flight sim 2020

After many many weeks of trying the MSFS2020 its become a headache every time i try it. It should have been put on the market this way, we all had problems with other flight sims , but nothing to compare to this msfs2020 , This is a total insult to many thousands OF FLIGHT SIMMERS , the cost and frustration that accompany the many problems . This isnt a flight sim tht we all expected in my opinion it will never be right ! just look at the crazy updates tht most don"t even work and in fact adds more problems after you update. im my opinion it was created by a bunch of amateurs they main goal was to produce an arcade game. And thats what we got. Ive been doing flight sim since day one i have them all. THIS IS A JOKE AND AN INSULT. Alan.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there are a lot of people in your camp and there will also be lots of people tell you its on your end but something is wrong for sure.

What worries me is exactly what you mentioned about the sim ever being right. They have made 3 patch attempts and a hot fix and they dont have much to show for it except down graded graphics quality which they call performance upgrades.

If ASOBO thinks turning down LOD and AA are performance upgrades we dont have much to look forward to.

The thing is, most of the problems are caused by users that do something wrong, not the program itself. Now I do agree, it was a huge mistake to not include a manual with a product that is such a vast departure from FS2000-FSX, but for many of us there have not been the really big problems. Yes, there are a few elevation errors, and two missing airports i need, but that falls under annoyance rather than a problem. The ability to see the world in the depth and detail available is astonishing, and dwarfs any annoyance!
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Whilst some issues may be caused by the user, I think they can be forgiven. It’s only because I’ve studied forums like this that I’ve become familiar with things to watch for such as renaming the community folder before an update. Even doing updates is a convoluted process. Firstly, you do an update via the store, then you do a further update in the game, then you have to go into the content manager to individually update any items. I only found that out because I was missing the b787 and asked here for guidance. How many people are trying to use the game but not frequenting forums?

I love the potential of the game but have probably spent about 25% of my time at the sim so far trying to fix issues that resulted from updates including a corrupted windows issue that took ages to identify as it was only manifesting in this game when the frame rates dropped into single figures.

System: I7 8700k 3.7Ghz, RTX3070 inno3d iChill X4, 32Gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2 x 1Tb ssd, 1 x M.2 ssd, 1 x 250Gb ssd, 32" Gigabyte monitor, Thrustmaster T.16000m controller

Hi Alan, FSX had us scratch our heads when it first came out and everybody was saying how good FS2004 was! the same thing is happening again. We just need to let the product mature a little bit. Sure the Autopilot is a bit ropey, and some of the buttons do not work, doors do not open, controls can be way too sensitive at times, Ai tries to kill me occasionally, the C172 with full flaps suppose to stall at 40 kias but it can stall at 50kias! but even with all it's current faults it is still a very enjoyable sim. Please stay with fs2020 it will get better over time like good scotch whisky!

Greetings to plainsman, natman

regards

After seeing all post in the official forums I have listed issues caused by users:

Bad internet connection

Messed installations outside the default folder.

Non official or "bad" Windows 10

Hardware.

No manual, OK but users are not reading the menus that give enough information to configure the sim.

People who fill the Community folder with liveries, scenery, FSX modded aircraft, many of them very heavy and unnecessary.

In addition to this, users who think that for $ 60 they are entitled to have by default 3 PMDG planes and a lot of A2A planes.

The elephant in the room no ones is talking about is the Xbox factor. I dont see the xbox crowd being "patient" or "understanding". There idea of giving it time to mature will probably be measured in weeks and if you think criticism of this sim is harsh in flight sim forums the xbox crowd will show even less mercy.

Once they are lost MS will have to make a decision on whether or not its worth keeping the servers running that this sim depends on. They keep touting 10 years of support but the reality is it may be the shortest lived support for a MSFS ever. ASOBO is up against a wall here and judging from there first few patches I dont think they are up to the task.

Edited by natman1965

After seeing all post in the official forums I have listed issues caused by users:

Bad internet connection

Messed installations outside the default folder.

Non official or "bad" Windows 10

Hardware.

No manual, OK but users are not reading the menus that give enough information to configure the sim.

People who fill the Community folder with liveries, scenery, FSX modded aircraft, many of them very heavy and unnecessary.

In addition to this, users who think that for $ 60 they are entitled to have by default 3 PMDG planes and a lot of A2A planes.

I don't have any of the user errors mentioned above, and I'm still having lots of problems. Like 7 ctd after last update. I have my doubts this program will ever run good. Also, some of the things mentioned above shouldn't matter at all, like bad internet, installing to a different directory, having undocumented windows, as the liberals call it, and having addons. Can't we have addons? What's the store for?

Edited by shb7

The elephant in the room no ones is talking about is the Xbox factor. I dont see the xbox crowd being "patient" or "understanding". There idea of giving it time to mature will probably be measured in weeks and if you think criticism of this sim is harsh in flight sim forums the xbox crowd will show even less mercy.

Once they are lost MS will have to make a decision on whether or not its worth keeping the servers running that this sim depends on. They keep touting 10 years of support but the reality is it may be the shortest lived support for a MSFS ever. ASOBO is up against a wall here and judging from there first few patches I dont think they are up to the task.

I have given it weeks: The sim has gone backwards and is less impressive as time has gone on.

I am like many - don't give a stuff about X-Box.

It needs to work NOW in Windows 10.

I`ve got P3D 5.1, and see no reason to even consider a new alternative... It`ll be in the bargain box by Christmas, I reckon!

I think Microsoft put ASOBO under too much pressure with unrealistic deadlines, they should have never decided on a release date until they had a working product to release! My sympathy goes to ASOBO Team... I say MS throw more resources at them to get the job finished! Some games & software takes years to develop before hitting the market.... Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

I don't have any of the user errors mentioned above, and I'm still having lots of problems. Like 7 ctd after last update. I have my doubts this program will ever run good. Also, some of the things mentioned above shouldn't matter at all, like bad internet, installing to a different directory, having undocumented windows, as the liberals call it, and having addons. Can't we have addons? What's the store for?

I have writen a summary of problems. If you pay attention you will see for instance:

Bad internet means corupted download files and more.

Install out of default shouldn't be a problem but I have written MESSED.

You have not understood the two last paragraphs.

7 CTD's and any of this problems? Maybe I have forgotten another user originated problem.

Best regards,

I agree with you, this isnt the internet at all ! its the program itself thts the problem, and the way it started out will never be good.

A bad internet connection can affect packets being downloaded, that's not the software developers fault, that's between you and your internet provider......

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

A bad internet connection can affect packets being downloaded, that's not the software developers fault, that's between you and your internet provider......

Well said!, thanks!. Those people don't pay attention reading. I have written "corrupted downloaded files" but they don't realize that they can be the problem because in the simulator also they don't pay attention.

Edited by howlak

The software developer could make the download available in manageable sized chunks and that way if you get a bad packet that corrupts your download you could re-download maybe a 10-20Gb chunk instead of dumping the whole thing and starting over. It's a little ridiculous to assume everyone on the planet has a perfect unlimited 100mbps fiber connection for $50/month.

If this thread was about lousy internet providers you people would find some reason to defend the ISPs and put the blame on the user complaining about their ISP! On the other hand if it were you having the problems you'd probably be the ones crying the loudest!

There are quite a few people that have not had the problems. I have found two missing airports, and one elevation error at an airport, but those are really just annoyances, not problems. The real issue is the number of users that refuse to learn the AP and then insist it is broken. Things like that distract from fixing actual issues.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

There are quite a few people that have not had the problems. I have found two missing airports, and one elevation error at an airport, but those are really just annoyances, not problems. The real issue is the number of users that refuse to learn the AP and then insist it is broken. Things like that distract from fixing actual issues.

Do you mean refuse to learn the autopilot or the application?

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

The software developer could make the download available in manageable sized chunks and that way if you get a bad packet that corrupts your download you could re-download maybe a 10-20Gb chunk instead of dumping the whole thing and starting over. It's a little ridiculous to assume everyone on the planet has a perfect unlimited 100mbps fiber connection for $50/month.

If this thread was about lousy internet providers you people would find some reason to defend the ISPs and put the blame on the user complaining about their ISP! On the other hand if it were you having the problems you'd probably be the ones crying the loudest!

No two rigs are the same any more than people being the same, we all have different levels of experience and knowledge... I'm not sitting here sweet with the Sim I have my fair share of ctds, and every sim from Microsoft has had it's teething problems.... although some of these are major this time around and I understand the frustration other member have..... I'd say this forum is far more helpful than bitchy....

My 4 attempts to download took 14 hours with ethernet cable to modem connection. Download speed for me average 20Mb/s over a phone line (that's phone line). There is no fiber optics or cable service here. The best wifi speed money can buy for phone line service here is 31Mb/s downlink and 3Mb/s uplink. I don't doubt that bit errors are causing problems with my Digital Edition download. I've monitored the Install Packages path files at C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore.

Personally, I can't tell if all files are downloaded, complete or somehow corrupted. I have 68 files @95Gb and only 2 out of 30 planes are listed.

I would be thankful if someone could share their file size and content for comparison.

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

If you got it in in 14 hours you're doing better than me, it's taken over 48 hours both times I've downloaded it (my Windows ate itself after a power failure and I had to re-load Windows).

My download size was 111gb in the initial download, right now I check the Flight Sim folder and it's at 93.7GB and I have most on the planes downloaded. On the second install it only came up with two planes so I had to go to Profile --> Content Manager and download whatever else was available without cost, I still haven't retrieved everything.

It took me 10 days in all to get it downloaded and working the first time around, the Microsoft store insisted it was already installed until I got help from MS (Xbox) support, that took a week to get resolved.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

My 4 attempts to download took 14 hours with ethernet cable to modem connection. Download speed for me average 20Mb/s over a phone line (that's phone line). There is no fiber optics or cable service here. The best wifi speed money can buy for phone line service here is 31Mb/s downlink and 3Mb/s uplink.

Those in rural or lightly populated areas with limited internet options should keep an eye on Starlink's new satellite service. Beta users are getting speeds of over 100Mbps down and 25 Mbps up, with latency around 20ms, or so. At the moment it costs $500 for the hardware and then $100/month. Based on comments from one beta user, you could conceivably be running MSFS in the middle of the forest with full streaming scenery.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/11/spacex-starlink-beta-tester-takes-user-terminal-into-forest-gets-120mbps/

I have writen a summary of problems. If you pay attention you will see for instance:

Bad internet means corupted download files and more.

Install out of default shouldn't be a problem but I have written MESSED.

You have not understood the two last paragraphs.

7 CTD's and any of this problems? Maybe I have forgotten another user originated problem.

Best regards,

By messed installation, do you mean the user did something to mess up the installation? How do they do that?

I've never heard of internet files coming in corrupted. If that happed, it would be a big problem for everyone. I download tons of stuff, and it doesn't get corrupted. I guess it could happen sometimes, but I don't think it's a major problem with mfs, because so many people are having the same problems. I know sometimes there are dropped packets in streams, but I think program installations can handle that.

By messed installation, do you mean the user did something to mess up the installation? How do they do that?

I've never heard of internet files coming in corrupted. If that happed, it would be a big problem for everyone. I download tons of stuff, and it doesn't get corrupted. I guess it could happen sometimes, but I don't think it's a major problem with mfs, because so many people are having the same problems. I know sometimes there are dropped packets in streams, but I think program installations can handle that.

Search in MSFS forum.

The installation debacle could have been easily avoided also by offering the initial installation on physical media. A 128 gig thumb drive is only 15 bucks

FS Standard Download 60 bucks

FS Standard (thumb drive) 75

"The answers to most problems are simple. It is only when we ignore those simple answers that our problems become complex". I forget who said that but it should be on the wall somewhere at the ASOBO offices.

Edited by natman1965