FSX Steam

ac103010

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have to go online at least once. When you click "Go Offline," a flag file is installed that 'proves' your bona fides.

From now on, clicking on the FSX:SE icon will NOT force you to connect. In fact, you can totally disconnect your computer from internet access and still run FSX:SE.

It's not really all that complicated!

Is this with or without the Beta?

I do not have the Beta and FSX:SE will not start without being connected to the Internet.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

This procedure described above did not work for me either. I still get a message when I try to start up FSX SE that says something to the effect that you need to be logged onto Steam.

I just got the Steam edition two days ago (as someone said previously, at that price why not! They must have been looking to sign up a bunch of real airline pilots, whose well-known penchant for penury is legendary!). I certainly hope that it is the offline version, but how can one know for certain?

Another question - how to disable that annoying head bobbing in the VC? I tried changing Momentum Effect to "No" in the cameras.cfg file, but apparently to no avail.

Hi,

I'm beginning to suspect that a language problem may exist. I tend to forget that English is not everyone's native language. When I stated "I was not able to start FSX without having Steam start with an active internet connection." I meant starting both the computer and Steam with no internet accessibility available. In the context of the thread I didn't see the need for further qualification.

A claim was made by Steam that the beta version would allow FSX to be used when no connectivity was available. I did not check whether it worked or not. The FSX update is scheduled to be released in April; this was the last I heard.

Presently, with my computer having no internet access, I can start Steam in off line mode, select a Steam game which I have, such as Dungeon Siege, select to play offline and it starts fine. Not so with FSX:SE as of yet.

In case anyone is curious; I have my Modem, Router, Dish Receiver and a few other things on an outlet switched by a Radio Shack Plug'n'Power controller. A Kill A Watt monitor shows that when all of the equipment is in Standby 70 watts are being consumed. The controller uses 4 watts. I don't leave faucets running either; kind of anal I guess.

Jim F.

Is this with or without the Beta?

I do not have the Beta and FSX:SE will not start without being connected to the Internet.

That is with the Beta. I was mistaken when I believed that the Beta had just been released due to a 57MB 'update' that was installed a few days ago.

Nonetheless, I can confirm that "Offline Mode" will work whenever the next update is released to the public.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

I was running the beta, and it was letting me fly offline.. But since the beta ended,

it seems they turned that off, and now my beta version won't let me fly offline.

And I checked the files, and they are still the beta exe and such from Mar 20.

So it hasn't appeared to revert back to the "stable" version..

Hope they do include that with the next stable update.

Saying that, I find I still use my box version most of the time. I had issues trying to

run ASN under the beta version. But I found out from Pete Dowson that the SE beta

nuked ASN compatibility, and it wasn't on my end.. It seems that ASN 2.0 only works

with the earlier stable version of SE.

OK, I just spoke with a Dovetail Games rep. They said that the "release notes" I had read a couple of weeks ago described the NEXT patch, not the last one. The patch to enable offline mode of FSX:SE is imminent, but HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED YET AS OF MARCH 31, 2015.

Currently, although I have, in fact, run FSX:SE in offline mode at some point in the past couple of months, this was apparently a "fluke" and may in fact have been the beta release, which I didn't know that I had signed up for, but which nonetheless was activated by an inconspicuous check-box being "ticked" in my installation. I just re-tested, and what worked before no longer works for me, i.e. I can no longer run FSX:SE in offline mode.

I apologize for the mistaken info I have posted on this subject. The bottom line on this is that FSX:SE offline mode is scheduled to be fixed/enabled in the UPCOMING patch, due for release within the next few weeks, not the recently-applied one as I had stated.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa. I am SO upset with myself right now. :mad:

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

Archived