X-Box controller for Showcase Camera

Hi all. New to the forum here. (Also 79 years old, so be kind).

Not at all familiar with X-Box hardware, etc.

Can someone either answer a couple of questions, or direct me to the answers?

Is anyone using an X-Box controller for the Showcase Camera and if so, would you recommend wired or wireless?

If wireless, do you need a dongle to hook it to the PC?

Will a less expensive controller like a PowerA ($25) on Amazon work OK?

Thanks for any help.

Hi! Ya old fart! I'm also an old fart, 74. And you can find the way to do what you want by watching Squirrel's FS2020 tutorials on YouTube:

His 3rd one is all about using the cameras, and he mentions the X-Box controller. I bought a generic USB one on Amazon for about $30. If you can find an X-Box compatible wireless, it'll work, too.

Have fun! Maybe we'll fly together out there soon!

-= Gary =-

MSFS2020, i7-7700 4.2 Ghz(liquid-cooled), ASUS GTX-1080Ti (liquid-cooled), 32 Gb RAM, Logitech X-56 HOTAS, Logitech ProFlight rudder pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, Razer OrbWeaver, Track-IR

If you buy an official Xbox wireless controller you need the Xbox USB dongle. Its $20.00.

They claim you can run on Bluetooth but the controller kicks off Bluetooth once a game starts. I learned that the hard way and bought the dongle. Works 100% now.

You'll be happier wireless despite the additional cost though.

Where can I buy the X Box MS FS2020 and please recommend an X Box on Amazon. Never used X Box before, I think that would be better than upgrading my computer. I am 75 and I am looking for the best advice. I have MS 2004 but got tired of it. When I saw that a new sim was coming out. I got back on flightsim. com. The videos of FS2020 are great. Any advice and help would be great.

Thanks

Rich

Rich is always flying low and fast.

Where can I buy the X Box MS FS2020 and please recommend an X Box on Amazon. Never used X Box before, I think that would be better than upgrading my computer. I am 75 and I am looking for the best advice. I have MS 2004 but got tired of it. When I saw that a new sim was coming out. I got back on flightsim. com. The videos of FS2020 are great. Any advice and help would be great.

Thanks

Rich

The Xbox version of the sim hasn't been released yet, and nether has the upcoming Xbox Series X. If you do buy the sim from the Microsoft Store you will be able to run it on your PC today as well as on an Xbox, when the console version is released, as it is one of Microsoft's Play Anywhere titles. On the console side, the new Xbox Series X will be far more powerful than the current Xbox One models, and should be much better suited to running the sim.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere

I bought a generic wired controller from Amazon for $26.99:

EasySMX Wired Gaming Controller,PC Game Controller Joystick with Dual-Vibration Turbo and Trigger Buttons for Windows/Android/ PS3/ TV Box(Black)

Works fine, and the cable is nice and long!

-= Gary =-

MSFS2020, i7-7700 4.2 Ghz(liquid-cooled), ASUS GTX-1080Ti (liquid-cooled), 32 Gb RAM, Logitech X-56 HOTAS, Logitech ProFlight rudder pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, Razer OrbWeaver, Track-IR

I bought an XBox controller Power A Spectra wired one the other day. It was $79.95AU and works great.

Just remember if you are using 2 screens the cursor has to be on the main display otherwise it won,t work and you can finish in some funny situations when you do, I have plenty of USB port so it suits me.

What does the x box controller give you over using the mouse?

Full control of control surfaces and camera views for one. It's similar to what RC (radio control) airplane controllers are like. They also have two joysticks.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

What does the x box controller give you over using the mouse?

Go to the Squirrel tutorials on YouTube. The X-Box controller will do all or most of your camera stuff. Slick!

-= Gary =-