GPS flight goes the wrong way

I experienced a crazy thing while flying from Midway Island (PMDY) to Wake Island (PWAK). Less than a third of the way, the GPS path went from a southwesterly direct to an easterly path. Apparently the path that MSFS wanted me to take was completely around the globe and come in from the east. I would say that is a bit of a glitch. Hopefully this will get reported to MSFS.

I had a similar thing happen. After saving a flight midway, I came back later and turned on the AI Pilot and it immediately turned around and started flying towards the departure airport! Tried to turn it around but the AI insisted on taking me back to the departure.

I think this may be a problem with your flight plan. If the flight plan has a discontinuity, the flight will revert back to a good waypoint. If you selected a departure, and that creates a discontinuity in your flight plan, this will happen.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I think you will find this is on the Garmin unit fitted to the GA planes. The big jets when I tried lose the flight plan from the FMC full stop if you load a saved game.

I also found (on the Garmin) there is no response on the dial if you are in the FPL screen with a waypoint highlighted, you cannot scroll down the list and select another to issue the "Direct To" command.

Basically, it's b u sted.

Vern.

I've just tried this myself - I accidentally changed the NAV1 frequency while in GPS Nav mode and flew off course. I swapped the frequency back again, then I opened the FPL screen and scrolled down to highlight the next waypoint - the scroll knob has an Inner and Outer knob, make sure you're mouse scroll-wheeling the Outer one in the right direction - then I clicked the Direct To button and scrolled down that screen to highlight Activate, then clicked the ENT button. The plane immediately turned toward the next waypoint and continued along the flightplan as normal. Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Yes either method ought to work, and even scrolling can be hit and miss on many of the knobs in other planes too. Perhaps it's a screen resolution and/or FPS issue, but I've started zooming in to the gauge or panel with the knob I want to turn before attempting to scroll it.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Well that didn't work... Loaded my saved flight and the flight had defaulted back to running between WP14 and W15. Highlighted the required waypoint (19) - BTW click worked this time - but pressing direct to just brought up a blank entry. In the meantime the AP had once again banked the aircraft too much and put it into a terminal dive as it was trying to get a vector to 15.

This is just getting incredibly frustrating and Asobo need to get things patched ASAP.

Vern.

pressing direct to just brought up a blank entry.

That's right, there are just rows of dashes like: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

But if you scroll down past them all to highlight Activate at the bottom of that screen, then click the ENT button, Direct To will work.

You need to calibrate your controllers using the built-in Win10 Game Controllers app to prevent the over-banking issue. In the Search window on the Task Bar, type joy.cpl to open it. MSFS reads it's controller calibration data from that app which also affects the AP controls.

Edited by tiger1962

But are they calibrated with the Game Controllers app?

It's important to do this especially if you had to manually set the assignments.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

None of that worked.

Configured joystick, still went into a dive turning back to the earlier WP while I was trying to set up the Garmin. Still can't get "Direct To" to work either even following the above process.

Really beginning to get annoyed with this half finished game, now.

Vern.

Update. On a hunch I went to the middle MFD (this is on the Caravan). That did allow me to scroll through the legs and has an "Act Leg" button.

So that possibly solves the GPS setup, now let's just see if it will get back on course without augering in...

Edit: No straight into the ground again. What a crock of poo.

Edited by Elvensmith
Vern.

Just a thought Vern, but are you using Active Pause (the Pause/Break key) while you're making these adjustments? If so, that'll cause a nose dive for sure! As long as the plane is flying straight and level you can safely make the adjustments without pausing.

No I learned the hard way (as we all did) that active pause is not (currently) fit for purpose and delved into the commands to enable the traditional inflight pause/unpause. I have had the same result of a dive whether making the adjustment whether the game is running or paused.
Vern.