Returning to flight simulator questions.

rct13

Hello

looking to get back into sim after 10 years. Used FS2004 starting in 2004 for about 5 years. Have tons of add ons, planes, scenery, airports, AI and terrain files. FS2004 looks really great when you get all of these upgrades in. My question is has there been a new Sim released that would save the time having to reinstall and configure everything from scratch thats worth taking a look at? I tried a demo of X plane 11 and its a bit much for my machine and the graphics did seem that great anyway. I did prefer FS2004 over FSX. Anyway just wanted to ask here and get your thoughts.

Thanks!

I suppose everyone will suggest P3D, but your FS2004 addons will not work. And then there is the expense of purchase and paying again for updates.

My recommendation would be to continue with what works for you.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

........My question is has there been a new Sim released that would save the time having to reinstall and configure everything from scratch thats worth taking a look at?......

No - all the new sims available (i.e. XP11 and P3D) still need to be configured and have enhanced stuff added to get the best of them.

P3D is basically similar to FSX but with some enhancements that make it 64bit compatible. AFAIK very little, if any, FS2004 stuff is compatible with it. Indeed, whilst based on FSX, not all of the FSX stuff will work in P3D, especially the recent latest version.

Another program that might be of interest to you is called FlightGear Flight Simulator - see HERE. Its a open source free program and appears to have a small but thriving community. 3rd party addons can be found via a link on the download page located on the website.

A word of caution - there is a 'scam' frequently doing the rounds regarding a 'payware' product called ProFlight Simulator - it is the freeware FlightGear product being 'sold' under a different name by someone who is 'bending the rules' of the open source EULA which technically allows the right to legally sell it.

Regards

Brian

Hello

looking to get back into sim after 10 years. Used FS2004 starting in 2004 for about 5 years. Have tons of add ons, planes, scenery, airports, AI and terrain files. FS2004 looks really great when you get all of these upgrades in. My question is has there been a new Sim released that would save the time having to reinstall and configure everything from scratch thats worth taking a look at? I tried a demo of X plane 11 and its a bit much for my machine and the graphics did seem that great anyway. I did prefer FS2004 over FSX. Anyway just wanted to ask here and get your thoughts.

Thanks!

Unless you're willing to start all over again, and if you're happy with FS2004, just stay where you are. To start again will mean that you'll have to repurchase virtually everything.....possibly even a new computer. Think long and hard before going off into the gotta-have-the-newest-sim-world. It may not be worth the journey..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

"I did prefer FS2004 over FSX"

Finally somebody knows what he is talking about!!!

Thank you

IF MS would have fixed the problems in FS9 like, in AI, CFG SmokeSystem etc, added Afterburner Gauge PARAMETERS , NO other FlightSim could hold a candle to it .....

G. Kirschstein

Archived