I don’t think you can download onto a drive of any sort so to install later.

It downloads & installs a small part onto your Windows installation drive & the rest of it (about 90gb) is then downloaded and installed to the location of your choice.

There’s no “download now, but install later” option

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thanks Steve, didn't think so. I am pretty sure sometime in the future, MS will offer the offline version. DVD for the US. Why pass up on making more money.

Because making and distributing DVDs is a business expense, and the company makes less money, less profit compared to online download-based software. New business computers no longer have CD\DVD drives except as an option. Like floppy drives and Zip drives that also were once popular, optical drives are fading away too. I saw a survey report from a freshman college class last week - over half the students said they had no access to a DVD-drive enabled device, and couldn't use disc-based media. I bet most of them have newer model ultra-thin laptops.

Edited by ftldave
add txt

New business computers no longer have CD\DVD drives except as an option. Like floppy drives and Zip drives that also were once popular, optical drives are fading away too. I saw a survey report from a freshman college class last week - over half the students said they had no access to a DVD-drive enabled device, and couldn't use disc-based media.

You’re quite right, but it’s not just business pc’s

I bought my (gaming) pc three years ago and it doesn’t have a CD/DVD drive. I have since bought an external one which plugs in to (two) usb sockets.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

You’re quite right, but it’s not just business pc’s

I bought my (gaming) pc three years ago and it doesn’t have a CD/DVD drive. I have since bought an external one which plugs in to (two) usb sockets.

Regards

Steve

Yet another reason to build your own computer. Buy a case, a power-supply, mother board,etc. Then you install what other hardware you choose and only buy what you need, not what they can get a deal on! It's easy, just put the stuff in the slots the instructions call for!! ;)

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Because making and distributing DVDs is a business expense, and the company makes less money, less profit compared to online download-based software. New business computers no longer have CD\DVD drives except as an option. Like floppy drives and Zip drives that also were once popular, optical drives are fading away too. I saw a survey report from a freshman college class last week - over half the students said they had no access to a DVD-drive enabled device, and couldn't use disc-based media. I bet most of them have newer model ultra-thin laptops.

Try being here in Canada where the internet companies make canadians pay highest prices in the world. They are loving this MSFS2020 $$$$$$$$$. I won't mention cell phones cause i could go on for days.

Core i7 10700K OC to 4.6 all cores/EVGA 750W G+ PSU/ MSI Z490 edge mobo/GSkill RAM DDR4 32GB(2X16GB) 3600mhz/ ASUS TUF RTX 3080/ Win10 home/ Asus 32 inch monitor 1440p/ CH Flightstick

I put a new PSU & a new graphics card in (RTX2080ti) earlier in the year. Also added two M.2 drives in recently, so yes I know the benefits of a custom build

Regards

Steve