Can someone explain what Don't Sink is?

How is it different to stall?

What am I doing wrong to hear this?

Please don't flood the thread with anti MSFS posts about how the game is broken :) - just let me know what the message should mean and what I should do etc.

Well, it was a nuisance in FSX and came into play whenever I was on approach to the runway using the Glideslope. It makes no sense (to me) because you have to sink when coming in for a landing. IMHO the callout "sink rate" is more appropriate. I wound up eliminating the sound file for "don't sink".

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I hear it if I take off and my joystick is not calibrated, I let go of the stick and the plane will nose dive at the ground, the "dont sink" message starts blaring :)
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

No its not a nuisance, unless you have never been in a Boeing cockpit

in the late 70s i used to go with my Dad in “training flights” in a 707. in those days there were no simulators so training was in a real airplane flying above the airport or over non populated areas. take off with engine failure, landing with one engine out, simulating fire alarms etc. He was a 707 Captain and instructor, trained in Seattle in early 70s, in 1977 we jumped to the 747-200

in certain attitudes the recorder triggers “dont sink” dont sink, its like a friend next to you giving you advice, your VS is too high, you are sinking, apply power...dont sink, lower or raise your nose depending on the situation

The rule is that if you hear this alarm dont sink immediately you need to apply power. Its a critical situation. If you have an engine failure or in special conditions of speed and atitude and vertical descent. If you are repeatedly hearing this alarm, you are not flying properly.

And because the sound of “dont sink” over a bad speaker sometimes gets into our brain as “dont think” its very emphatic. Dont think, just act! Apply power now!

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

No its not a nuisance, unless you have never been in a Boeing cockpit

in the late 70s i used to go with my Dad in “training flights” in a 707. in those days there were no simulators so training was in a real airplane flying above the airport or over non populated areas. take off with engine failure, landing with one engine out, simulating fire alarms etc. He was a 707 Captain and instructor, trained in Seattle in early 70s, in 1977 we jumped to the 747-200

in certain attitudes the recorder triggers “dont sink” dont sink, its like a friend next to you giving you advice, your VS is too high, you are sinking, apply power...dont sink, lower or raise your nose depending on the situation

The rule is that if you hear this alarm dont sink immediately you need to apply power. Its a critical situation. If you have an engine failure or in special conditions of speed and atitude and vertical descent. If you are repeatedly hearing this alarm, you are not flying properly.

And because the sound of “dont sink” over a bad speaker sometimes gets into our brain as “dont think” its very emphatic. Dont think, just act! Apply power now!

+1

This audio message can also be heard on takeoff in some aircraft in mountainous surroundings and is normal. The on board systems detect terrain below despite a positive attitude coupled with increasing speed. It should not last more than a few seconds. Otherwise, you are not flying the aircraft correctly.

"Don't Sink" is an EGPWS (Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System) call-out. Specifically, "Mode 3".

It measures any loss of barometric altitude vs Rad-Alt. If the loss is significant for a specific height, it'll let you know about it. It's a linear scale of Baro/Rad to get the waning. A loss of about 40' at 250RA would cause the "Don't Sink".

It is a know bug in MSFS. It's rather annoying!

Cheers,

Strikey

Embraer E190 Driver