Releasing the brakes!!!???

OK, I've had this toy for awhile but never got around to looking at it other than a few in air flights the day I installed it. So I "fired it up" after it downloaded 6GB of updates!! Two weeks and 6GB of updates!!?? Is it really that buggy!!!??? Do I always have to read how exciting Japan is each time I fire it up as well?

Simple flight Seatac to Boeing, what 7 miles. Seemed like a good way to start. Cleared for takeoff and I CAN'T RELEASE THE BRAKES!!!I know Microsoft didn't bother with yoke or other LONG STANDARDIZED control conventions they and everyone else has used for decades!!?? But I figured I'd work around it. I tried Ctrl B for brake and a bunch of other combinations. Finally a "hint" came up on the screen.

To release brakes push Cntrl Brk/Num Del I have a fairly nice Microsoft keyboard complete with Number pad. I tried Cntrl with NumLock, Cntrl/numLock/Del, and several other combos, I still can't release the brakes!!!!

All my other 2020 flights started in the air, so I didn't realize releasing the "parking brakes" would be such an issue!

OTHER THAN SPENDING $30 OR MORE TO BUY A HOW TO BOOK, IS THERE A LISTING OR DEFINITION OF CONTROLS SUCH AS HOW TO RELEASE THE PARKING BRAKES OUT THERE??

Advice?

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Search for "key" in the library here under MSFS Misc. and you should find this:

MSFS - MSFS Misc.

MSFS 2020 Key/Joystick Bindings

[ Download | View ]

Name: key_bindings_and_hotas_blanks.zip

Size: 1,569,920 Date: 08-25-2020 Downloads: 1,819

MSFS 2020 Key/Joystick Bindings. Just a simple version of MSFS 2020 keybindings which prints out onto 5x A4 pages, in Microsoft word version (docx) and PDF. This way, you can note any changes from default you make in the word version You can then export it to a PDF. Also includes Thrustmaster blanks. This is a two page PDF with the buttons and controls on the Thrustmaster T.16000M and TWCS throttle (or HOTAS if you bought both together) so you can write in what each button does ... it is so easy to forget when under pressure for the first few days of flying! By Alex D.

The keyboard Parking Brake toggle is Ctrl+Number Pad Del.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

OK, I've had this toy for awhile but never got around to looking at it other than a few in air flights the day I installed it. So I "fired it up" after it downloaded 6GB of updates!! Two weeks and 6GB of updates!!?? Is it really that buggy!!!??? Do I always have to read how exciting Japan is each time I fire it up as well?

Simple flight Seatac to Boeing, what 7 miles. Seemed like a good way to start. Cleared for takeoff and I CAN'T RELEASE THE BRAKES!!!I know Microsoft didn't bother with yoke or other LONG STANDARDIZED control conventions they and everyone else has used for decades!!?? But I figured I'd work around it. I tried Ctrl B for brake and a bunch of other combinations. Finally a "hint" came up on the screen.

To release brakes push Cntrl Brk/Num Del I have a fairly nice Microsoft keyboard complete with Number pad. I tried Cntrl with NumLock, Cntrl/numLock/Del, and several other combos, I still can't release the brakes!!!!

All my other 2020 flights started in the air, so I didn't realize releasing the "parking brakes" would be such an issue!

OTHER THAN SPENDING $30 OR MORE TO BUY A HOW TO BOOK, IS THERE A LISTING OR DEFINITION OF CONTROLS SUCH AS HOW TO RELEASE THE PARKING BRAKES OUT THERE??

Advice?

Ensure that active pause isn't on. It has been the cause of a number of aneurisms on this site.

During active pause, aircraft controls continue to function, traffic around you will continue, time will advance, you can still interact with ATC, the weather will still change; hell, you'll even continue to use fuel! During all of this, there will be no indication (such as an on-screen message) that you're in active pause. As far as I could tell, the ONLY thing that active pause does, is lock the position of your aircraft in place. Everything else continues.

I don't recall the shortcut, so look it up. But I think there's a very good chance this is your problem.

Edited by KiloWatt

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

A good call, KiloWatt - the key command is Scroll Lock and I agree 100%, there SHOULD be an on-screen message if they can make one that doesn't appear in screenshots...

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I had this problem when getting thru the learning stage of the new sim. Turns out the CTRL keys are not created equal for the controls. The right CTRL+Num Delete didn't not release the brakes but the LEFT CTRL+Num Delete did release the brakes. I found that to be true for several other controls that contained the SHIFT or ALT keys.

When setting up hot keys for other controls it note the right and left for the key. It does have the benefit of providing a large amount of programmable keys.

Go figure!

D

I feel for the OP.

I got so fed up trying to release the parking brake and looking for “numdel” that it was faster to reassign the darn thing to another key LOL

Mike

Dell XPS 8930 Core I9-9900 3.10 GHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM @2666 Mhz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060, 1 + 2 TB SSD’s and 1 + 2 TB spinner sata’s, Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X, FS9, FSX, MSFS

My friend. Why are you always shouting at everyone in bold, or caps, or 15 bazillion exclamations and question marks? Do you think we are blind or can't read? :D

I'm sorry you are frustrated, but most problems can be figured out, ironed out, talked out, thrown out, burned out, freaked out, or even knocked out. Take a deep breath, stay passionate, and we'll all get through these things.

What are you flying? Is there a visual switch you can use in the cockpit to release the brake? In FS9 it was mapped to the trigger of my joystick, so I'd wonder if it can be re-assigned in some similar fashion? I'm only conjecturing as I won't have this to test for a couple months, so please forgive my ignorance.

Hope you are able to figure this out sir. :D

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

My friend. Why are you always shouting at everyone in bold, or caps, or 15 bazillion exclamations and question marks? Do you think we are blind or can't read? :D

I'm sorry you are frustrated, but most problems can be figured out, ironed out, talked out, thrown out, burned out, freaked out, or even knocked out. Take a deep breath, stay passionate, and we'll all get through these things.

What are you flying? Is there a visual switch you can use in the cockpit to release the brake? In FS9 it was mapped to the trigger of my joystick, so I'd wonder if it can be re-assigned in some similar fashion? I'm only conjecturing as I won't have this to test for a couple months, so please forgive my ignorance.

Amen to this. Earlier I suggested a sedative might help.

"My friend." I am a real world combat pilot with over 1,000 RW PIC hours with a Bronze Star and 26 Air-medals and two (2) Purple Hearts who can no longer fly RW because of my broken neck. severe gut shots, and yes, BTW: I can't sire a child much less children because of these injuries either!!

My VA doctors many years ago suggested that I might find joy while flying over areas like Vietnam where I wasn't shot at, didn't get hit, nor watch my copilot die with blood on the windshield! And yes as I could never fly RW again, I could enjoy the rest of the world which I could never again see RW as a pilot!!

For decades I have taken their advice and "flown" all over the world with various "sims" which all used the same standards and not been shot at once! And yes, for a combat flight veteran, not getting shot at is a huge thing! Now after decades of using already standard "sim" conventions including the use of several views at a time, Microsoft, who has produced many great products, has come out with a product with lots of "pretty pictures" which totally ignores all the conventions they themselves have set for decades!!

Why am I shouting? Because I think Microsoft has totally left their decades long commitment to RW pilot trainees and RW like simming and gone off the trail to those who "sim" with a hand held device!

Microsoft obviously has no interest in continuing their decades of quality flight sim products! They're just looking in producing "games" for the toy boy gamers instead!

I'm now trying to tell people who are interested in the closest to RW simming that Microsoft has thrown us under the bus while looking for people with toy online devices!! keep your FS9, FSX, or better yet P3D! Don't waste your money on this on-line game!!

At age 75, I pretty much understand I'm not their target market, though I have a ton more daily income to spend than their target market does! I just can't understand why Microsoft has totally gone away from the decades old conventions for control inputs they helped establish!! IS USING THE STANDARD YOKE. RUDDER PEDAL, THROTTLE PANEL CONTROL STANDARDS OF 20-30 YEARS TOO MUCH TO ASK?

Last point: While RW flying I was always able to look to my left and my right in addition to straight ahead while flying. Until 2020 was pushed out unfinished, using side screens I could also do that with Microsoft and P3D products. Other than trying to make pretty pictures for XBOX or whatever hand-held toy they are working with, why did they do away with multiple scenes on multiple screens?? We've had those at least since FS9 when I first joined in simming!!

Sorry! FS2020 unless it hugely steps up it's game and is not anything like a SIM! The Aircraft Owners And Pilots Association, to which I still belong, lists several products as useful training sims including FSX, P3D, etc. I can't imagine they'd add 2020 as it now exists to that list!!

Unless Microsoft brings things back to their already understood and established standards, I can't see 2020 as anything but an online toy game!

IMHO:IF YOU'RE A TRUE SIMMER, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE!! I'M SO FAR SORRY I DID! FSX and P3D IS FAR CLOSER TO REAL WORLD! I HAVE FS9, FSX, P3D, AND NOW 2020, THEY ARE ALL IMO GREAT PRODUCTS EXCEPT 2020!!! THE SCENERY ISN'T AS CUTE IN THE OTHERS BUT THE FLYING EXPERIENCE IS MUCH MORE ACCURATE AS ANYTHING I'VE SEEN IN 2020!

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

The first thing I did after loading MSFS to my computer was go to Options>Controls and remap all commands to my yoke, rudder pedals and keyboard. All of the commands used most from the keyboard were assigned to keys without the need to hold down Ctrl, Shift, etc. Since I already did this for FSX, I used the same key assignments where possible. For FSX, I had purchased a cheap miniature USB keyboard and applied labels to the keys rather than using a list to remember them. The parking brake toggle is the space bar.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

"My friend." I am a real world combat pilot with over 1,000 RW PIC hours with a Bronze Star and 26 Air-medals and two (2) Purple Hearts who can no longer fly RW because of my broken neck. severe gut shots, and yes, BTW: I can't sire a child much less children because of these injuries either!!

My VA doctors many years ago suggested that I might find joy while flying over areas like Vietnam where I wasn't shot at, didn't get hit, nor watch my copilot die with blood on the windshield! And yes as I could never fly RW again, I could enjoy the rest of the world which I could never again see RW as a pilot!!

For decades I have taken their advice and "flown" all over the world with various "sims" which all used the same standards and not been shot at once! And yes, for a combat flight veteran, not getting shot at is a huge thing! Now after decades of using already standard "sim" conventions including the use of several views at a time, Microsoft, who has produced many great products, has come out with a product with lots of "pretty pictures" which totally ignores all the conventions they themselves have set for decades!!

Why am I shouting? Because I think Microsoft has totally left their decades long commitment to RW pilot trainees and RW like simming and gone off the trail to those who "sim" with a hand held device!

Microsoft obviously has no interest in continuing their decades of quality flight sim products! They're just looking in producing "games" for the toy boy gamers instead!

I'm now trying to tell people who are interested in the closest to RW simming that Microsoft has thrown us under the bus while looking for people with toy online devices!! keep your FS9, FSX, or better yet P3D! Don't waste your money on this on-line game!!

At age 75, I pretty much understand I'm not their target market, though I have a ton more daily income to spend than their target market does! I just can't understand why Microsoft has totally gone away from the decades old conventions for control inputs they helped establish!! IS USING THE STANDARD YOKE. RUDDER PEDAL, THROTTLE PANEL CONTROL STANDARDS OF 20-30 YEARS TOO MUCH TO ASK?

Last point: While RW flying I was always able to look to my left and my right in addition to straight ahead while flying. Until 2020 was pushed out unfinished, using side screens I could also do that with Microsoft and P3D products. Other than trying to make pretty pictures for XBOX or whatever hand-held toy they are working with, why did they do away with multiple scenes on multiple screens?? We've had those at least since FS9 when I first joined in simming!!

Sorry! FS2020 unless it hugely steps up it's game and is not anything like a SIM! The Aircraft Owners And Pilots Association, to which I still belong, lists several products as useful training sims including FSX, P3D, etc.

Unless Microsoft brings things back to their already understood and established standards, I can't see 2020 as anything but an online toy game!

IMHO:IF YOU'RE A TRUE SIMMER, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE!! I'M SO FAR SORRY I DID! P3D IS FAR CLOSER TO REAL WORLD! I HAVE FS9, FSX, AND NOW 2020, BUY P3D FORGET 2020!!! THE SCENERY ISN'T AS CUTE BUT THE FLYING IS MUCH MORE ACCURATE!

So then synopsis is, if it brings you pain, walk away from it, and use the sim that makes you happy! FS2020 clearly doesn't make you happy, but if P3D does, use that instead! None of us created MSFS, nor can we control it.

By "my friend", I was saying that I have enjoyed the majority of your posts and contributions, and that I sympathize with frustration. I don't know your personal life and meant no disrespect! If you were a real life pilot, that is a level of awesome I'll never obtain, and I admire your courage through your experiences.

Be blessed you have a computer that will install and play this sim, or P3d, or FSX. I'm running FS9 on an 8 year old laptop, and while it has performed admirably, the last few weeks might be signaling the end, as even now the stutters are making it very hard to sim in detailed areas...in FS9.

Be happy my friend, play whatever seem helps with that goal, but don't write us all off! :D

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Seconded. I sympathise with the frustration that people are feeling, I really do; but remaining calm and collected allows one to better explain your problem - because no one is rational and emotional at the same time - and will make more people want to help - because it's not fun engaging with a shouty person.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

There is some validity in the OPs frustration, I’ve had similar thoughts, particularly when the latest update brought motion blurring as oppose to the many improvements in realism needed. That said, if they can develop the sim with both types of customers in mind, then they will sell more and the investment can hopefully be a good thing for further development that benefits us all.

I simply remapped the parking brake to the trigger to make me feel at home. The only real world flying I’ve done is low and slow, so it’s been excellent to reproduce that in in the quality that is now possible

Neil

System: I7 8700k 3.7Ghz, RTX3070 inno3d iChill X4, 32Gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2 x 1Tb ssd, 1 x M.2 ssd, 1 x 250Gb ssd, 32" Gigabyte monitor, Thrustmaster T.16000m controller