Microsoft FSX vs Steam FSX ?

westway

Ok, I've settled it for the Lenovo W540. I've done a straight comparison with the same settings file and saved flight (Rio de Janeiro, daytime, clear weather, Learjet, 30 degree banked turn off runway at 80% throttle).

Results are:

FSX disc: 30-50 FPS

FSX:SE 60-80 FPS

All of your add-ons and the weather as well as the location where you recorded these frames were EXACTLY the same?

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

All of your add-ons and the weather as well as the location where you recorded these frames were EXACTLY the same?

-Pv-

yep, I copied over the settings and saved flight files. The only add-on I had was GEX and UTX Europe, which is why I chose Brazil for this test.

UPDATE: doh, I hadn't installed the acceleration pack on the disc version. I've done this now and repeated the test - and updated the results in my previous post.

FSX:SE is still noticeably faster, but not as dramatic a difference when compared to FSX without the acceleration pack.

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

• 4 months later...

FSX SE does NOT have to be online to work. Steam offline mode works perfectly well with FSX, with only the multiplayer menu not being available (obviously).

And yes I dont particularly like Steam or its practices, however as the data is actually on your system and paid for they cannot legally stop you using it. They can only stop you accessing Steam. As such there are perfectly legal routes you can take to ensure your SE version never stops working due to "Steam" issues.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My opinion...

I don't like to 'rent' software;)

W33

Do you not realize that you don't actually "own" any of the software you use. It is only "licensed" for you to use. Ownership is retained by the author(s) and/or companies who pay the author(s).

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

• 2 years later...
No one here understands copyright law and licensing. Under court and law rules, the creator of software (or any idea for that matter) is the owner of that item and has the choice of either selling it and giving up all rights to it (as well as supporting it) or licensing it to you for your personal use and support usually comes with it, but not always. You MUST read the license terms to understand that there is NO guarantee that the item will work! They license it as is, you buy it for a particular purpose but they do no guarantee that this purpose is something they have planned for. That, in simple terms why you license software and not sell it. You are not "renting"anything as you only pay a license fee once. This is the primary reason there are copyguards as you cannot transfer it to anyone becausee you don't "own" it and have no real tangible right to it except as defined in the license. READ IT!

• 7 months later...
I had both installed and running for a few weeks, then I got rid of my old Deluxe Edition to simplify addon installations. To me, the advantages to using FSX-SE over FSX are:

1. Service Packs plus "Deluxe and/or "Acceleration" or their equivalents are included.

2. Performance of SE is slightly better on modern machines due to some modernization tweaks.

3. FSX-SE is being actively supported and developed by its new dev team and publisher. This implies that future modernizations and enhancements are likely.

There are only two disadvantages that I have found:

1. Not all addons will work yet with SE. I have found that this failure can be mostly an installer issue in many cases (but not all cases- VATSIM & most PMDG airplanes, for example), where the installers are hard-coded with the wrong FSX installation path but the addons themselves will work fine if they are correctly installed manually. Based on online info, many addon developers/publishers are working to tweak their products for SE, so this issue will go away over time.

2. You must have Internet connectivity to log into Steam and launch the game, and the Steam offline mode simply does not work for FSX. This is not an issue for me, but could be for some users.

EDIT TO ADD: Steam has just announced that the imminent update, now in public beta, will allow FSX:SE to run in OFFLINE Mode, thereby eliminating this FORMER disadvantage. This development also reinforces my "advantage #3" above. :)

good summary.....thank you.

good summary.....thank you.

Why are we even discussing this? Steam is the ONLY current source for FSX unless you find the FSX disks in a store or sale. If you don't like the business model `Steam licensing` then you can't license FSX. Tough.

X-Plane, Aerofly 2, Flight Sim World, DCS, P3D or something else awaits - But be sure to check their business models because you can't own their sims either...

Simple.

Move on people, nothing to see here.

Archived