Serious lag, 1 fps

Hey guys, I recently update my graphics card and memory in preparation for MSFS 2020.

Here's my setup:

i5 6600k overclocked to 4.2ghz

GeForce GTX 1660 Super

16GB Memory at 3000mhz

Internet speed is showing around 125 Mbps

Yet I'm frequently getting 1-4 fps at times and the game freezes a lot and won't respond to inputs. For instance, I go to take off and give it full throttle and nothing happens for several seconds then I'll get 1 fps, then 4, up to 7 then it freezes again.

My GPU isn't stressed, the fans aren't even turning on.

Any ideas?

I have my settings as shown in this article...

https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/656300-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-pc-best-settings-increase-fps

The Game Revolution article has the Global Rendering Quality set to High-End. Your system is similar to mine and I've got Global Rendering Quality on Medium, with V-Sync Off, Frame Rate Limit at 20fps and Anti-Aliasing on FXAA. My 4k monitor is 3840x2160, so I've set Full Screen Resolution to the one below full 4k resolution which is 2560x1600. I'm getting up to 25fps even though the limit is 20fps.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Xray328, have you switched on developer mode? Go into settings/general & click the developer tab. With developer mode on you’ll see a small menu bar at the top left of your screen. One of it’s options is to display FPS.. but it also displays more info.

It may say something like “GPU limited” or “mainthread limited” (cpu)

I have medium-high end pc and run most settings on ultra (render scale 100 though) and I display across three screens in 1080p in windowed mode. I get 30-40 FPS.

I do occasionally get a total freeze though. Usually when I first launch the sim.. it sometimes locks up completely for several seconds before take off. After that it’s fine though. I think it’s down to the program (or MS servers?) rather than my hardware.

However last week I messed with the resolution. I tried to use nvidia’s surround setting, which changed the resolution to 4K. MSFS became unusable.. with the FPS 1-5!

What resolution are you running at?

Did you update your ram to 16? I think 32Gb might be a better option.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Before take off you really have to wait a minute or

more until the fane download the tiles and adjust weather if live or ATC, stutters are common in this phase and fps can freeze or come down to 1, depending on qhich programs you have running in the backwards or windows processes eating cpu resources. Let it adjust take this time to prepare your cockpit, study the route, etc

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

I have a similar setup as the original poster. In fact, same graphics card.

I did not adjust the graphic's setting that the game recommended, but, my resolution is only 1600 X 900, I know others crank it up. If yours is set to a high setting, try lowering it.

My frame rate, flying around Jacksonville, FL is around 30-40 FPS. Now, as I get closer to the city, it will freeze for about 4-5 seconds, guessing it is loading things, but then it smooths out

Also, I will throw this in, but, is your GPU running the latest drivers? Crazy question I know, but sometimes we may over look something obvious :) (happens to me every day, lol)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality