I got the MSFS 2020 working after the SU5 update, but it required a complete uninstall and re-install. I was not able to fly much on it after a couple of quick flights to prove it was working.

Now I am back to flying it or at least trying to. I'm trying some basic flights on the Cessna 172. And it is not working the same as before the update. And just feels kind of, um, broken.

First item. Taxing on the ground. The plane will not roll until the throttle is above 40% and more like 50% (the throttle positions as displayed on the heads-up on the external display). It used to be 15% or so.

Second item. On power roll to take-off the rudder is very very twitchy. I may not be the greatest at the controls but it is very difficult to hold a straight line. This leads me to sometimes jerk it into the air and get off the ground. I have tried adjusting the sensitivity of rudder pedal control, but if I turn it down any farther it won't turn good enough to make the taxiways.

Climb after takeoff. Climb performance is very poor, at least at first. Full power will not hold any more than a 500 FPM setting for climb in the autopilot. I see it slowing down and it starts to beep the stall warning. It does not help that the AP settings behave kind of strange with the view of the knobs and buttons moving around a bit. After climbing for a couple of minutes the power seems to improve.

So is it working OK for others? I would think there would be more complaints about the flying. Maybe it is working better on other planes. But I assumed that the C172 was the standard for the light planes as it seemed to be more fully developed.

Pat

Is your Flight Model set to Legacy instead of Modern?

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

the rudder is very very twitchy. I may not be the greatest at the controls but it is very difficult to hold a straight line.
FS planes have always always been squirrely on takeoff, but IMO that has gotten better recently, not worse.

The plane will not roll until the throttle is above 40%
Mine starts to roll at about 1,200 RPM (which occurs at about 40% power), which seems about right. Don't ascertain power on a 172 by percent, use RPMs instead. How fast the prop is turning is what matters.

Climb performance is very poor, at least at first. Full power will not hold any more than a 500 FPM setting for climb in the autopilot. I see it slowing down and it starts to beep the stall warning. It does not help that the AP settings behave kind of strange with the view of the knobs and buttons moving around a bit. After climbing for a couple of minutes the power seems to improve.
When I lift off (at about 70kts) my 172 climbs at over 1000 fpm. "full power" is only part of the needed information needed to predict climb rate. Climb rate is dependent on Prop RPM, airspeed, and weight of the aircraft among other things.

With a half a tank of gas and no co pilot, if I climb out at 2450 RPM (full power), I get almost 1,400 fpm. When I throttle back to 2200 rpms the climb rate drops to about 500 fpm.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Where I said: "With a half a tank of gas and no co pilot, if I climb out at 2450 RPM (full power), I get almost 1,400 fpm. When I throttle back to 2200 rpms the climb rate drops to about 500 fpm."

That was at 70 kts airspeed.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

It is set to Modern. As it has been since it was originally installed. Just checked.

Since you had to do a complete reinstall, I’d suggest checking the settings for the following:

- Keyboard/Mouse/Joystick assignments for rudder and brakes

- Assistance Options: Turn them off

- Flap setting when you get in the plane. Sometimes its on 1 notch and sometimes it’s not.

Since you had to do a complete reinstall, I’d suggest checking the settings for the following:

- Keyboard/Mouse/Joystick assignments for rudder and brakes

- Assistance Options: Turn them off

- Flap setting when you get in the plane. Sometimes its on 1 notch and sometimes it’s not.

Thanks for the advice. I have checked some of the flight control but not a thorough check, so I will go back and take a look. It seems like it kept the settings, but I was checking rudder sensitivity after the 2nd problem mentioned in my original post. By the way I am using an Xbox controller - USB connected - as the joystick and some of the controls. The rudders map to the left and right 'triggers' on the controller.

I have the assistance on for the ATC.

I tried switching to the DA40 for a couple of flights. The throttle response and rudder seemed to be much better - the same as before the update.