Quick DXTBmp question for anyone in the know

richiemo

Hi Guys!!! I use the DXTBmp quite frequently for plane painting. And what I notice is that I work on a plane and make multiple changes, it seems that the hard drive space on my computer reduces as I go. In other words, I'll make a change, save the bitmap, then go back and make another change, save the bitmap, etc and the hard-drive space reduces. Are my changes saving somewhere else. I'm thinking that saving a bitmap is like saving a word document....as in its the same document. But I'm wondering if each change is saving somewhere and taking up hard drive space. Am I making sense?

If you're using Photoshop or similar to do the editing, it uses Virtual Memory - in other words, physical disk space - to store all your changes in case you go back a few steps in the History menu. In Photoshop you can change the number of steps the History menu will save, and choose to delete them when you close Photoshop which will restore your disk space again.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

When you open an image in DXTBmp it does create a temporary folder (in Win 7- C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp) where it stores the working copies of the images that you can send to your image editing software.

I opened a 4MB DXT3 image in DXTBmp and it created an 8MB temp folder, so not a huge drain on storage space. (If it is, you need a bigger HD).

DXTBmp deletes that temp folder when you close DXTBmp, so you get that space back.

As Tim stated, if you are seeing significantly larger draws on available disk space, I would look at your image editing program.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I have always used a USB drive for my FS9 programming for a number of reasons 1/ It saves disk space on C:\ 2/ if windows corrupts and need a re-install all I do is plug the drive it and it’s all there 3 if I go away and use my slow laptop, again just plug the dive in and away I go.

Always back your backup

Archived