Is Dovetail ever going to do a complete overhaul of FSXSE?

Badger26

I think FSXSE is long overdue for a full and complete overhaul update but unfortunately seems to have taken a backseat development wise since FS2020 came out. I think they should try to fix and completely update FSXSE to really make it so much better at least once since the first time it came out. Global textures could really use a fix and update(improvements such as more realistic roads and scenery updates etc.) and the ATC is still a mess that can be fixed/improved with enough effort and general bugs such as the ones with DirectX 10 are in desperate need for a fix. Also the user interface could use an overhaul as well they could also add features such as custom functions for addon aircraft and the abilitiy to better program a button to operate like a switch, better ways of mapping reverse thrust for the aircraft that do have it and they can and should finally get rid of that pointless homepage. Anyway those are just my thoughts and suggestions for FSXSE improvements. Please feel free to add your own in the comments below. Edited by Badger26

In addition to Loki's comments, keep in mind that FSX SE is mostly a repackaging of the original FSX, since there was demand for another MS sim, and the original DVD packages were basically not available any more -- AND, FSX had it's updates.

In any case, it never was Dovetail's product to modify.

But MSFS (2020) is the latest attempt to have a current MS sim, so is the successor to FSX of all flavors, unlike the approach that Lockheed-Martin was able to take with Prepar3d which DID enhance FSX to a large degree, and surpassed what most people expected, though not always in the way some folks wanted.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Yes I know. I did try FS2020 shortly after it came out but felt let down. It was as if Microsoft threw everything they knew and learned about FSX out the window and needlessly stared from scratch. I did not like the new interface they came up with at all, ATC STILL sucked and programming buttons somehow got even worse. It also performed horribly on a laptop that ran FSX with hardly any issues meaning Microsoft needlessly inflated the spec requirements to allow it to run decently on a non gaming PC. I felt FS2020 was more targeted to gamers on Xbox who never have picked up flight simming than people who just want a good realistic and easy to use flight sim for their PC. They were more focused on using FS to make money off gamers rather than making a good successor to FSX to the people who have been dedicated to the hobby for years.

Yes I know. I did try FS2020 shortly after it came out but felt let down. It was as if Microsoft threw everything they knew and learned about FSX out the window and needlessly stared from scratch. I did not like the new interface they came up with at all, ATC STILL sucked and programming buttons somehow got even worse. It also performed horribly on a laptop that ran FSX with hardly any issues meaning Microsoft needlessly inflated the spec requirements to allow it to run decently on a non gaming PC. I felt FS2020 was more targeted to gamers on Xbox who never have picked up flight simming than people who just want a good realistic and easy to use flight sim for their PC. They were more focused on using FS to make money off gamers rather than making a good successor to FSX to the people who have been dedicated to the hobby for years.

Badger26,

The above is your opinion and you are entitled to have it and state it, but there are many millions of Flight simmers (dedicated and casual) that would disagree with much of what you stated above.

Let's look at a few things:

"It also performed horribly on a laptop that ran FSX with hardly any issues meaning Microsoft needlessly inflated the spec requirements to allow it to run decently on a non gaming PC"

This is true of all new software, not just limited to MSFS. I have video editing software that will not run on older computers that used run older editing software. Updates in computer hardware and software will always be improving and are not guaranteed to be backward compatible.

"It was as if Microsoft threw everything they knew and learned about FSX out the window and needlessly stared from scratch."

Many of the operations from FSX are the same in MSFS. Many things had to be built from the ground up. For example, scenery from satellite images rendered on the fly (new technology), 64 bit code for the new Sim. This is just 2 examples.

"programming buttons somehow got even worse."

Myself (my opinion) I find the programming pretty easy. Plus you can now have profiles for different aircraft (or types of aircraft) without resorting to 3rd party software.

Some people will like the new sim and some people will hate it. This is fine, this is life. There are a great many more people that like the new sim than there are that do not like it.

Just for the record, I use both FSX and MSFS on the same computer., I like them both for different reasons. As with any software, game or otherwise, you have to have the hardware to run them.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.