FSX unable to log on to internet

I switched the PC on and looked for internet explorer shortcut as usual on desktop to log onto the net....it has disappeared.

Click Start - All programs - Internet explorer is missing

In Windows explorer I can see programs and programs (x86) but file iexplore.exe is seen as iexplore only.....no .exe

I rarely log onto the net and only for FS downloads & info.

Any ideas anyone; would be gratefully appreciated.

What windows version are you running? If you have Windows 10, look for Microsoft edge. I believe it's an app version of internet explorer. Otherwise use Chrome if you have it installed. It's Google's version of internet explorer. It may be installed on your computer already also.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Computers can be frustrating.

I'm in 7 also.

Windows can lose a shortcut link and Windows can 'hide' the displayed file types so try this:

browse to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer

it is best to display files as "list" or "details" (from the dropdown list at the upper right)

look for iexplore.exe

A.

if you only see iexplore

Hopefully, your explorer window has a menu displayed so you can select 'tools' from the menu

in the tools menu, select "folder options" then the "view" tab.

within the visible options at the top you should have "always show menus " and "show hidden files and folders" checked but NOT "hide extensions for known file types"

B

if you see it, click or double click it ( or select it and press [enter] )

If it starts up then you haven't lost Internet Explorer but only the shortcut to it. You can make another one.

C.

If you don't see iexplore or iexplore.exe then you would have to 'repair' Windows or use another browser. I personally prefer Firefox but to each his own.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Question, about the internet.

Is there also the "not connected" icon showing in your taskbar icons?

Answers to not finding the internet explorer icon.

-1-

Are you logged in as the correct user? (or as admin?).

If you are not, then the user you are logged in as, may not have enough priviledges to see or use IE. You'll need to log in as a different user.

(And as Admin, you should not only be allowed IE access. You should also be able to allow other users access to IE.)

-2-

If you are logged in correctly, and still can't find the IE icon. Your Icon-Cache may have been corrupted. Happened to me a few times also.

It's quite easy to rebuild the Icon-Cache.

See instructions here.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Computers can be frustrating.

I'm in 7 also.

Windows can lose a shortcut link and Windows can 'hide' the displayed file types so try this:

browse to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer

it is best to display files as "list" or "details" (from the dropdown list at the upper right)

look for iexplore.exe

A.

if you only see iexplore

Hopefully, your explorer window has a menu displayed so you can select 'tools' from the menu

in the tools menu, select "folder options" then the "view" tab.

within the visible options at the top you should have "always show menus " and "show hidden files and folders" checked but NOT "hide extensions for known file types"

B

if you see it, click or double click it ( or select it and press [enter] )

If it starts up then you haven't lost Internet Explorer but only the shortcut to it. You can make another one.

C.

If you don't see iexplore or iexplore.exe then you would have to 'repair' Windows or use another browser. I personally prefer Firefox but to each his own.

Loyd

I now have iexplore.exe seen and created a desktop shortcut....but when clicked can see internet explorer flickering and finally appearing on desktop but greyed out.

Question, about the internet.

Is there also the "not connected" icon showing in your taskbar icons?

Answers to not finding the internet explorer icon.

-1-

Are you logged in as the correct user? (or as admin?).

If you are not, then the user you are logged in as, may not have enough priviledges to see or use IE. You'll need to log in as a different user.

(And as Admin, you should not only be allowed IE access. You should also be able to allow other users access to IE.)

-2-

If you are logged in correctly, and still can't find the IE icon. Your Icon-Cache may have been corrupted. Happened to me a few times also.

It's quite easy to rebuild the Icon-Cache.

See instructions here.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

Now have iexplore.exe still Admin click desktop explorer still see flickerinf internet explorer that does not settle. Bullguard does update OK

Do you mean IE opens and shows webpages but that the image flickers? (I don't have ideas on that, just asking cause I didn't fully understand your last post.)

maybe click start, and type cmd in the search box. Then in the results right-click cmd.exe and click "run as administrator".

In the admin command prompt type:

sfc /scannow

and press >enter

the system file checker will then run and fix any errors with Windows system files.

(not sure if that's where the issue is, but running sfc /scannow won't hurt.)

If the scan reports "some errors found and fixed", reboot the pc and run the scan as admin again. (repeat those steps including reboot untill no more errors found.)

other thought. Your anti-virus may be in the way of internet access somehow.

To test, reboot in safe mode. Method: reboot, and at the BIOS Beep, repeat-press "F8" key many times fast. (rap the key).

At least, it's the "F8" key on some brands mainboard. It may be a different "F" key on yours.

Anyway, after the "par F8" you will get a black screen with text and several options. Use the arrow keys to select "boot in safe mode with networking".

Your pc will then boot windows without also starting all the 3d party software that normally starts. No anti virus. (no videocard driver either, so the screen is at low resolution with desktop shortcuts not fitting any more. Don't worry, they are in their normal places again when you reboot normally again later. So don't go moving them.)

ok. Once in safe mode, try IE. If it will run properly the issue is caused by some third party software. (doesn't have to be anti virus btw.)

after the test, reboot (normally).

Have a look in event viewer, custom views, administrator events. See if an error is listed about IE.

Also look for events about services that seem related to internet not starting.

Oh, is it just IE that is affected? Or do other browsers on that pc also refuse to connect?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do you mean IE opens and shows webpages but that the image flickers? (I don't have ideas on that, just asking cause I didn't fully understand your last post.)

ANS only if continually pressing I.Ex desktop short cut to load I.Ex do I see flickering I.Ex browser as it attempts to open, when I cease tapping the shortcut all disappears.

maybe click start, and type cmd in the search box. Then in the results right-click cmd.exe and click "run as administrator".

In the admin command prompt type:

sfc /scannow

ANS all seems OK

and press >enter

the system file checker will then run and fix any errors with Windows system files.

(not sure if that's where the issue is, but running sfc /scannow won't hurt.)

If the scan reports "some errors found and fixed", reboot the pc and run the scan as admin again. (repeat those steps including reboot untill no more errors found.)

other thought. Your anti-virus may be in the way of internet access somehow.

To test, reboot in safe mode. Method: reboot, and at the BIOS Beep, repeat-press "F8" key many times fast. (rap the key).

At least, it's the "F8" key on some brands mainboard. It may be a different "F" key on yours.

Anyway, after the "par F8" you will get a black screen with text and several options. Use the arrow keys to select "boot in safe mode with networking".

Your pc will then boot windows without also starting all the 3d party software that normally starts. No anti virus. (no videocard driver either, so the screen is at low resolution with desktop shortcuts not fitting any more. Don't worry, they are in their normal places again when you reboot normally again later. So don't go moving them.)

ok. Once in safe mode, try IE. If it will run properly the issue is caused by some third party software. (doesn't have to be anti virus btw.)

ANS Tapped F8 seen scary screen with no title to open in safe mode just lots of information; fan speeds, processor info and more....I just exited without change.

after the test, reboot (normally).

Have a look in event viewer, custom views, administrator events. See if an error is listed about IE.

Also look for events about services that seem related to internet not starting.

Oh, is it just IE that is affected? Or do other browsers on that pc also refuse to connect?

Cclicked desktop Browser Choice shortcut...see display says Please note the browser choice update unpinned Microsoft internet explorer from your taskbar but you can pin it back if you want. Click here to learn more....problem is that all click ons will highlight with mouse but are dead. Also assay internet explorer is still available from the start/all programs menu. I have checked many times, no internet explorer is seen in start all programs not even in accessories......?

Archived