transfer FS9 to another system

jgf

I plan a clean install of FS9 on a "new" (for me, lol) system, then copy my old install (pruned of anything I'll no longer use - aircraft, scenery, utilities, etc.) over this.

But a problem arises with some payware aircraft and scenery. Installation was around ten years ago and original files and docs are on discs buried in a 12x18 storeroom, so reinstalling will be onerous. Is there a way to determine what files and reg entries are necessary so can just transfer those to new system? (My alternative is to clone the OS, FS9, and the scenery folder (on a different drive), to a small HD or SSD and install that as a vm on the new system.)

Have you by any chance got a spare hard drive or pen drive, if so copy the the files you think you may use on to that then when you do your new install the files will be there to transfer.

I have lots of DVD disks I copied stuff on years ago plus now I have a spare hard drive with lots of FS stuff, I used it a lot to copy an aircraft over.

Col.

Initially installing from disc adds the registry entry for FS.

I have never come across an add-on that creates a registry entry.

John

From another post, some years ago, where someone wanted to do what I'll attempt,

"Everything installed well except the Dream Fleet installers refused to run, even using the XP compatability features of Win7. I was able to get the DC-9 to run fine by copying the files to the appropriate folders, but the 737 can't run because it needs certain entries written into the registry to work..."

Not sure yet which of my payware aircraft will hopefully be transferred (some I no longer fly often enough to be worth the trouble) but there are planes from Dreamfleet, Carenado, Eaglesoft, Digital Aviation, Capt Sim, Justflight, etc.; so reinstalling would be hit-or-miss (after an expedition into the uncharted wilds of my storage locker for the files) and a straight copy of all relevant files/folders found may not work due to those registry dependencies. And I haven't even gotten to payware scenery yet.

the 737 can't run because it needs certain entries written into the registry to work..."

Fair point, but a rare example. From what I have read that aircraft was built for FS2000!

I think you will find the majority of add-ons that don't instantly work will require re-insertion of your registration code rather than using the registry.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!