Stay with 2004 or go with 2020?

I have read the recommended specs for a computer to run MSFS 2020. Attached is an image of what I have vs. the minimums. I have been running FS 2004 which runs fine for my needs. I would really like to get 2020. My question is, will 2020 run at all on my computer? Am I better off staying with 2004 or should I get 2020? I think you know what I mean. What are your opinions?

Thanks and Happy New Year

Dave Schwartz

MSFS Requirements.jpg

It's already saying your video card will not work (I would update the drivers as well, 5 years is a touch long :) )

16 gigs of RAM is also the sweet spot.

Just my 2 cents :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I think the upgrade list you posted yesterday will run fs2020 ok in high end resolution and may handle ultra. 6 weeks ago I would say hold off, but things have changed I found it to be stable now with just a few bugs. I now recommend upgrading to 2020, you will instantly notice how advanced this sim really is.... The basic computer speck MS give out is only for playing in the lowest of lowest resolution settings. ad that would be a complete waste of money and time imo... for me it's about realism, so if you have the power in your rig it's worth buying now, but remember it still has the odd bug but I guarantee it will place a smile on your face......

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Looks like it's time for a memory upgrade (16gb is much better than 8) as well as a better graphics card with at least 4GB ? IF your motherboard will support it. Also running everything from a 1TB M.2 SSD chip greatly improves performance over a spinning older technology HD.

IMHO just meeting the Min specs should allow crash-free "running" MSFS 2020 with everything set to the lowest settings, but you can pretty much forget about enjoying the better graphics and immersion experience of 2020.

MSFS 2020 places some intense demands on PCs, especially if you want things set to Ultra. My "Recommended" level desktop allows me to run most everything at "Middle - High".

In the end only YOU can decide if it's worth it to upgrade to this great new product. I am more than pleased I chose to spend the $$ to upgrade my gear and fly it. And as it is with ALL things, I only gotta keep ME happy.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Chicagorandy, what do you mean by "Also running everything from a 1TB M.2 SSD chip greatly improves performance over a spinning older technology HD."? Don't get too technical, I'm not a computer whiz. Also, is there a website or something in Windows 10 or maybe on the Dell site that can tell me how much RAM and what kind of graphics card my computer can take? Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave, your hard drive is the old, spinning type. Solid state drives are much better. They are faster & have no moving parts. Randy was referring to an even newer type of solid drive, called an M2 drive which is even faster. However, I doubt your motherboard will support these.

As it stands, your computer’s processor is about the minimum spec required for the new sim, same goes for your RAM, but you really need 16gb minimum.

Your graphics card is under the required minimum. You could upgrade your graphics card to the minimum, or even to the recommended spec, but I think you’d be better off getting a brand new pc if you could.

As you’ll know from flying previous flight sims, you can’t really enjoy them if you have the minimum specs, especially with this new “fantastic scenery” sim. You really want to be at the recommended level at least.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

The Dell website or their support phone rep 'should' be able to let you know what upgrades your exact model PC's motherboard is able to accept.

I know the HP website was MY guide when I added RAM memory, the M.2 SSD card and a new graphics card to run MSFS.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Dave, one more thing to check.. how fast is your internet connection? Although the new sim does have an offline mode, it runs best when you’re online. It can take a few hours to download it too depending on your broadband. Still worth it though :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles