User Defined Weather

elmerfudd

There was a time when I used to just download real world weather, but of course that doesn't work anymore. So, I look up the weather from The Weather Network, (or some other site) and feed in the settings.

In FS8, when I select "overcast", I get exactly that: an overcast. If I fly above the altitude in the settings, the view out the windows turns milky white.

In FS9, when I select "overcast", I get a few clouds, but not the solid overcast I am expecting.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall that this used to work better. I have the same problem on three different installs in three different machines.

I should note that things seemed to start going wonky when I created a Silver Wings install and a Golden Wings install on another computer, and copied them over so that I had multiple installs. I'm having all sorts of problems, even though I have since removed those from two of my machines, leaving only the FS9 installs. Things like the timer not keeping accurate track of the flight time, or the state.CFG not keeping an accurate account. For example: I fly five hours, and the state.CFG file for that aircraft increases by 3.5 hours.

I'm beginning to wonder if I need to re-install from scratch.

Advice would be appreciated.

Elmer J. Fudd

Edited by elmerfudd

Thanks, Tom.

I just wasn't sure if the difference between FS8 and FS9 was normal. I should have clarified: I got FS9 within a year of getting FS8. I use the FS9 for long-distance flights, and FS8 for local flights and IFR practice flights. I got used to the world disappearing when I entered the clouds, and was surprised when that didn't happen in the FS9.

Regards,

Elmer J. Fudd

Tom,

I've figured it out. I did a search on state.CFG, and one of the threads brought up the subject of the Hobbs meter in the C172. In actual fact, the meter in the C172 tachometer is not a Hobbs meter. The Hobbs meter is a separate instrument from the tachometer hour meter. The Hobbs meter runs at the same rate as a clock whenever the engine is running, regardless of engine RPM. (Flight schools love those.) The hour meter that is built in to the tachometer runs at a normal rate at a normal cruise RPM, but runs slower at lower RPM. Of late, I've been flying old birds with radial engines, at 2,000 RPM. I suspect that is the cause.

I don't know, how I could have forgotten. Been too long, I guess.

Regards,

Elmer J. Fudd