CTD after an hour of flying

This is not a new problem, ever since the sim has come out, I can only fly about an hour before it, stutters, the sound goes away and I get a CTD.

I have checked the hardware end of things, nothing plugged in (extra), just my HID mouse, my Logitech keyboard (although it and the mouse are wireless) ???

Windows is up to date, as is the sim.

I do have two different types of memory in terms of speed, however, it is my understanding that the computer will adjust the higher speed memory to match the lower speed.

Any other suggestions?

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Hi David, what speeds are your memory modules? Personally I’d reduce them slightly (by just one notch) & see if that solves it (it certainly did for me a few weeks back)

I don’t know if having two difference speeds could be the issue though. Will your bios let you reduce the speeds individually?

I would probably replace them so that they’re all the same speed.. & also then reduce them by one notch (eg: change default of 3600 to 3400mhz)

Maybe you could change the speeds in the bios so that they’re all the same speed?

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Hi Steve, it was at 2133, I took it down via the BIOS to 2000

I actually have 4 8 gig modules on the way, all the same speed, 3000

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Hi David, 2133 is the default speed for DDR4. All DDR4 modules must be able to run at that speed.

However, most modules can run faster (like yours run at 3000)

What you could try is reduce them down by one notch.. to 2800? There’s always a tolerance and even though your modules say they can run at 3000mhz it could be close to their limits, or at least this is how I understand it.

I have 4 modules which claim they can run at 3600. I used to get CTDs but since dropping mine down to 3400 I haven’t had a single CTD in weeks.

Hope this helps

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Well, I did take them down 1 notch to 2000, lasted an 1 hour 28 minutes, then CTD.

Hoping the new RAM comes today :)

Do you have any addons in the Community Folder? Some will cause CDT when you near the location or a livery at an airport was causing problems for me.

I do have some, however, my CTD occurs at different airports, or not even near an airport. It's seems to be related to how long I've been in the air.

I got the new RAM installed, however, it wants to auto the speed of the RAM, will not let me lower it. We shall see, about to go from KATL to KJAX, 2 hour flight.

Well, it crashed at the 38 minute mark, and per the Crucial Memory scan, it is running at 2133

Did you change any voltages while you were playing with overclocking your old memory?

No I did not. Seeing how I can upgrade the BIOS, if I can

Have you backed off the overclocking on the CPU?

This reeks of being an overclocking issue to me.

I have not overclocked anything. I cannot OC my CPU, that option is not available.

Then I don't know what kind of processor you have. My Google machine tells me there is no such thing as an i7-6400. I thought you were running an overclocked i5-6400.

Forgetting that miscommunication, I'd say your problem has to be either the CPU/memory taking a glitch once in a while or the graphics card taking a hit. The only way to isolate which is which would be to swap one or the other out. However, you might try to increase the airflow through the graphics card or the CPU cooler (hopefully one at a time) to see if that changes the rate of failure.

Do you have CPU and GPU temperatures displayed?

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Then I don't know what kind of processor you have. My Google machine tells me there is no such thing as an i7-6400. I thought you were running an overclocked i5-6400.

Forgetting that miscommunication, I'd say your problem has to be either the CPU/memory taking a glitch once in a while or the graphics card taking a hit. The only way to isolate which is which would be to swap one or the other out. However, you might try to increase the airflow through the graphics card or the CPU cooler (hopefully one at a time) to see if that changes the rate of failure.

Do you have CPU and GPU temperatures displayed?

I appreciate the help.

I am running an I7-6700

I have been looking at the CPU and GPU temps, CPU around 78 (does not get any higher)

GPU 53

Is it your new ram that is 3000mhz?

You don’t want to touch the default 2133mhz (I didn’t even think you could lower that)

All DDR4 ram will run without issues at 2133.

What I meant was to reduce your 3000mhz down one notch (to 2800?)

Your bios will probably be set to auto but there should be a setting where you can change the ram speed slightly. Hope this helps

Regards

Steve

Is it your new ram that is 3000mhz?

You don’t want to touch the default 2133mhz (I didn’t even think you could lower that)

All DDR4 ram will run without issues at 2133.

What I meant was to reduce your 3000mhz down one notch (to 2800?)

Your bios will probably be set to auto but there should be a setting where you can change the ram speed slightly. Hope this helps

Regards

Steve

Steve, if I knew where that setting was, I would take it down a notch. It is set to auto in the BIOS, XMA is turned on, will turn it off and see what happens.

Using the new RAM, got me 1 hour 2 minutes before CTD

Is there an error log that MSFS produces to see what caused the CTD?

If you haven't already done so use the appropriate software to monitor you CPU and GPU at the same time. For AMD it's called Adrenaline; I don't know the proper one for Nvidia. You may find bottlenecking in your system. The processor is either too slow or too fast for the GPU, the system will start skipping frames. Or you may find either one is loafing along. In my case my CPU and GPU were loafing along and found I could put more load on the GPU and now get 50 to 60 fps. Also, after a CTD, restart the system and use the Windows event viewer to see what caused the crash. That way you reduce the chance of chasing an unknown problem with large amounts of cash.
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, GIGABYTE AMD Radeon 5700XT, 32mb DDR4 RAM @ 3600 mbs, Asrock X570 motherboard

All these reports of CTD after a period of time is suggesting to me things are getting a little warm and eventually the CPU is shutting down. Can you check your temperatures during the flight and see if they are spiking? I use a little utility called "Speccy" which allows me to monitor everything that's going on "under the hood".

All these reports of CTD after a period of time is suggesting to me things are getting a little warm and eventually the CPU is shutting down. Can you check your temperatures during the flight and see if they are spiking? I use a little utility called "Speccy" which allows me to monitor everything that's going on "under the hood".

Hi Terry, I have been monitoring my CPU temps, they never go higher then 78 degrees. I use CORE Temp myself, but will try Speccy out. High CPU temps is one of the first things that I've checked. My GPU is only running at 48-50 degrees.

Hi David, I still think Ram speed is the problem. I don’t know what your bios is like, but I take it clicking on “auto” doesn’t open a box, listing available speeds? or maybe there’s a chevron or triangle to click on. Maybe you can auto to manual and then select the speed.

I went through loads of checks when I used to get CTDs... temperatures etc. I uninstalled MSFS & even Windows several times. Eventually figuring out that my Ram was causing it.

Regards

Steve

G7rta, I don't see why ram speed would be suspect. David says he never overclocked anything and he's replaced his ram...................

Had you overclocked your ram? How did you "fix" the ram problem?

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

G7rta, I don't see why ram speed would be suspect. David says he never overclocked anything and he's replaced his ram...................

Had you overclocked your ram? How did you "fix" the ram problem?

I have never overclocked either. MSFS doesn’t like overclocked hardware & will often crash as a result.

When I upgraded my pc earlier in the year (new motherboard..cpu..etc I also upgraded my ram to 64gb, with a speed of 3600mhz. Now presumably no module is ever exactly the same. There are tolerances, and although my ram was listed at 3600, it might have struggled to run constantly at that speed. When I was testing msfs I would leave my plane parked up in about the same spot. MSFS would usually crash after 6-8 hours. If I was flying, it would be much sooner. Sometimes within just a few minutes.

I browsed the usual forums & asked for suggestions. Tried everything, fearing that it might have been the new cpu or GPU.

Finally I reduced my ram speed very slightly, from 3600 to 3400 & that was it. So simple! I don’t get CTDs at all now. Prior to this, I did try reducing the speed even more but for some reason that didn’t help (I have no idea why) but just dropping it by one setting fixed it.

Others on the official forums have done the same too.

Regards

Steve

Hi all-Steve you mentioned earlier about reducing the speed of my RAM via the Bios. I've tried, brought it down to 2800, 2000. The problem is the ONLY way I could get it to pass the POST was to have the RAM speed set on Auto, doing it manually did not work. This is with the new RAM.

To my knowledge, I have not OC anything, however, that being said, there is a setting, and I cannot remember it without going into the BIOS that starts with "X" (xpm?) and is suppose to OC the RAM from what I have read. Tried disabling that, could not get it past the POST either.

I remember reading on this forum about controllers, peripherals causing CTD, so I have moved my joystick from the front to the back. I've been flying around Florida for the past 3 hours. I plan to keep going to about 4-5 hours, land, and before I go to bed, attempt a cross county trip while I am sleeping. Not saying it is fixed, so stay turned :)

Hi David, I hope you’ve found the solution. Don’t get your hopes up just yet though (I’ve been there) but let’s hope your sleigh.. er, I mean aircraft is still flying in the morning.

Merry Christmas

Steve

Gta this is all very interesting.

Here's the story as far as I can see; you have a maximum gamer's motherboard and a fast CPU, so they will support 3600mz (or in this case will almost support 3600mz). David is using a I7-6700 processor which can only keep up with 2133mz memory timing and his motherboard also would have limitations and probably won't support anything faster than 2133mz. So David is not out in the extremes as you are. And the problem remains with new memory modules.

I think the problem lies elsewhere.