How do I use the GPS to navigate me to my next waypoints?

How do I use the GPS to navigate me to my next waypoints? Is there anyway that I can use the GPS to take me to waypoints?

I don't use it that way but I guess if I were too I would Google Some FSX GPS Way point Videos. Good luck

The Learning Center has a section on using the Flight Planner, a section on Navigation, one on the basic Autopilot and another on the G1000 for Glass Cockpits. Essential reading for everything beyond FVR.

If your sim starts with the default flight, you must exit the flight to get to the main menu where you can access the Learning Center, your pilot records, Lessons and missions. This window is called 'opening screen' in the General settings and is NOT the default so you can set it that way if you choose.

First you must have a flight plan: you can make it using the built-in flight planner or an external utility. Plan-G is a good (and free) map utility that includes a route planner similar to the one in FSX but a little easier to use and edit.

The Learning Center gives a step-by-step procedure to making a flight plan; the thing to note is step 4 (the auto-routing method - be sure to select GPS). After leaving the ground on your flight, before turning ON the Autopilot, make sure that you have GPS selected or the autopilot will default to looking for VOR directions. Note!! Not all aircraft will have a physical NAV/GPS switch; In this case you MUST assign a keybinding to the "Nav 1/GPS toggle" function before you try to use it. Set your altitude and Nav Mode, then turn the autopilot on and it should follow the route you set up.

I use GPS almost exclusively so my default flight has the GPS mode selected so I always start the sim with that mode pre-set. My flightplans are always VFR; they don't have to be IFR to use GPS and autopilot.

What is a bit confusing is the NAV/GPS switch nomenclature - it really should have been called the VOR/GPS or something similar to avoid confusion. The NAV switch on the autopilot selects that NAV/GPS navigation mode as distinguished from HEADING hold or APPROACH hold.

The autopilot also has a DIRECT mode. you enter the destination apt code and you fly there direct (using GPS). A user-created waypoint probably needs to be part of a flight plan.

Hope this helps,

Loyd

Edited by llivaudais

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Start your flight. Parked at an airport.

--Press to see the menu bar.

-Click flightplanner.

--create a plan.

-save it, it will then also be loaded to the gps.

Take off as usual.

Try to get close to a place on the route manually. Flying in about the the right direction.

In the aircraft cockpit or panel, switch the "GPS/NAV" over to 'GPS'.

Select nav-hld on the autopilot.

With the switch set to 'GPS' the navigation system follows the gps route instead of a fixed heading.

Enjoy!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When on autopilot, how does the pilot avoid getting hit by another plane? For example, from an incoming plane that is not in his line of sight... like getting hit in the rear (can a GPS or some other instrument show other planes in the area so that he doesn't get 'rear-ended').
Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

When on autopilot, how does the pilot avoid getting hit by another plane? For example, from an incoming plane that is not in his line of sight... like getting hit in the rear (can a GPS or some other instrument show other planes in the area so that he doesn't get 'rear-ended').

Hi oneleg,

The short answer to your question, "Regulated aircraft separation" dependant on the class of airspace (ATC controlled) using each aircrafts Transponder code.

Generally (5NM horizontal & 1000ft alt vertical)

Because it is difficult to give generalisations on the subject, it might be best to link you to a wiki article or two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_(aeronautics)

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/services/how-air-traffic-control-works/separation-standards/

Edited by jethrom

Looking carefully out the window would be the first advice.

In real life ADS-B gives you primary warning - but only for other ADS-B equipped aircraft:

Looking carefully out the window would be the first advice.

In real life ADS-B gives you primary warning - but only for other ADS-B equipped aircraft:

And for operation in and around airfields and airports there will be acknowledged lines of approach with corresponding heights, which is where radio altimeters come in so useful - measuring actual-height-above-ground rather than altitude-based-on-pressure..

I see you're now posting in the FSX forum oneleg, whereas in the earlier postings you referred to P3D.

Can you please tell us what sims you have (and what versions) as advice can be tailored to your choice of sim?