special boot file for fsx

fsc_ba

I was wondering if it is possible to have windows only running what is absolutely required to run fsx and not loading loads of things not required just to fly with fsx i.e. when my windows starts I notice all kinds of programs are opened that I did not actually open myself including an awful lot of unnecessary window programs to.

I am looking to be able to run a personal boot file that allows me to run fsx with the very least of additional program files?

I used to have dual boot on 2 separate drives

I have same for two different operating systems on two different drives.

But he is suggesting having same Windows boot with different startup configurations which I hope is possible because it sounds like a good idea, possibly preventing FSX hiccups.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Hi if you are using W7 or W10, have a look at this,

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html,

It contains a large amount of info on how to streamline a windows install.

I have used it on all my installs, and it definitely works, give it a try, you

never know,

cheers

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

Found this, but it sounds like you could really mess up your computer if you don't know what your doing...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Summary

A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Look at Autoruns and uncheck things you don't necessarily need starting up. Just don't disable thighs that you shouldn't.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

OOM errors? Read this.

"The great thing about flight simulation is that in real life there are no do-overs." - Abraham Lincoln c. 1865

An awesome weather website with oodles of Info. and options.

Wile E. Coyote would be impressed.

Hi fsc_ba,

I don't think a specific boot file or setup is needed, but a thorough read of the OS services that are running, perhaps you might be able to set them to manual or disable the non essential ones.

Blackviper.com has a list of services (Default, Safe, Tweeked and Barebones) for OS's (WinXP through to W7, W7Sp1, W8, W8.1, Win10). http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/

I would choose the more conservative "Safe" settings and read the service descriptions before disabling any, you could even keep a copy Print CSV EXCEL or just expand the entries and Highlight Copy the page to a word .docx for reference, in case you need to set them back to OS defaults.

For those programs which are appearing after Windows user logon, might I suggest you look in your Start menu under "Startup" there maybe some programs .exe (executable) in that folder which will automatically start or initiate briefly upon User logon. If you do not want them to start automatically upon logon you may create a temp folder within the Startup Folder and move those entries for later use if needed.

In my Startup folder I have (O&O Defrag.exe, RealTemp.exe & OneNote.exe) I could probably do away with MS_OneNote.

Restart your system after making services or "Startup" menu changes.

My philosophy for years has been "if it's goood enough to improve FSX, I want it ALL the time". So I don't think a special boot-up is worth doing JUST for FSX/P3D. Do it all the time because it will improve performance for everything, yes? You have Kostas' guide in the sticky above and Nick's guide (that I found first) here so read, understand and make your OS streamlined for everything. For those of you on Win 10, be aware that many features that you can't simply click to disable can still be disabled with Powershell - that is not a subject for a quickie how-to; do your research and proceed with care.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

That depends on how much you turn off. If you only use FSX while offline, then you could turn off all services relating to internet etc.

My self, all games I have work fine with ALL services running just fine. FSX is the only one that hiccups etc.

So I hope whom ever experiments with this will share...

1. What operating system your using

2. Absolute required services

3. Most common unnecessary services

4. Services you have found that severely impact FSX that should be disabled

Archived