No joy with helipads.

bertfulker

I have just purchased HeliTraffic and it works just fine ...it does exactly what is claimed...helicopters act just like helicopters... they hover and take off and land on helipads , you can create flight plans etc.....BUT you have no ATC...thats ok to a point, however my problem is not with HeliTraffic, its with the helipads in FSX ...I just cannot get ANY of my AI helicopters to land on them, they will land anywhere but on a pad...at fuel stops,ga spots, mil_com and so on BUT never on a pad. I looked in the aircraft cfg file of my AI 'copters and none of them list a helipad as ATC parking,some have GA some have Mil_Com. OK what am I doing wrong. I have scoured the net for an answer without any luck.Can anyone give me a clue as to where I should start...PLEASE.

This is a stab in the dark, are you co-locating a parking spot with your helipads?

In FSX helipads are visual items only. For them to work they need either a parking spot or a start.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I have given them a start , but as regards to co - locating them as you suggest I must admit I am not sure what you mean. I can tell you what I have done so far......taken a 2 stock airports without a pad and in ADE added a helipad with a start to each....created a flight plan to include these airports then set it all in motion....at the start time the copter was ready ....parked at the nearby fuel station which is right next to the pad....I tried several times and each time it parked in the same place. One other interesting point ...I have seen helicopters TAXI to the runway on the ground ....this one hovers about 20 ft above the ground as I follows the taxiway. Anyway it takes off and arrives at the destination and parks in a GA spot. Well that's about it.

I think, although seldom, that Mr. Bean meant try hiding a GA spot under a helipad, and see if the choppers park on it. Or, perhaps, put a helipad over a GA spot already present. If they are just eye-candy, you can use them to "conceal" a GA spot, perhaps, thus making it appear as though the heli is parking on a pad...?

At least I think that's what he meant. Trick the AI into putting the choppers on a helipad, by making a GA spot look like a helipad. That way, when they park on a GA spot, they look like they are parked on a helipad...

Maybe? Anyway...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I did not use the flight plan with HT09 , I only mentioned that add on as I was very impressed with how it handles helicopters.....I know that FSX and HT09 do not interact that is why you lose ATC.......its a choice one has.....either excellent helicopter movement and no ATC ....or the realism of ATC but really lousy helicopter movement. I chose the latter....but for some reason FSX does not seem to make the use of helipads that easy. This is what my post is about.

...Mr. Bean meant try hiding a GA spot under a helipad..

That is exactly what I meant.

Starts are not really used by AI.

Without a parking spot there, AI will never go there unless by accident.

co-locate (third-person singular simple present co-locates, present participle co-locating, simple past and past participle co-located)

1. To locate or be located at the same site, for two things or groups, military units, etc.

peace,

the Bean

PS. Mr. Bean was my dad, just call me Bean ;)

Never argue with idiots.

I'm a little disappointed that FSX doesn't handle helicopters more realisticly.

No version of FS has handled AI helicopters realistically.

Probably why Microsoft never included AI helicopters in FS.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Speaking of AI helicopters:

A couple of days ago I was checking out some freeware Hawaiian scenery when I discovered a helicopter waiting behind me, pretending it could taxi like a plane. I got out of the way to let it pass and noticed the skids partially buried in the tarmac (I wonder if they really use the combination of tar and macadam anymore?).

2015-2-10_0-42-24-96.jpg

2015-2-10_0-42-57-224.jpg

I think I may just edit the contact points. I think I'd rather have the copter floating slightly when parked rather than chewing up the pavement as it taxis by.

Jim F.

Speaking of AI helicopters:

A couple of days ago I was checking out some freeware Hawaiian scenery when I discovered a helicopter waiting behind me, pretending it could taxi like a plane. I got out of the way to let it pass and noticed the skids partially buried in the tarmac (I wonder if they really use the combination of tar and macadam anymore?).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]176835[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]176836[/ATTACH]

I think I may just edit the contact points. I think I'd rather have the copter floating slightly when parked rather than chewing up the pavement as it taxis by.

Jim F.

That's one thing I hate about default ATC-----If I file a flightplan with a helo, I need to "taxi into position and hold". Huh???? I just want to take off straight up into the air, you know, like real life?? Lol

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Helitraffic does what it says, firstly for each airport all you need is a couple of heli landing pads, if not already there then create them with ADE each landing pad has to have a start location so you select from ADE new start location and select helipad each one has to be with a different number so helipad 1 and 2 so on.

When you the reload helitraffic providing the airport is active then helicopters will land and take off as they shoul without taxing, no need for a flight plan.

You do not create a ga parking spot, no need, some airports in my experience have helipads on a live taxiway, so I delete them and move them to a more preferable sight within the afcad

Fsx helicopters wont work as ai. To get around this you can create ai helicopters with a tweaked .air file. Internally they are basically aircraft, externally they look like copters.

That is why you see them taxiing to the runway, etc.

The addon 'Helitraffic' has found some workaround for this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

some airports in my experience have helipads on a live taxiway,

I have not tried Helitraffic but this thread is making me think I should.

Just as a point of reference, many airports actually do have helipads on live taxiways, usually because the tower can only clear an aircraft to land in a place it can see; the helicopter then has to air taxi to its parking spot, generally following the same taxi lines as airplanes. ATC is responsible for maintaining separation in its airspace and this is often the only way they can do it. I flew rw helicopters for over 20 years in the New York City area and this is the way the major airports handle the problem. Uncontrolled airports are, of course, a different issue, or if the helicopter landing area is within view of the tower controller. KJAC (Jackson Hole, WY) is an example of having both – a taxiway helipad at the south end for passenger pick-up/drop-off scenarios, and the helicopter parking area at the north end – and the tower can and will clear the helicopter to land at either upon pilot request. At very busy airports, the tower controller may simply not have the time to watch a helicopter land somewhere away from the normal traffic flow even if that spot can be seen so they will clear you to the designated pad on a taxiway so that ground control will take over the responsibility. Helicopters are wonderfully flexible but ATC also has its responsibilities to consider; there is a mutual understanding and respect that develops so the system flows well and safely.

If anybody's appetite has been whetted to manually fly FSX choppers to/from helipads, here are some handy lists-

HELIPADS AT AIRPORTS

USA-http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2758894/FSX_Helipads_part_1_USA.html

Rest of world- http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2758896/FSX_Helipads_part_2_The_Rest_o.html

Some pads are just a simple 'H' like these three at 7V6 (Camp Guernsey, Wyoming)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-helipad1_zpsd18d40d6.jpg~original

ROOFTOP HELIPADS

I haven't found a list yet, but his one is on a Tokyo hotel at-

Lat n35 39.49

Long e139 45.52

I tried to land this stock EH101 on it but failed miserably after multiple attempts, usually by crashing into the edge of the pad or dumping lift too quickly and splatting on it, or running off the far edge-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-helipad-tokyo_zpsb0d383b3.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-helipad-tokyo2_zps2dc40f30.jpg~original

Below- this other roof pad is on the Metlife building in Manhattan (sorry don't have the co-ords) I haven't tried it yet, this is a youtube shot of somebody landing on it-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-helipad-NYC1_zps4bb22f75.jpg~original

HELIPADS on OIL PLATFORMS

There are about 30, some have NDB or DME - http://www.simtours.net/oilplatform.php

This one is said to have the best graphics, it's in the North Sea at-

Lat n52 12.02

Long e3 29.21

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-helipad-oil1_zps234069c8.jpg~original

Well I think that just about answers all questions about FSX and helicopters. I am most grateful for the replies. For anyone that is considering HeliTraffic, it has a lot of good points.....you have a lot of options....the helicopters really do behave as you would expect.....they take off and land on the pads ...no taxiing....and you can create a schedule (flight plan) for a pad using any AI helicopters you have in your library. For me the only downside is that there is no ATC ....if it were possible I'm sure someone will find a way.

Archived