RTW Retro Flight #113 Glasgow to Manchester . . . . . 1962

NMLW

BEA flight BE-4527 is a Vickers Viscount 800 on a flight from Glasgow to Manchester (EGRF – EGCC). We have 400 gallons of fuel on board for the 160 nm flight of about 1 hour. Thunderstorms are forecast for the entire flight. We will be cruising at an altitude of 14,000 feet.

Thanks to:

Aircraft: Vickers Viscount 800. The model, original textures and the 1958 BEA paint are by Jens B. Kristensen.

Propliner AI & Traffic: CalClassic & FS Aviator - Tom Gibson, Mike Stevens, Jason Krogmann, Manuel Jagmann, Bill Towers, Nikko Yaginuma, Richard Wright, Frederick Coleman, Dave Jones, Paul Haak, Marty Lochmiller, Ake Lindberg, Harland Sandberg, Richard Wright and Gary Harper. At www.calclassic.com

Scenery and Add-ons: MS FS2004 v9.1, MS Windows 7 Professional and:

- Glasgow Renfrew Airport scenery is as follows: Renfrew terminal, old terminal, hangar and gatehouse scenery by Geoff Smith. Afcad and additional scenery elements by Nikko Yaginuma, ground2K files by Tom Gibson. Beta-tested by Harry Biard, Jaap de Baare, Wolfgang Gersh and Tom Gibson. At www.calclassic.com

- Manchester Airport scenery is by David Maltby and Tom Gibson. At www.calclassic.com

- Rwy12 and EZ Static Object and Scenery Libraries at www.flightsim.com.

- FS2004 Classic Scenery Libraries v4a by Wolfgang Gersch at www.flightsim.com

- REX FS9 w/Overdrive & SP5.

- Flight One Ground Environment Pro II

- FS Genesis UT Europe.

Click to Enlarge . . . . . .

Vickers Viscount_BEA_01.jpg

1. BEA Timetable 1 July – 31 October, 1962.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_02.jpg

2. Passengers loaded, cockpit checks completed and engines started.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_03.jpg

3. Taxiing to runway 26 for departure.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_04.jpg

4. Waiting for takeoff clearance.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_05.jpg

5. Clearance granted and we are airborne.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_06.jpg

6. In the soup climbing through 1,600 feet and turning on course for Manchester.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_07.jpg

7. Climbing through the weather at 3,500 feet 6 nm from Renfrew.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_08.jpg

8. Now at 9,000 feet the visibility is getting worse.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_09.jpg

9. We are cruising at 14,000 feet in broken storm clouds about 60 nm from Glasgow.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_10.jpg

10. With solid cloud cover below we calculate we are nearing the Lake District of Cumbria about half way to Manchester. We have climbed to 18,000 feet to get above the worst of the weather.

More in the reply . . . . . . . . .

Larry

Click to Enlarge . . . . . .

Vickers Viscount_BEA_11.jpg

11. Still in and out of clouds with no visibility below, we should be just south of Morecambe Bay.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_12.jpg

12. We begin our initial descent near the town of Blackburn.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_13.jpg

13. Northeast of Manchester descending through 6,500 feet in scattered clouds and rain.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_14.jpg

14. Eight nm from Manchester with flaps 20 and gear down we turn to intercept runway 24 at the airport.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_15.jpg

15. At about 1,800 feet we have the runway in sight and are turning to line up our approach.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_16.jpg

16. Lined up on final approach with full flaps.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_17.jpg

17. Touchdown.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_18.jpg

18. Completing the rollout and heading to the turnoff.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_19.jpg

19. Taxiing to the terminal.

Vickers Viscount_BEA_20.jpg

20. Parked, systems powered down and passengers disembarked. Spectators on the upper deck are getting wet. Thanks for flying BEA.

Larry

Another fine flight and presentation! 1962, the year I was born :eek: The soupy weather and cockpit shots are my favorites. The scenery is great all in itself. Thanks for sharing! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Brings back memories Larry, I worked at EGCC and remember the open spectator terraces above the piers.

We often saw someone waiting for a flight to arrive because they had friends or family on board, when the aircraft docked and the pax were getting off, sometimes one of them would throw the duty free cigarettes up to their friends, thus avoiding paying duty.

Course as years went by and security got more strict they had to close the terraces, some suggested having them covered but for whatever reason it never happened.

Great shots as usual Larry, I remember the Viscounts very well, The engines were very noisy with a high pitch kind of screaming noise, and in those days our ear defenders were not very good, I blame a lot of this to my hearing loss.

Col.

Absolutely brilliant, Larry. Thanks for sharing.

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]