How realistic is Microsoft flight simulator 2020

I've been playing flight Sims all my life and have gotten pretty good at them especially since the release of msfs2020. Each time I tell people a have a full flight sim set up they ask "so you'll be able to save us during a plane crach" and it got me thinking how realistic is smfs2020? I guess this question is for all my pilots friends but other than resistance on the controls how realistic is the mechanics of the game?

IMHO only, not very 'true to life' realistic. But visually stunning. The loss of control feedback, spatial awareness etc are key elements to controlled real-life flight......IMHO

But assuming you mean pre-crash or loss of actual pilot's ability to fly the plane? A simmer would be able to recognize the gauges/screens and someone WOULD be able to talk them all the way down to the crash site.

Edited by chicagorandy

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Back in 2011 I had one of those “trial flights”. To say it was my first (& only) time at the controls of a real plane I took to it rather quickly. Years of flight simming certainly helped, and back then the sims were no where near as good as MSFS.

As for special awareness.. we do have that now to a degree, with VR.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I would go along with Steve below. Having started flying real planes in 1970 (retired 3200 hours and almost 70 different aircraft) and having instructed on real ones and now on RC planes, I tell all students whether on Flightsim or Rc planes, its just another kind of aircraft they are all different with their own characteristics. Some flightsim models are abysmal and some real planes are just plane !! dangerous.

The more types you get in the easier it becomes. Overall MSFS2020 is quite amazing.

I've been playing flight Sims all my life and have gotten pretty good at them especially since the release of msfs2020. Each time I tell people a have a full flight sim set up they ask "so you'll be able to save us during a plane crach" and it got me thinking how realistic is smfs2020? I guess this question is for all my pilots friends but other than resistance on the controls how realistic is the mechanics of the game?
Edited by jrdale210

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

It seems all the airlines and many flight training schools use simulators for training a lot nowadays. I have a friend who recently retired as a 747 command pilot for DHL. He told me they use sims on a regular basis, especially when emergency action practice is considered too dangerous RW. Having said that, any sim I and probably 99% of other people in the world could afford at home isn't anywhere close to the sim he flew!

However, as a now disabled RW pilot I feel a lot of the things we learned by rote could have been much easier to grasp if we had simmed them with a personal sim as well. And I heartily recommend any RW pilot or student pilot try them out. I agree with Steve, home sims at least give you a taste and understanding of many terms and some procedures.

Even though I now can't pass a flight physical, I still sim approaches and practice other procedures based on articles in "Flying" as well the AOPA publications. I use RW weather and everything else I can use to simulate RW. It's not the real thing, but it beats not being able to "fly" at all!

IMO, the huge disadvantage to MSFS compared to pretty all the other home sims of the last several years including FSX for simulation reality to RW is that MSFS is limited to a single screen view format.

Being able to look at a center monitor with a view out the windscreen plus using additional screens to expand your side, radio, GPS, etc. views is a real advantage we had with Microsoft products as well as P3D, X Plane etc.

Sadly multiple screen capabilities aren't available with MSFS. I suppose VR lessens that problem as you can turn your head to see what's outside to the left, right, etc. But that's not nearly as natural as what you easily do when you drive your car or fly a RW aircraft with the flick of an eye.

I suggest you fly MSFS if you really like pretty scenery, it's the prettiest and most accurate scenery I've ever seen with a sim. But if you're thinking about using a home sim to help with your RW flight training I believe one of the other sims using multiple screens is a much better choice.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I have no desire to fly for real. It was never about realism for me, just a side hobby and “something to do.”

Most I gain is watching movies; I can see the pilots doing things in cockpits I’m familiar with. In real life, I’m no longer a “white knuckle” airline passenger.

But still, photoreal scenery in FSX and I guess MSFS (I don’t have the latter) is pretty cool to fly over my house and such.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I spent 2 hours flying a Cessna 172 without ever being in a cockpit before. Everything came from FS9.

If I used MSFS, I probably wouldn't be here to tell you about it. lol

Well said! They seem to have lost their mission! It's no longer a sim.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Occasionally this topic pops up and I always reply with the same answer as someone who got his private ticket in the late 1980s long before PC based flight simulators came into homes (and PCs for that matter): If you want to see how well you can do, take an introductory flight at your nearest general aviation airport FBO (fixed based operator).

Do not expect anything to be close to the feel of what you are used to in a static home PC environment in front of a PC screen (or three). There is no realistic stick and rudder feeling in the PC based flight sim, specifically around how an aircraft reacts in yaw-roll (dutch) when hit by cross winds in landing for example. The good thing about PC based flight sims is that you can learn the basics of how to fly as well as navigation like VOR work as well as airspace and ATC coms. Just like we used to have to study in ground school with 1D and 2D diagram book pages while in private pilot training.

That said, if you find yourself doing good on challenges or whatever, chances are you'll do good in the real thing. Just do not expect to be a Top Gun prop spinner out of the gate. If you get challenged to do a 360 turn and hold altitude and succeed after the first few attempts crossing your own air wake with a satisfying bump, you are a natural!

Edited by N069NT
i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

I do think it also depends on how serious or silly one is in using the simulator too. Someone that just wants to burn up clouds at Mach 4 in an edited B-747 with damage turned off, doing vertical loops... well, I don't give much chance of survival in the real world. But... if someone really TRIES to fly it real, learns all about the systems, and does so in muliple aircraft... then yea, I think you and your new passengers at least have a CHANCE of landing without damage. But it's not a guarantee, too many factors can do pearshaped such that even very experienced real ATP pilots can't always salvage.

I do think there's a bit where VARIETY of sim experience could also help. Meaning, not one or two types, but lots of different types, get good at many, learn them, and that can help to adapt rapidly to a real situation.