Can orbX be installed on a second drive?

il88pp

Does orbx have to be installed inside fsx? (assuming that fsx is on C: drive.)

Or can orbX be on a second hard disk as well?

I mean Global, Vector, and mesh.

I assume orbX can be installed anywhere, right?

Many Thanks,

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks, clear.

I was asking for someone that's building a pc. I just advised him to go for a bigger ssd (not 256 but 512) if he wants to use orbx as well with his fsx-only pc.

(i think symlinks are good in emergency, but not as a starting point.)

thanks for the info F16jockey.:)

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used Symlinks in my previous build due to space but my current build is au naturel.

I never had any issues with it and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for someone wanting to either keep his install relatively 'clean' or who just prefers having scenery gathered elsewhere. It makes no difference to the sim so it's just a preference thing. I choose to keep most of my scenery elsewhere, and (incidentally) most of my add-on aircraft.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but I have been trying to figure out the symbolic link thing...I have created the link for my Orbx scenery and FSX-SE, but I understood that the Orbx directory in the FSX-SE root directory © should contain 0 bytes...Mine has not changed and still contains the full load of scenery...So does the link in the symbolic directory (G)...If I try to delete the files in the Orbx root folder, the symbolic ones disappear also...So, I don't seem to be saving any space on the root drive...Any advice? Thanks...

ORBX will install to whatever Drive your FSX or FSX-SE is installed on as it needs to be installed inside of FSX root. I have my FSX-SE installed on my F: Drive which is 2TB. I don't ever install anything on my C: SSD Drive which is for operating system only. When ORBX installs, it finds it's own location.

I was asking for someone that wants a pc for fsx only.

He wants one ssd

with fsx on C.

And, with orbx having to be in the fsx folder, I therefore recommended he get a larger SSD. Allowing the option of installing large sceneries like Orbx at some point.

---

I would recommentd to not use symlinks if there is another way.

symlinks can cause problems.

Let's assume fsx is on C, and some symlink on C refers to a location F:\fsxrelated.

-You normally acces everything through C, including the symlinked folder F:\fsxrelated.

therefore you nevver access the folder directly through F:\

You could well at some point see the folder on F, forget what it is for a moment, assume it is just an old backup, and delete it to create space.

-You could forget what symlink refers exactly to what. You have to keep track of them.

-And when you make a nice system image backup of C:\, drive F:\ is not in the image (or in a restore) creating problems. (Old restored fsdx from image, C drive fom image, but files in F are more recent. That can easily cause conflicts.

To make backing programs, and the data in those programs, together, it really helps to have the registry entries on the same disk as the data in the programs. (all on C:\).

Fine if you want to try your luck and do different things.

I recommended the user in the other thread to get a larger SSD now, to avoid issues with backing up and restoring, and other things, in future.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can not install ORBX to a separate drive. It overwrites core files in your flight simulator which will not be done when installing to a separate drive. ORBX has repeated this fact until they are blue in the face. Anyone who tells you different does not know what they are talking about.

You can not install ORBX to a separate drive. It overwrites core files in your flight simulator which will not be done when installing to a separate drive. ORBX has repeated this fact until they are blue in the face. Anyone who tells you different does not know what they are talking about.

I've had ORBX installed this way on five different machines since P3Dv2...

I have ORBX (the folder) installed to my D drive via Symbolic link, and the ONLY files that need to be in drive alongside or superimposed on P3D are those which overwrite or alter the default files...

I've had ORBX installed this way on five different machines since P3Dv2...

I have ORBX (the folder) installed to my D drive via Symbolic link, and the ONLY files that need to be in drive alongside or superimposed on P3D are those which overwrite or alter the default files...

Thank you for proving my point. ORBX over write core files. Symlinks are bad. They break the natural semantics of a hierarchical tree-like file system, and turn it into a messy half-assed graph. The point is, symlinks are a messy kluge which probably wasn't thought out very well. This has been pointed out by EVERY Microsoft instructor I ever had when getting my MCSE's.

Again, ORBX does not recommend it and they made the software. That's enough for me.

Archived