Panel (Instrument Lights)

Jim Hall

Depending on the relative position of the instrument panel to the sun the instrument panel may become a bit dark. I programmed a button to turn on Panel Lights (keyboard shift-L). The button works only when the time of day is dusk or night but not if the instrument panel is in the shade. Shouldn't the instrument lights be able to be switched on anytime?
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

The FS designers chose to make things work as you see them. Given (IRL) that instrument lights are not all that bright, I doubt that there'd be an appreciable difference with them on unless it was dark outside, or nearly so. Basically the same holds true for runway and other airport lighting, that it's only dusk and later (or IMC conditions) that allow the lights to come on in the sim.

Photographers are very much aware of the HUGE difference between sunlight and various forms of man-made lighting, including differences at different times of day and year, etc. and it takes a very bright artificial light to add appreciably to sunlight, so they often use reflectors to get "fill lights" for their pictures in the sunshine.

So that situation is (almost) "as real as it gets."

Edited by lnuss

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thank you, Larry. Makes sense.
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.