Scenery .bgl Question

paulfar

I recently deleted an add-on scenery (LDDU-Dubrovnik), however, during the installation process I was required to place a modified .bgl (FL952160) in the SCENERY>EURW>SCENERY folder. After I deleted this scenery I found that I must not have saved the default FL952160 .bgl (my bad), so I left the modified .bgl in place, thinking that it's better to have something rather than nothng. I don't have a clue as to what this .bgl is or does, sooo, should I try to extract the default .bgl from one of the FS9 discs or can I leave well enough alone. I do have a tutorial re: extracting files from FS9 discs, but I've never done it before.

My question is: how important is this particular .bgl and do I need to have any concerns with leaving the modified one in place?

Thanks for any guidance,

Paul

That is a flatten file that creates the flat areas for airports at specific elevations.

I would assume that while the file in question controls many airports, the only one that is different from the defaults is LDDU.

A quick check of LDDU and nearby airports will determine the need for replacing the addon file with the default file (which is not really hard to do anyway).

BTW, I am typically very careful with any addon that requires replacing default scenery files.

There are other ways to accomplish the same thing.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

So far I have received no error messages or any strange FS9 behavior since I deleted the above mentioned scenery, however, I've only completed a couple of flights which were many hundreds of miles from LDDU.

Bean: Based on your comments I'll take a spin around LDDU to include T/O and landings to see if there is any problem and report back here.

Paul

BTW, I am typically very careful with any addon that requires replacing default scenery files.

Or at least do a backup before installing. It's strongly recommanded to backup periodically the whole FS anyway. And further have always a virgin FS9 installed too. Finally it's more simple to get a file from there, than search in the CD's. Just for the future!

Bernard

Thanks to everyone that responded. I succcessfully extracted the .bgl in question from FS9 Disc#3 and placed it in the proper folder. A good learning experience.

Bean: The link you provided contained the same extract instructions that I have in my Favorite Places repository. Kudos to Jim Robinson for a much needed helping hand.

Regards,

Paul

Archived