Grass Monkey IR Head tracker

I used an IR head tracker (Grass Monkey's Odyssey) in FSX-SE.

Today I was able to get it up & running in FS20 without issues by changing the OpenTrack output to "Freetrack 2.0 Enhanced". No other adjustments needed. I just have to remember to start OpenTrack before firing up the Sim.

VERY convenient for looking around the cockpit & outside scenery. A lot more 'natural' than using my Logitech Yoke's hat switch.

Edited by chicagorandy

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

• 3 months later...

A mini update -

GrassMonkey has added a 'custom profile' for MFS 2020 to the website downloads. Just add it to the file specified and it completely smooths out your head movements.

https://grassmonkeysimulations.com/index.php/homepage-2/

IMHO this is a wonderful quality "Poor Man's VR" - $75 for the complete package vs $500+ for a quality actual VR headset. No more fiddling with the hat switch on my control yoke (or a joystick). It does enhance the immersion experience.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

well done lucky fella.......

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Does the open track software install itself as an add on to MSFS2020?

Does it control Cockpit, external and drone views?

Can I still use my xbox controller to "fly" the drone or to adjust height in cockpit and external views?

This sounds like a great gadget.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

The way it works is you first turn on the headset and place it on your noggin. On MY pumpkin head I find wearing a ball cap keeps the head unit in place. Then open OpenTrack from your desktop icon and START it. THEN you open MSFS.

The IR external camera provided is USB wired and typically placed off to one side of the top of your monitor for better reading of the position of the three IR bulbs in the headset. Once in the sim it then tracks all your head movements and body position (moving left/right/closer to the screen is matched in the cockpit view).

I have not yet used 'Drone' mode so I can't speak to that, but Yes it works for Cockpit and External views. As I have said, it may well not be as totally immersive as a proper VR goggle but it's also just 15% of the cost of a $500 one and comes closer and is far more precise than using a hat switch.

Edited by chicagorandy

I'm going to do this, and probably forgo the VR route until the next generation.

Randy, I suggest that you get yourself an xbox controller and set it up with one joystick set to view and the other joystick set to control fore/aft left/right position, then set the cross shaped control to adjust altitude, and one of the front tabs should control roll while the other controls translate speed (very necessary).

Then hit insert and fly the drone. You may never go back to things with wings. It's especially useful if you want to inspect a landmark or a small town; although you can spend hours buzzing around NYC in the drone.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Thanks for the tip - I just ordered a 'high tech, super duper-lol' $15 controller off Amazon and will give the drone a try when it arrives.

Here's how I set the Xbox controller up.

Start by removing all assignments for the controller, that way you won't have any unwanted double assignments.

The controller is useful in cockpit view too. The external view hat switch doesn't need any help.

Decrease cockpit view height L down

Increase cockpit view height L up

Translate cockpit view left L left

Translate cockpit view right L right

Cockpit look down R down

Cockpit look left R left

Cockpit look right R right

Cockpit look up R up

Attach Drone next target RS (push down on right joystick)

Attach Drone previous target LS (push down on left joystick)

Decrease drone translation speed RB (flipper)

Increase drone translation speed LB (flipper)

Translate drone backward L down

Translate drone down cross down

Translate drone forward L up

Translate drone left L left

Translate drone right L right

Translate drone up cross up

Pitch drone down R up

Roll drone right RT (flipper)

Pitch drone up R down

Yaw drone left R left

Yaw drone right R right

Roll drone left LT (flipper)

The two little buttons in the middle and the cross left and right

remain unassigned unless you have something for them.

The X,Y,A,B can be assigned for the altitude and heading bugs so that

you never again have to struggle to turn those knobs.

A million thanks for the info - The only controller with which I had 'familiarity' was for my Intellivision in the 80's - lol

I would also add that my personal explorations into the strange new world of VR has taught me that MY desktop PC can't run the new $500-$600+ VR headsets anyway, so my $75 investment in the Odyssey IR is pretty sweet.

Edited by chicagorandy

• 2 years later...

A quick note regarding OpenTrack, head tracker headsets and the like, IF you find the camera jumping around like it is possessed and it only stops when you go to camera controls and turn off Track IR? Like just happened to me a few minutes ago?

Fret not, Open up your Windows 'Task Manager" - Control/Alt/ Delete - and locate Open Track. You will find likely that there are TWO open apps. END both of them. Restart OpenTrack and all will again be right with the world. Don't known how I keep making this dumb error, but it has happened a few times over the couple years I've had the head tracker gizmo. Fat fingers or too quick double clicking the old mouse I reckon.

I, too, have not ventured into VR with MSFS.  I had a Track IR 3 setup from long ago that I still use with MSFS.  Similar to what was noted above, it too is "VERY convenient for looking around the cockpit & outside scenery"  It is so ancient that it was designed to sit atop a CTR screen and will not sit on a flat screen.  I made a small wooden stand for it that sits behind the flat screen and it works like a charm.

• Like 1

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.

For those who might be interested in purchasing one - here is the link to the guy's website who makes the units - Made in the USA too.

GrassMonkey IR Headsets

I started with his 60hz model in 2020 and have since upgraded to the 240hz Monkey King Odyssey. Works great and IMHO very affordable compared to the VR goggle systems. Worth noting that the headset is wireless for freedom of movement in the 'cockpit'. I am NOT in any way affiliated with GrassMonkey, I'm just a fan of his product.