Windows 7 Seven issues

elmerfudd

I have a couple of bothersome problems with fs9 in Windows 7.

I have four computers, each of which has both fs8 and fs9 installed. Two of these are old XP boxes, and two are Windows 7. The installs on the XP boxes work fine.

Problem one is that on one one of the Win7 boxes, the sound level in fs9 is much lower than in fs8. The sound levels are equal between the two in all of the others.

The other problem is that there are issues in the Win7 installs that do not appear in the XP, such as the kneeboard popping under rather than over top of the panel, top-down view orientation being unchangeable, in Win 7, and so on. I'm sure there are other issues, but I don't use the win7 installs except for testing, so I don't really recall.

Is anyone else having problems with fs9 on Win7?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Try running in Compatibility Mode and as administrator

Right click over the exe file to access them

Web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world

Mail : biggles11@btinternet.com

As it happened, I was already running in compatibility mode. I did, as you suggested, try running as administrator, and the sound was as it should be. I tried copying the administrator fs9.cfg to my user account fs9, but that didn't work.

After a second test run, I also discovered that running the fs9 as admin also solved the other problems I was having. I dunno what accounts for the difference. If I were going to use this computer for other than testing only, I guess I would have to run as administrator. I would have to port all of my saved flights, etc., to the admin account as well.

Now that I think of it, I had to set my user account as administrator in one of my XP boxes, as well, to get the fs9 to work. It had something to do with the fs9 trashing my fs9.cfg file, if I didn't run as administrator.

Thanks for the help, this really had me stumped.

Regards,

elmerfudd

I own a mansion, und a yacht.

Yeah, that was my immediate and first response reading the OP.

Make sure FS9 is installed to the root of C dive. Path is C:\FS9 Or make it C:\FS2004 what ever.

Yeah, I had forgotten that you're supposed to do it that way. I've been doing it the wrong way, all these years. Old habits are hard to break.

Thanks for the reminder.

PS.: Is there any easy(er) way to move it over, rather than uninstalling and reinstalling?

Elmerfudd

When I reinstalled FS2004 I just backed up the whole directory and paste that over to the new install. But this probably isn't recommended.

Keep in mind any payware planes or scenery will have to be reinstalled from scratch.

When I reinstalled FS2004 I just backed up the whole directory and paste that over to the new install. But this probably isn't recommended.

Keep in mind any payware planes or scenery will have to be reinstalled from scratch.

Thanks for that. What I've done in the past with a new sim install is to rename the installed aircraft folder to aircraft.original. I then, as you suggest, copy over the aircraft folder from any previous install. This has always worked.

I just wonder now, about this: fs9 stores flight plans and such in My Documents\Flight Simulator Files, for each user. If I install outside of program files, will my flight plans still be in the same place, or somewhere different?

Thanks for the feedback.

P.S.: I strongly suspect that this same business is behind the problems I have been having with fs8, which I still use. I installed both sims recently in a Win7 Pro, and it gave me fits. I had serious trouble porting over my fs.cfg files. When I would change fs2002.cfg, it would alter fs9.cfg as well. I also had this problem in a Win10 Pro installation. When I made changes to the sim, instead of altering the fs2002.cfg file in the fs2002 folder, it would alter the fs2002.cfg file in users\username\local\virtualstore\microsoft games\fs2002\. Took me awhile to figger that one out.

elmerfudd

After your copy & paste, everything should work as normal. The new sim will pick up what's in My Documents.

You can even copy to a portable drive, to keep a back-up, &, by renaming the backed up folder (& the exe) to can repaste to C:\ create multiple FS2004 installs. I have 5 different versions, all working very well.

Have fun,

Regards,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

...to create multiple FS2004 installs. I have 5 different versions, all working very well.

And if you give each of the FS9.exe files a unique name you will have a different FS9.cfg for each version.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

After your copy & paste, everything should work as normal. The new sim will pick up what's in My Documents.

You can even copy to a portable drive, to keep a back-up, &, by renaming the backed up folder (& the exe) to can repaste to C:\ create multiple FS2004 installs. I have 5 different versions, all working very well.

Have fun,

Regards,

Robin

Thanks for that. I'm just trying it now on one of my test machines, with fs8. Something seems to be glitchy, I may have to bite the bullet and just uninstall and reinstall, save myself a bunch of headaches.

Regards,

elmerfudd

And if you give each of the FS9.exe files a unique name you will have a different FS9.cfg for each version.

peace,

the Bean

Thanks for the tip. Between the four computers, I think I have enough installs to drive me crazy. And it's a short drive.

Regards,

elmerfudd

I tried to install fs9 on a Win10 box that had fs8 on it already. First, I moved the fs8 out of the program files to the root, as suggested. I then installed the fs9 in the root directory. It would not run, either in compatibility mode and/or as administrator. It just keeps on asking me if I want this app to make changes, and for my password, but does not run.

Update: Installing fs9 in root did not work, but installing it in the Program Files folder and then copying it over to root did work.

Thanks again, for all the help.

P.S.: Still dunno why it works in root better than in Program Files.

elmerfudd

Archived