. Look in the Library here for a logbook repair tool to fix your old file, if that is what you prefer.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

well its installed on drive D: not my C: drive where windows is installed. D: is dedicated to fsx.

I have done everything thats been suggested but on attempting to launch fsx 2 minutes ago it just crashed to desktop and said it couldnt read from the drive. Now when I looked in explorer the drive D: is missing. However when I signed out and in again D: was there. No other programs launched does this.

The other thing is that when logged in as administrator FSX works ok. Its the same FSX thats on D:.

Has this something to do with my login. I'll maybe try and make a new login and see if the problem crops up under that one once I've remembered how to share everything with the new login that is... old age...

Thanks for all your help guys.

right, so I thought maybe its my task bar icon launcher thats to blame. Why I don't know but it was a long shot. so I deleted my task bar launcher and launched the game from D: microsoft etc..

IT worked. fsx managed to open after a while that is and further questions later I was in. SSo I shut it down and then went to D:/Microsoft etc .. . . and right clicked the file fsx.exe and pinned it to the task bar and then launched fsx from there and hey preesto it worked, but a few of my aircraft are missing espescialy the default DC3 etc and a lot of my newly loaded paint jobs for default aircraft. this is strange,

never got to producing a new log-in.

anyone got any ideas as to what has happened?

Its really strange, maybe cause it wa on my D: drive my PC has been saved, I dont know?

Edited by cj75s
adding extrta

Yes everything was there. As I said it started ok when I logged in as the Administrator but on my normal log in it crashed. However as I have now created a new launch copy of fsx.exe it seems to work ok.

Thanks for all your ideas people. Its really good there is a forum like this.

cj