Major scenery problem

Botched uninstall? Yes, I do. You are lucky (and I'm surprised) it is still working. You will need to clean out FSX completely (try uninstalling it again, and let it finish), then start from scratch. Before you uninstall FSX, remove any FSX-related addons you have added (no pun intended).

So is a repair different to an uninstall then an install?

Corsair Obsidian 550D Asus Z97 Pro Gamer, SLI, CrossfireX Intel Core I7 4790K Quad Core with HT pro OC'd to 4.6GHz 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz 2 x 4GB EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 250GB Samsung EVO SSD and 2TB HDD3XS Corsair Hydro H100 cooler with dual SP120 750W Corsair RM PSUMicrosoft Windows 7 64 bit

for easily taking screenshots, in any program, use "Snapper" by Michiel Overtoom.

http://www.michielovertoom.com/software/snapper/

takes jpeg's (by bressing the "print screen" key on the keyboard), and puts them in any folder you want.

easy peasy lemon sqeezy

Thanks I have downloaded snapper and its great

Corsair Obsidian 550D Asus Z97 Pro Gamer, SLI, CrossfireX Intel Core I7 4790K Quad Core with HT pro OC'd to 4.6GHz 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz 2 x 4GB EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 250GB Samsung EVO SSD and 2TB HDD3XS Corsair Hydro H100 cooler with dual SP120 750W Corsair RM PSUMicrosoft Windows 7 64 bit

stock repair answer:

The biggie with a Repair is any default file, including those default aircraft.cfgs with added liveries, that have been modified, tweaked, or otherwise changed, will be returned to default status.

You can make a copy of your existing FSX folder before the repair and paste those individual files back in afterwards.

IMPORTANT:

Acceleration Repair only fixes what the Acceleration expansion pack modifies/adds. It will not repair core FSX files.

If you have SP1, SP2, or Acceleration installed, they will have to be uninstalled before a repair attempt, and reinstalled, after the repair, or it won't work.

Once you have your FSX up and running properly again, back it up, all of it.

You may need it again and it's a lot easier than a Repair or Re-Install.

This was quoted long ago by fxsttcb and it's good advice. The Repair will fix any default FSX files that may be corrupted and will not touch addons.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

So is a repair different to an uninstall then an install?

You will need luck with both the uninstall and the repair. The repair seems like the quicker way, but you may shoot down your addons anyhow as FSX gets reverted to its state right after installing. That is why I recommend a complete reinstall.

But if the uninstall fails, you will have some work cut out for you. You will need to remove FSX manually.

All things considered, it may be a good strategy to

1. Uninstall your addons

2. Repair FSX

3. Check it - if it works correctly, the reinstall your SPs and Addons.

4. But if it doesn't or if you have a bad feeling about it, go ahead and uninstall FSX too and start fresh. You should not need to bother about the SPs, they should be removed with FSX automatically.

stock repair answer:

The biggie with a Repair is any default file, including those default aircraft.cfgs with added liveries, that have been modified, tweaked, or otherwise changed, will be returned to default status.

You can make a copy of your existing FSX folder before the repair and paste those individual files back in afterwards.

IMPORTANT:

Acceleration Repair only fixes what the Acceleration expansion pack modifies/adds. It will not repair core FSX files.

If you have SP1, SP2, or Acceleration installed, they will have to be uninstalled before a repair attempt, and reinstalled, after the repair, or it won't work.

Once you have your FSX up and running properly again, back it up, all of it.

You may need it again and it's a lot easier than a Repair or Re-Install.

This was quoted long ago by fxsttcb and it's good advice. The Repair will fix any default FSX files that may be corrupted and will not touch addons.

I haven't installed acceleration, only SP1 and SP2. Ive ordered the acceleration pack but it hasn't arrived yet. Nuitkati has advised to uninstall the 2 add-ons first. So without having the acceleration pack should I just repair by using the repair tool by inserting the original FSX disk?

sorry to ask more questions, I just need to get this right.

You will need luck with both the uninstall and the repair. The repair seems like the quicker way, but you may shoot down your addons anyhow as FSX gets reverted to its state right after installing. That is why I recommend a complete reinstall.

But if the uninstall fails, you will have some work cut out for you. You will need to remove FSX manually.

All things considered, it may be a good strategy to

1. Uninstall your addons

2. Repair FSX

3. Check it - if it works correctly, the reinstall your SPs and Addons.

4. But if it doesn't or if you have a bad feeling about it, go ahead and uninstall FSX too and start fresh. You should not need to bother about the SPs, they should be removed with FSX automatically.

So, this is what I'm thinking now.

1. Remove Traffic X and ACN

2. Insert original FSX disk and try repair.

3. Check FSX is working.

4. If it isn't then try Uninstall using windows uninstaller and delete FSX file afterwards.

Go to Control Panel/Add-Remove programs and look for Fight Simulator SP2 and uninstall it. If you have FSX Deluxe, I think SP1 is contained in it. Insert Disc#1 and choose the Repair option and hold on to your hat!

SP2.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Go to Control Panel/Add-Remove programs and look for Fight Simulator SP2 and uninstall it. If you have FSX Deluxe, I think SP1 is contained in it. Insert Disc#1 and choose the Repair option and hold on to your hat!
Ok. I will try that now.

I'll let you know what happens. Something tells me my hat will blow away but fingers crossed it wont.

...If you have FSX Deluxe, I think SP1 is contained in it....

Nope. SP1 must also be removed before the repair.

Repair it, check it, reinstall SP1 & SP2, recheck.

When it is up and running correctly BACK IT UP! All of it...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Update:

Its pretty much good news up to now. I uninstalled the 2 add-ons and the service packs 1 and 2 and went ahead and repaired FSX. At first I didn't uninstall SP1, but when starting FSX I was getting this message when opening FSX

-2015-mar-3-002.jpg

So then uninstalled SP1 and I'm not receiving the message when opening FSX. I'm now in the process of downloading SP1 and SP2 while posting this entry.

Ive run FSX and checked the scenery and it now looks like this.

2015-3-4_17-56-35-281.jpg

While I've been typing i've installed SP1 and checked FSX again. Its fine and I'm now downloading SP2

I'll keep everyone posted after add-ons but so far so good.

Its not complete but thank you to all that have helped me. I'd be totally stuck otherwise

SP2 installed. FSX still running fine. Will run for a few days before I start to install add ons.

Thanks all

Great news! :)

Now, FIRST FOLLOW DON's ADVICE.

make a copy of the entire Microsoft Flight Simulator X -folder.

Yes, all 17 or so GB !

Store that safely.

(under a different name, in the root of one of your drives)

(and also as a zip file)

(and also on an external HDD perhaps...)

That way if you ever accidentally delete a file you have a backup of the file !

Enjoy!

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm out at the moment Don but I certainly will. You have my word.

Thanks

Archived