Trouble Editing an FSX.cfg File

pdmike

I recently installed FSX (Steam Version) onto Windows 11. It works fine. But I am trying to configure FSX to my liking and one of the first things I want to do is configure it so that it opens directly to my default flight screen. I don't want to have to go through the opening screen.

I have spent over an hour trying to do this and have run out of gas. I am able to access the FSX.cfg file in my Users/appdata folder. I have located the Show_opening-screen=1 file, so let's not worry about all of the steps leading up to that.

My problem is EDITING the Show_opening-screen=1 file to change it to Show_opening-screen=0, which will achieve my desired result.

How do I edit that bad boy? There are all kinds of solutions on Google, but none of them seem applicable and/or flat don't work.

I take it that it's not a matter of just changing the 1 to a 0, but saving it? If the program is installed into the default location, then it is the Program Files protection keeping it from being changed.

https://winaero.com/windows-11-disable-user-account-control-uac/

Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

maybe: 'uncheck' : settings/general : show Opening-Screen or check if you full 'Administrative edit rights' in properties of FSX.cfg.

Just save FSX.cfg to somewhere else on the drive, then transfer it back to the OE location, overwriting as you go over the original..