Fsx lagging. Unplayable

rastavriend

That's pretty crazy how a fragmented HDD would be the source of the stutters over your FSX.cfg since the Sim doesn't really pull from the HDD all the time.

A frag'ed up HDD can have all kinds of repercussions (hows THAT for a big word?? now I need more coffee... :p ). Especially if the OS is on that drive too, and double especially if the pagefile is there too. Or even if the OS and pagefile are on the same drive. And if the pagefile is on "automatic", it can cause this sort of thing, because the system has to pause to expand or shrink the pagefile in the middle of something. With most software, probably not real noticeable, but with a game, like a flightsim, it would be obvious.

Best to move the pagefile off the same drive the OS is on. Even another partition will do the trick, and make it a fixed size, about 2.5 X the RAM you have. This is an OLD rule of thumb, but I've found I have never needed a bigger pagefile than that. That way, no matter how much or little pagefile is needed, it stays the same size, and you don't need to worry about waiting while the system expands or shrinks it. The real trick is to make it the right multiple of 1024 to make it 2.5 X RAM. Other than that, a very simple process, and can have a lot of benefits.

Also you need to add HighMemFix=1 under [graphics]

A huge +1 on that! That is something mandatory, not optional, really...

Have fun, all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

If you have fsx with the acceleration update (or fsx with sp2) then highmemfix=1 is not needed.

Acceleration (or sp2) makes fsx: "large (memory) adress aware" already, so the line is not needed any more.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, I thought you had fsx acceleration. (if you do, sp2 isn't needed. Sp2 improvements are included in Acceleration already.)

Also sp2 should be installed on a clean fsx install. Installing it on an install with addons and such may cause slight issues.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived