changing FS9 props to FSX props doesn't work

Flattermann

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is what I'm getting, I can get the texture right but still a square.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209113[/ATTACH]

Col.

What do the props look like at rest? is the square still apparent?

W11 Home. Intel Corei7-14700K 3.4Ghz 28cpu.

Nvidia Geforce RTX4040Ti Super. ASUS ROG Strix B650 Mobo.

1 TB Samsung 990m2 SSD.

At rest just ordinary props, I think the problem is there isn't separate texture folder for them, they are included in the main aircraft folder, everything is in there, fuselage, wings, wheels and props etc, it's just one folder with everything in.

OK. I thought my original reply was simplistic as you seem to have a much better grasp of this than I do.

The DHC6 had normal props when stationary, they only went solid when the engines started.

I've been googling various search terms (you too no doubt) to see if I could find anything relevant to your problem.

The only thing that seemed anything near is the attached link. https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fs2004-aircraft-propeller-states.439521/

Most of it is way beyond my pay grade, I can only hope it may help you

1 TB Samsung 990m2 SSD.

Guys

Seems like a problem too hard to fix, it could be the alpha channel applied to the wrong part of the Prop.bmp or Prop.dxt or possibly an incompatibility between FS9 model and FSX SP1 SP2 AccPack.

If you want a Canadair CL215 that actually seems to operate properly and is already flyable & has many of the repaints shown in the pics throughout this thread.

then

There is a Canadair CL215 v3 over at FlyawaySim for FSX SP1 SP2 AccPack FSX Steam & (P3Dv3) I would think). 215fsx_v3up.zip

Perhaps not worth trying to make the FS9 AI model flyable and fully functional in FSX.

Here's a link: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/4886/fsx-canadair-cl215-v3/

Or search for FSX Canadair CL215 V3

Guys

Seems like a problem too hard to fix, it could be the alpha channel applied to the wrong part of the Prop.bmp or Prop.dxt or possibly an incompatibility between FS9 model and FSX SP1 SP2 AccPack.

If you want a Canadair CL215 that actually seems to operate properly and is already flyable & has many of the repaints shown in the pics throughout this thread.

then

There is a Canadair CL215 v3 over at FlyawaySim for FSX SP1 SP2 AccPack FSX Steam & (P3Dv3) I would think). 215fsx_v3up.zip

Perhaps not worth trying to make the FS9 AI model flyable and fully functional in FSX.

Here's a link: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/4886/fsx-canadair-cl215-v3/

See post#20 where he berated me for making it flyable so I could see the props in action. He wants it as AI.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Guys

then

I'm willing to acknowledge my ignorance of faulty alpha channels, but could they not be fixed with the right tool?

1 TB Samsung 990m2 SSD.

.....The only thing that seemed anything near is the attached link. https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fs2004-aircraft-propeller-states.439521/

Most of it is way beyond my pay grade, I can only hope it may help you

Hi Ptrcam, Col, Zippy and others,

Thank you for elping me. The link above brought me the answer the props are part of the model. You can see it in the MCX picture (Attachement)

I am not good in handling this tool, so I don't know what to do to change this Squres or to get rid of them. I think it is to difficult for me:(

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/attachment.php?attachmentid=209115&d=1554740671&thumb=1&stc=1

You see also the problem, MCX doesn't find the textures and I don't no why. I always have this problem with FS9 models.

CL_215_MCX.jpg

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

MCX doesn't find the textures and I don't no why.

Have you tried selecting a livery from the dropdown box?

Capture.JPG

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

...the props are part of the model...

Where else would they be???

In FS there are a few different prop states.

When the engines are off, and during startup, you see the 3D prop.

When the engine is running the 3D prop is replaced with a textured, flat plane. That is what the "square" is that you are seeing.

The parts of the "square" that you usually do not see in the sim are handled by the Alpha channel of the prop.bmp.

The challenge with porting FS9 planes into FSX is that the two sims handle transparency differently.

Props are a particular challenge which is why things like clouds often look weird on FS9 planes used in FSX.

The oddities that you see in FSX are a result of "stacked" elements that rely on the texture Alpha channel for transparency.

To quote a famous rock band, "you can't always get what you want".

peace,

the Bean

NB. Yes, I am aware that there are newer payware models that have "volumetric" spinning props. They are out of the realm of this discussion.

Never argue with idiots.

Hi String, I've tried using props from FSX models plus various prop fixes that are out there, as you see from the pics the texture works but for some reason the props are still displaying as squares, these other props that I've tried have been in various formats and must have the alpha as they work with other aircraft.

I even converted one prop texture to be transparent but that showed as a black square.

Col.

No, its a fake, the same files as the other FS9 I tried it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Have you tried selecting a livery from the dropdown box?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209116[/ATTACH]

peace,

the Bean

Thank you, as I said I am not good handling MCX. I think it was about two years ago as I used it the last time. You are right I see now the textured aircraft in MCX.

No doubt the props are part oft the model. I was only surprised if I deleted the prop texture there was no change at the squares. I really have not totally understand the connection between the mdl-file and the texture-files.

I really have not totally understand the connection between the mdl-file and the texture-files.

The .mdl file contains the data that defines the shape of the object, literally a series of triangular shaped faces, or planes.

Each face is assigned a material and, usually, a texture.

The material defines attributes such as is the face transparent or not.

The faces are "mapped" to a specific part of the texture sheet which is defined by name.

So liveries are different sets of textures, all with the same file names.

Deleting a texture does not remove the faces from the model, for that you need the source material that was used to create the model. That info is not typically shared by the original model creator.

What you are seeing with the props is a square face, made up of two triangles, with the prop texture mapped to it. Deleting the texture does not delete the face.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

The only thing that seemed anything near is the attached link. https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fs2004-aircraft-propeller-states.439521/

I tried with this thread to change the props, but it was to complicate for me. I only could get rid of the prop-animation and the props itself.

I think an AI-aircraft without props is allways better than an aircraft with big square-propellers;)

The .mdl file contains the data that defines the shape of the object, literally a series of triangular shaped faces, or planes........

peace,

the Bean

Thank you Bean for your explanation now my understanding is a little bit better;)

I just found over at the Avsim library the same AI Aardvark Canadair CL-215 converted for Prepar3D v4 & the strange thing is that the file (aia_canadair_cl-215_p3dv4.zip) only contains the updated models, so it appears that the prop textures must work with P3D v4 without any modification, I don't know whether these models will work with FSX?

Hi Paul, this I can't proof because I don't have P3Dv4. I hope it is not the same problem like in FSX.

I don't have P3D v4 either, but as the updated models don't come with any modified textures, then the prop textures must be ok & the problem lies with the model, probably the material settings for the prop texture have not been set to transparent when making the model. It's worth downloading & trying the updated models, just do a search in the Avsim library for aia_canadair_cl-215_p3dv4.zip.

Paul, we need a answer from somebody using p3dv4. I fear it is the same problem as in the past somebody tried to tell us this or that is a native FSX-model and the truth was only a MDL8MDLH (=FS9).

Hi Col and friends,

I downloaded an update for CL-215 from https://www.rikoooo.com/downloads/viewdownload/16/235 for FSX &P3D. It is the complet aircraft and it works in FSX. Looks fine but I can't use it as AI-aircraft because it parks and started and landed with gear down. Perhaps somebody could change this with MCX but I can't.

Archived