Frame rate limiter

When I set a frame rate limit in Nvidia Control Panel it has no effect in the sim but when I set it in the Nvidia Profile Inspector it does show up in the sim. Why is that?

Because not all instruction are read by the sim. Seeing them and reading them are two very different things.

Ask Asobo why, coz I have no idea..

When I set a frame rate limit in Nvidia Control Panel it has no effect in the sim but when I set it in the Nvidia Profile Inspector it does show up in the sim. Why is that?

I presume when in the nvidia control panel.. you are first selecting Microsoft Flight Simulator from the drop down menu & then setting the FPS to 30 or the limit of your choice?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I presume when in the nvidia control panel.. you are first selecting Microsoft Flight Simulator from the drop down menu & then setting the FPS to 30 or the limit of your choice?

Regards

Steve

Yes. I have made other selections in there as well. Now I'm wondering if any of them have actually taken effect.

Out of interest.. what limit have you set it to and do you also have it limited within the sim itself (v-sync)

I don’t know if having both on would cause any issues, but most people recommend not having v-sync on.

I limit mine to 30fps using the nvidia control panel & it works ok. Might be worth updating your drivers too if you haven’t already. New drivers were released a few days ago

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Out of interest.. what limit have you set it to and do you also have it limited within the sim itself (v-sync)

I don’t know if having both on would cause any issues, but most people recommend not having v-sync on.

I limit mine to 30fps using the nvidia control panel & it works ok. Might be worth updating your drivers too if you haven’t already. New drivers were released a few days ago

Regards

Steve

I set it for 30 fps in the Nvidia Control Panel and Vsync in the sim is off. I don't have the absolute latest drivers installed. Mine are the 456.55 drivers.

Not sure why it’s not working then.

The latest drivers are 457.30 - might be worth a try

Not exactly connected.. but since I installed the new drivers I’ve found that my vram usage has gone down & GPU usage has also dropped slightly.

If you do decide to install them, I’d tick the “clean installation” box (or whatever it’s called) so that it removes the old ones first

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Not sure why it’s not working then.

The latest drivers are 457.30 - might be worth a try

Not exactly connected.. but since I installed the new drivers I’ve found that my vram usage has gone down & GPU usage has also dropped slightly.

If you do decide to install them, I’d tick the “clean installation” box (or whatever it’s called) so that it removes the old ones first

Regards

Steve

Just did some more experimenting to confirm and yes the frame rate limiter works in the larger Nvidia Profile Inspector but not in the Nvidia Control Panel. I might as well try the new drivers and see how that goes. Question - will that reset all my Nvidia settings (not the in-game settings) for FSX and MSFS back to default and should I note what they all were before I install the new drivers?

If you do the clean installation then yes, it’ll reset the settings (not any in game settings though)

You could always install without clicking the “clean install” box, but personally I’d prefer to clear the settings. It’s up to you.

Regards

Steve

If you do the clean installation then yes, it’ll reset the settings (not any in game settings though)

You could always install without clicking the “clean install” box, but personally I’d prefer to clear the settings. It’s up to you.

Regards

Steve

Ok thanks. I'll do the clean install and report back.

I’m not familiar with the Profile Inspector (I’d never heard of it in fact until I read your posts)

Is it a separate download? Could that be interfering with it?

Regards

Steve

I’m not familiar with the Profile Inspector (I’d never heard of it in fact until I read your posts)

Is it a separate download? Could that be interfering with it?

Regards

Steve

Yes, it's a separate download and similar to the Nvidia Control Panel but offers a lot more options. I'll have to do some more experimenting to see if the two are interfering with one another.

The nVidia Inspector will override the nVidia Control Panel at all times. The nVidia Inspector is not required for MSFS, neither is any nVidia Control Panel setting. You can set the FPS limit in the MSFS settings and that works perfectly - if it didn't, THEN you'd need an external program such as nVidia Control Panel etc. Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The FPS limit is not the same if done with Nvidia Control panel or done in MSFS.

In MSFS, Vsync must be activated to limit FPS at 60 or 30 (no other option), but is widely accepted that is better Vsync OFF. In the Nvidia panel you have a range to select different FPS.

As general recommendation, setting a FPS limit in Nvidia panel to 30, reduces the GPU load with respect to higher values or unlimited.

Of course every system has different reactions.

In my system:

Vsync OFF - Nvidia unlimited= 45 FPS

Vsync OFF - Nvidia limit 30 = 30 FPS

Vsync ON & FPS 30 - Nvidia unlimited= 20 FPS

Vsync ON & FPS 60 - Nvidia unlimited= 39 FPS

In MSFS, Vsync must be activated to limit FPS at 60 or 30 (no other option), but is widely accepted that is better Vsync OFF.

That's not true, I've set my FPS limit in MSFS to 20 and it works perfectly. You MUST have Vsync on for the FPS slider to be active, but having set your FPS, you can then switch Vsync off again and your chosen FPS limit is still active.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I found a lot of stuttering taking place when using the in game setting and it only gives two to choose from. Nvidia control panel works perfectly for me, I've set it at 40.
System: I7 8700k 3.7Ghz, RTX3070 inno3d iChill X4, 32Gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2 x 1Tb ssd, 1 x M.2 ssd, 1 x 250Gb ssd, 32" Gigabyte monitor, Thrustmaster T.16000m controller

I found a lot of stuttering taking place when using the in game setting and it only gives two to choose from.

Are you clicking on the arrows at each end of the slider? You can click on the slider itself and drag it to wherever you want, from 0 to Unlimited.

That's not true, I've set my FPS limit in MSFS to 20 and it works perfectly. You MUST have Vsync on for the FPS slider to be active, but having set your FPS, you can then switch Vsync off again and your chosen FPS limit is still active.

Yes. That worked out well. Thanks.

Yes. That worked out well. Thanks.

No - scratch that - it doesn't work. First of all there is no slider there to slide anything from 0-Infinity. The choices are either 20, 30 or 60 fps. Secondly when I turn on the Vsync and set the selection to 30 fps and hit the save button the frame rate counter will show 30 fps but as soon as I turn off the Vsync the frame rates go right back up. Not sure how you are accomplishing this.

It's a while since I set this on my sim, so I'm very well mistaken about the slider, but the way I did it was to switch Vsync on, select 20fps, switch Vsync off, then save the setting.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Are you clicking on the arrows at each end of the slider? You can click on the slider itself and drag it to wherever you want, from 0 to Unlimited.

Thanks, I never noticed that! The stuttering was still an issue though and NVidia is doing the job nicely but I'll try again with the slider next time I'm in :)

System: I7 8700k 3.7Ghz, RTX3070 inno3d iChill X4, 32Gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2 x 1Tb ssd, 1 x M.2 ssd, 1 x 250Gb ssd, 32" Gigabyte monitor, Thrustmaster T.16000m controller

I've just checked it again myself, there's no slider and you can only cycle between 20, 30 and 60fps using the arrows. For me, this was a "set and forget" thing which I did the day after buying the sim - my apologies for the duff info!

I've just checked it again myself, there's no slider and you can only cycle between 20, 30 and 60fps using the arrows. For me, this was a "set and forget" thing which I did the day after buying the sim - my apologies for the duff info!

Not sure how you are able to do that. When I set it at 30 fps with Vsync on the frame rate stays at 30 but as soon as I turn off Vsync the frame rate goes right back up again.

Not sure how you are able to do that. When I set it at 30 fps with Vsync on the frame rate stays at 30 but as soon as I turn off Vsync the frame rate goes right back up again.

You MUST have Vsync on for the FPS slider to be active. Having set your FPS, you can then switch Vsync off again and save by pressing F11. Your chosen FPS limit is now active, plus or minus up to 5fps in my case, that's just the way the sim works it seems.