mfd control panel gauge?

dehman137

If what you expect is what's really requested, then asking how to place the gauge in it's own window or panel or popup would have seemed more obvious to me, but the request doesn't read anything like that.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

It's interesting the way the OP stated his request. Does he actually want just a popup of the original EFIS or is it a request for one that has different features for the MFD display?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Yes, this is what I was thinking when I read it because "technically" a "custom" gauge is one that is developed as a replacement for standard default gauges provided by Microsoft, so the gauge in question is ALREADY a "custom" gauge, so reads like he doesn't like it and wants a replacement.

In this case, the suggested request AND the first attempted interpretation do not make sense from a practical view.

This is why I asked for the request to be rephrased so we can learn the PURPOSE of the request.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Sorry, what I mean was like a window instrument panel you can pop up from the toolbar. See how there is one for the fs9 777, (sorry, Im not quite sure what the mfd control panel is called)

vc mfd panel.jpg

I was wondering if there is a freeware version for download somewhere and if you guys knew of one, thanks.

In payware aircraft, gauges are custom built to work with each other and swapping in gauges from freeware will not work because custom payware gauges will only talk to gauges from the same package. This is also typical of complex freeware gauges which are not part of the FSX default planes. They are specifically coded only to work with the same gauge package.

If you are looking for replacements for payware gauges, but you want them to be from freeware vendors, you are not likely to find any. The motivation for freeware vendors to spend time replacing payware vendor's work is very low and requires the freeware vendor to have access to payware vendor code which is not always possible.

If you have purchased a payware package and don't like the looks or how it works, you should contact the payware vendor. If you do not understand how the payware works, nearly all of them have extensive documentation and support forums.

What further complicates the issue for me, is in your example above in message 7, you are displaying a PAYWARE add-on called ISG but you are asking for freeware.

-Pv-

The PLANE MIGHT be freeware, but the ISG FMC package which can be added onto any plane which you are displaying is not. I have the same package and I had to pay for it.

I know of no freeware FMC package. These are quite difficult to create, so the motivation for a freeware vendor to create one is low.

-Pv-

BTW. I think what you want specifically is called an FMC "Flight Management Computer"

I hope I was clear enough if the plane you want to fly does not have one and only has an FSX compatible Autopilot (it might look different but functions the same as a default autopilot) the only add-on I know of which adds a fully functional FMC to a plane which does not have one is the ISG payware you already have.

That particular package can be modified to work with ANY aircraft and there is no limit to how many of your aircraft library you can modify to use this package. If flight dynamics templates don't already exist for the plane you want to use it for, one can be created although it can be quite challenging to create one from scratch which is accurate. In addition to the two or three templates the package comes with, I have created ini files for the 727 and Concorde.

-Pv-

Well, there is this FMC, that apparently works in both FSX and FS9, as several panels in FS9 library call for it as a requirement.

I don't know if that's what you want, but it does exist...and it IS freeware. By Garret Smith.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Sorry, what I mean was like a window instrument panel you can pop up from the toolbar. See how there is one for the fs9 777, (sorry, Im not quite sure what the mfd control panel is called)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177619[/ATTACH]

I was wondering if there is a freeware version for download somewhere and if you guys knew of one, thanks.

OK, you have marked in RED (Twice) the EFIS (Electronic Flight Information Systems) Panel.

F16jockey_2, who replied earlier with the method for making the panel in a 737 pop up, then got mad at us for interfering and took his ball and went home. What exact 737 did you download and is this what you actually want? This panel does affect what is displayed on the MFD(Multi-functional Display).

OK, you have marked in RED (Twice) the EFIS (Electronic Flight Information Systems) Panel.

F16jockey_2, who replied earlier with the method for making the panel in a 737 pop up, then got mad at us for interfering and took his ball and went home. What exact 737 did you download and is this what you actually want? This panel does affect what is displayed on the MFD(Multi-functional Display).

This is correct. He wants a different EFIS control panel for the FSX 737.. Nothing to

do with the FMC, which the default 737 does not have at all. Don't know why the

confusion being as he outlined in red what he was looking for.. :/

BTW, I know of no such add on EFIS control panel for the FSX 737, but then again, I

haven't looked either.. I've tried the freeware FMC.. It's better than nothing at all, but

it's not really like the one in a real 737 too much, or at least in the manner that the PMDG

version is.

The confusion really stems mostly from Microsoft mislabeling the EFIS control panel. :p

And the device it mostly controls is usually referred to as the navigational display, not the

multi function display. IE: or at least as in the "PFD-ND" layout which the default 737 uses.

There is also an EFIS-MAP display that some airlines use/used, but that's not what the

default FSX 737 uses.

I sort of suspect the reason he wants another one, is some of the functions on the FSX

version don't.. function. :(

"I was wondering, is there a custom gauge available for the mfd control panel."

That might be want he really wants. A fully functioning panel.

-Pv-

This is correct. He wants a different EFIS control panel for the FSX 737.. Nothing to

do with the FMC, which the default 737 does not have at all. Don't know why the

confusion being as he outlined in red what he was looking for.. :/

BTW, I know of no such add on EFIS control panel for the FSX 737, but then again, I

haven't looked either.. I've tried the freeware FMC.. It's better than nothing at all, but

it's not really like the one in a real 737 too much, or at least in the manner that the PMDG

version is.

The confusion really stems mostly from Microsoft mislabeling the EFIS control panel. :p

And the device it mostly controls is usually referred to as the navigational display, not the

multi function display. IE: or at least as in the "PFD-ND" layout which the default 737 uses.

There is also an EFIS-MAP display that some airlines use/used, but that's not what the

default FSX 737 uses.

I sort of suspect the reason he wants another one, is some of the functions on the FSX

version don't.. function. :(

OK, I agree with you and that's why, in my first post to the OP, I was wondering the same about a panel that would give different optional displays to the MFD, like a map and GPS waypoints . I have a 747 panel that will do that for the MFD.

In the panel.cfg file of the b737-800 (default).

You will find,

the

[VCOCKPIT01]

section.

(That defines the VC.)

in there you find:

gauge28=B737_800!efis_control_panel, 672,815,143,76

That, defines where the MFD control panel comes. The gauge file itself is part of b737.cab.

Often, adding the line to another panel gives the entire gauge. And with it you could then also create a popup gauge.

But in this case, not so much. I tested, and I 'knocked out' The MFD control panel line, by placing // in front of it. (That way FSX skips the line). Then I loaded a flight with the default 737.

Only the buttons disappeared. Not the little panel itself.

That means that if you create a small panel, and then add this gauge, you will only see a row of buttons on it. You would then also have to draw a nice background image for it and incorporate it in the panel. not undoable, but there may be simpeler solutions. (If you can find a nice seperate download.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I should Add:

Adding a gauge to a VC isn't easy. There has to be room for it. You can't just stick it anywhere. Each button you see in the VC (and each gauge) fit's exactly in a 'hole' in the VC.

In the 2D pane it's no problem. This is a simple image, and you can add anything on top of that image.

Some things are possible with the VC. I once put the 747 VC in the 737.

Then I substituted the Engine control display in the 747 VC with the Engine Control display from the 737 VC.

I also replaced the 747 clock with the 737 flaps indicator.

Both the same shapes, so after resizing they filled the gap.

But putting the MFD controls in the 747VC would not work. The MFD controls there don't work, and are just part of the dashboard. You can't just 'stick on' a gauge in that spot.

In the 2D cockpit yes, In the 3D cockpit VC, no.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

dehman137

If you want to play around a little with some panels.... fsx_tds_737ng_wv_panel_project.zip in the File library. I loaded up KW_TDS738_FSXWV into my default 737-700 folder and tried it. It has buttons that seem to work for the EFIS/MFD Display. I will post a screenshot.

EFIS 737.JPG

Archived