Weighing My Options: Microsoft Flight Simulator vs. X-Plane

jflyerguy

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I decided here and hope this is an appropriate place to post such message. First, I apologize in advance as I'll probably be all over the place in this post.

I am not new to the Flight Simulator world. I've actually flown FS2004 for years on my older PC and in 2020, purchased FS2020 for my PC I use right now. I However, my computer is not up to par with the hefty requirements that is required of the simulator. I think what I do need is to purchase a new graphics card, but that'll have to come at a later time.

The other day, I decided to bite the bullet on buying X-Plane 11 to see what it's like. I'm not sure yet if I do like it. I first tried the demo version of X-Plane, but half that demo time I was figuring out how to work the simulator, keyboard shortcuts, etc... by the time I finally got in the air the demo time was practically over. That's when I just decided to purchase it in full.

It is a huge difference, more realistic (which is cool) than Microsoft Flight Simulator or at least FS2004; I don't know about the newer version as I haven't flown on it yet.

I admit, I guess really enjoyed and was spoiled of all of the automatic advantages Flight Simulator had (setting squawks, other little details that can be now set manually in X-Plane). I tried flying a Citation on X-Plane & for the life of me, couldn't even begin to find where to turn the engine on, let alone setting the squawk.

I also don't care for the ATC on X-Plane; I liked how in MSFS, you had the ability to request certain runways. X-Plane, you can't. I understand in real life, I don't think pilots of that discretion either when it comes to taxiing, right? Is there a freeware package somewhere that improves the ATC for X-Plane?

Lastly, how does one just fly VFR in X-Plane? I can't figure that one out and always have to file an IFR Flight Plane.

It probably sounds like I'm being lazy wanting most everything set for myself already as Microsoft Flight Simulator did. I get it though, as a more realistic flight simulator that X-Plane is, and in real life most of that stuff is not pre set for a pilot. So I don't want to come across as that lazy person if this makes sense.

All this being said, what is everyone's recommendations? Do you think I'd be better off sticking with Microsoft or keep trying X-Plane. So far, I'm just being left with confusion when it comes to X-Plane but I keep trying when I have the time.

Thanks.

I am not going to go into pros and cons of each Sim - that is up to you and your research. Suffice to say I have had all the Sims, still have XP and MSFS, been Simming all my long life, and am a real-life recreational pilot. For me it is MSFS, and I am confident it is still getting better and better as the effort being put into it is very impressive. Wasn’t there a cheap way, $1 game pass or something, that allows you to test it? Or, its not very expensive so just buy it. Or, just trust me and buy it!!! Cheers.

I am not going to go into pros and cons of each Sim - that is up to you and your research. Suffice to say I have had all the Sims, still have XP and MSFS, been Simming all my long life, and am a real-life recreational pilot. For me it is MSFS, and I am confident it is still getting better and better as the effort being put into it is very impressive. Wasn’t there a cheap way, $1 game pass or something, that allows you to test it? Or, its not very expensive so just buy it. Or, just trust me and buy it!!! Cheers.

Totally understand, thank you. I have already purchased MSFS, purchased it a couple years ago. Unfortunately, it won't run well on my computer I currently have as it brings up a performance warning every time I start it up. I have enough RAM, but I think its mainly my Graphics Card that needs an upgrade. Plus, it seems to be taking forever when it comes to updates.

Sorry, did not register that you already had MSFS! Then make sure that your PC exceeds the min. recommended specs. And maybe try to reduce what other software you have on your PC because MSFS seems to be overly sensitive to other software for alot of people - 2 recent examples I have seen, other audio software and other anti-virus software. Seems to me that other software can be more problematic than actual MSFS add-ons in terms of crashes! I’m sure other posters will be more helpful than me. Good luck! Cheers.

Hi.

I guess you're trying to decide between a PC upgrade plus MSFS or X-Plane plus some addons plus a lot of learning.

I guess you know the score with MSFS in that you are happy that all it will take is a hardware upgrade.

Concerning X-Plane, although I never took it any further I tried the demo in 2020 and loved everything about it except ATC, poor AI traffic and... the unfamiliar user interface & controls. I think you might be better equipped to decide between the two sims after posting questions specific to X-Plane in the sub-forum, especially where addons, the UI or shortcuts are concerned.

Of course, if you make the hardware upgrade, your PC will run both and there's nothing to stop you enjoying the eye-candy in MSFS while continuing to learn in X-Plane.

D

Hi.

I guess you're trying to decide between a PC upgrade plus MSFS or X-Plane plus some addons plus a lot of learning.

I guess you know the score with MSFS in that you are happy that all it will take is a hardware upgrade.

Concerning X-Plane, although I never took it any further I tried the demo in 2020 and loved everything about it except ATC, poor AI traffic and... the unfamiliar user interface & controls. I think you might be better equipped to decide between the two sims after posting questions specific to X-Plane in the sub-forum, especially where addons, the UI or shortcuts are concerned.

Of course, if you make the hardware upgrade, your PC will run both and there's nothing to stop you enjoying the eye-candy in MSFS while continuing to learn in X-Plane.

D

Yeah, I'm thinking more of an upgrade. It looks to me I meet the requirements (minimum) already for MSFS, up until my video card foremost. Minimally speaking, I meet those requirements with 12GB of RAM. Not sure if I can expand the RAM to 16 or if it is at its Max. Current graphics card I have is the NVIDIA GeForce GT1030. I'm trying to find a good in-between; a graphics card that will run well but not too pricey.

I also have to keep in mind the dimensions of the card too as the space to fit a video card is a tad small, barely was able to fit the GT1030 in from my old PC to the new one. Those dimensions are:

4.72 x 6.68in

Yeah, I'm thinking more of an upgrade. It looks to me I meet the requirements (minimum) already for MSFS, up until my video card foremost. Minimally speaking, I meet those requirements with 12GB of RAM. Not sure if I can expand the RAM to 16 or if it is at its Max. Current graphics card I have is the NVIDIA GeForce GT1030. I'm trying to find a good in-between; a graphics card that will run well but not too pricey.

I also have to keep in mind the dimensions of the card too as the space to fit a video card is a tad small, barely was able to fit the GT1030 in from my old PC to the new one. Those dimensions are:

4.72 x 6.68in

It appears that your first upgrade, if you’re able, is your RAM. Most modern flight sims require at least a minimum of 16Gb, with a recommendation of 32Gb. I’m currently running a GTX1080Ti and 32Gb RAM. I lock my FPS at 30 FPS, and MSFS and X-Plane 11 both run reasonably well. Since you already own both, it really isn’t a question of which you should get, but how you can upgrade your system to run them. Then, after you get used to running both, you can decide which you like better.

You can download the X-Plane manual, which tells you more than you probably need to know, from the X-Plane website. MSFS2020 doesn’t have any user manual unless you want to pay for one from a third-party.

4.72 x 6.68in

Sorry, I think you're looking at the totally wrong route. My suggestion is you build or buy a new computer. Picking and choosing parts from vendors such as NEWEGG is pretty easy and then you just plug them into a box, which you obviously already are comfortable with.

I'd suggest minimum 750w power supply though 1KW is better long term, water cooling, minimum 32G ram of course 64G is much better but make sure you buy a motherboard that can deal with it. Plus a nice fast graphics card with as much internal ram as you can afford.

I know this sounds awful expensive in the short term. But my personal experience upgrading, upgrading, etc. led me to do exactly that myself. I ONLY WISH I'D DONE EXACTLY THAT MUCH SOONER THAN I DID!!

BTW: I also have FSX, MSFS, X-Plane, and P3D and see advantages to each. Having said that, the AOPA training info tested MSFS and X-Plane against each other in terms of accuracy and suggested MSFS is better for those who just like to look at scenery but X-Plane is better if you want to actually simulate flying or use a sim to help prepare for a RW license.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.