Frozen gauges in FS2004 on new Windows 10 PC

gcarty

Does FS9 launch if you don't apply any compatibility modes and without run as admin or do one or both of these need to be checked?

FS9 always "launches" whichever compatibility settings I use. The problem I have is that the panel gauges (in 2D panel view) are not updating, except at the moment that a panel window is resized or the sim is switched between Windowed and Full Screen modes...

FS9 always "launches" whichever compatibility settings I use. The problem I have is that the panel gauges (in 2D panel view) are not updating, except at the moment that a panel window is resized or the sim is switched between Windowed and Full Screen modes...

Does it launch with NO settings applied? Compatibility and admin unchecked?

Mark Daniels

is this a laptop or desktop? have you checked with ur puter mfg to see if there is an update for the BIOS? Have you checked the fs9 display settings to make sure u have the proper graphics card selected? have you checked ur system power settings to ensure u are using high performance power plan? just throwing ideas out there.....

- bernie

p.s. no need to call me Capt folks, Capt Flappers is just a name my wife teases me with because of my flight sim obsession. :o

yes

You want to be absolutely positive Norton was not running during install of FS9 and until after first launch to see if the gauges are working. I'd uninstall and reinstall FS9 if you cannot be absolutely positive of this.

I've seen this problem only once before and it related back to onboard graphics. I would try and update drivers. If you can find no other solution, a dedicated card may be the best option.

The problem could potentially also be something else but as you have found, this problem is rare and what are the chances of multiple causes of this particular problem? I'd personally focus on graphics.

Win 10 sucks as certain new hardware can cause issues with old games. I'm surprised you can run onboard graphics with no compatibility settings to be honest. You're the first person I have read of who can do this using Win 10. If there is anyone else, I would be most interested.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

I think my new PC has a trial version of some Norton antivirus software.

I think it would be a very good idea to try FS9 with Norton disabled (and Defender as well should Win10 do a dirty and turn it back on automatically when Norton is disabled).

Just checked: it seems like the gauges work correctly in popup panels when in VC mode.

Not even a straightforward 2D thing either then. Just no updates in the main 2D view until you force a redraw? That sort of confirms that the fault isn't in FS9. How does 2D work in full-screen?

Is your new machine PC & monitor? Can you try a different type of output from the PC, I mean such as DP instead of HDMI, or even VGA? Is it onboard graphics? I couldn't find a reference.

I hesitate to suggest this as your folder structure was obviously deliberately chosen but, if no solution presents itself, it might be worth considering another location, perhaps on C:\

D

Not even a straightforward 2D thing either then. Just no updates in the main 2D view until you force a redraw? That sort of confirms that the fault isn't in FS9. How does 2D work in full-screen?
No gauge updates on 2D panels in either windowed or full-screen modes (although they do update when switching from one mode to the other).

Is your new machine PC & monitor? Can you try a different type of output from the PC, I mean such as DP instead of HDMI, or even VGA?
New PC has HDMI output only: I had to buy an adapter in order to use it with my existing 1920 x 1080 monitor, which is very old and only has VGA input.

Is it onboard graphics? I couldn't find a reference.
Yes, it's onboard graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 730.

Just tried re-installing first the lastest UHD Graphics 730 driver from Intel (filename igfx_win_101.1191.exe) then (after turning off Windows Defender) FS9 itself, to the C:\ drive as suggested by defaid.

Still no joy... :(

It sounds like your graphics aren't set up correctly. If you have a Graphics Control Panel or Command Centre, you'll need to set the Anti-Aliasing in the control panel or command centre and probably switch it off in the sim.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

This thread is getting longer than my memory.

Scraping the barrel... I can't remember if you've tried running FS9 with Norton & Defender both switched off.

-- edit --

A further thought, and probably a bit more useful:

"New PC has HDMI output only: I had to buy an adapter in order to use it with my existing 1920 x 1080 monitor, which is very old and only has VGA input."

Could this be the source of the fault? It does seem like something isn't updating automatically, and only when you force a window refresh. It's a hopelessly long shot but can you borrow a HDMI monitor for a test and connect it directly to your PC? Or fit an old graphics card to your PC?

Edited by defaid