default a231 autopilot for heading and altitude on take off

TKessel

I think I've got the Auto Throttle tamed OK, which I engage after take off, but I can't get the autopilot to work like I think it should.

With the 737, I set the heading and altitude and climb rate before take off, but don't have the autopilot engaged.

After take off I engage the autopilot and all is pretty good.

With the a231, it's not so good. I do the above but when I engage the autopilot, the climb rate is nothing like what I have set, and I can't seem to regulate it. The aircraft does, however climb (at an excessive rate) to the correct altitude.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Ted

That is A321 !

I have changed the order of activating button in the A321 compared to the 737. In the A321before take off AP is not active, and alt is not "on". After take off I activate the AP, then click on the "on" button for altitude. Still not quite working right, as the rate of climb doesn't always seem right, but it's getting better.

- Ted

I never fly the default planes because they are pretty much crap. Even my F-22 has some oddities with the AP. Like when I set the VS over 2000 ( I usually use 6000-8000 VS) to climb to FL500, it will shoot past my altitude I set in the AP. So at about 1,000' prior to obtaining that altitude I set in the AP, I have to set VS back down to 2000 so it doesn't surpass my assigned altitude. Same goes for decent. The speed is crappy, too. I set mach 2.35, but doesn't throttle all the way up to get there. So at FL450 I have to disengage the IAS button and throttle all the way up on the yoke's throttle and when I hit mach 2.30 I reengage the IAS due to the throttle taking it's sweet time backing down for normalization.

Now in the PMDG 737 I had no AP issues once so ever, and I guess that's because they tested the crap out of it. And I've read they had real pilots test it as well. So with the default aircraft you get what you pay for. The Cessna is probably the only aircraft worth half a damn. Or even the Cessna Caravan.

OOM errors? Read this.

"The great thing about flight simulation is that in real life there are no do-overs." - Abraham Lincoln c. 1865

An awesome weather website with oodles of Info. and options.

Wile E. Coyote would be impressed.

Over many years it is obvious to me that some FDE autopilot models were designed to hold the current altitude and or rate of climb of the plane when the AP Master is engaged and Altitude Hold engaged, and it then has to be reset.

Other models pick up the desired VSI and altitude pre-select smoothly. I hand fly these cantankerous planes by hand after takeoff, trim them to the desired rate of climb / IAS, then engage the AP. It helps, but not always perfect. It seems there is little to be done to fine tune any given model if it is cranky.

In real life, most autopilots seem to have been designed to activate what I used to call "attitude hold" - the current pitch and bank - until the refined modes of IAS, heading, altitude pre-select and / or VSI are set. It is, however, a rather old concept given today's integrated AP / FMC logic.

I have three Carenado general aviation aircraft I like a lot. But I have not yet invested in the larger commercial aircraft for FSX. What do you think of the aerosoft A321? It is something I've been considering. Thanks, Ted

I have three Carenado general aviation aircraft I like a lot. But I have not yet invested in the larger commercial aircraft for FSX. What do you think of the aerosoft A321? It is something I've been considering. Thanks, Ted

I don't have that particular aircraft so I wouldn't know. Generally, a paid for aircraft will be a lot better the default, but price often dictates quality, too. Not all the time though. I mean, you can pay $50 for an aircraft only to discover it's loaded with bugs and what not.

OOM errors? Read this.

"The great thing about flight simulation is that in real life there are no do-overs." - Abraham Lincoln c. 1865

An awesome weather website with oodles of Info. and options.

Wile E. Coyote would be impressed.

I believe that the Airbus will automatically select the maximum, safe climb rate, and i don't think you have control over that until you reach your first entered altitude. Eg, if you are cleared to 8000 feet, the Airbus will climb like a ferret up your trouser leg until 8000feet. I think then, you can control the climb rate after that, but i wouldn't bet my life on it.

As CRJ Simpilot says, the default planes aren't very good, and this is especially true for the Airbus for example, in the real Bus the throttle system is gated,and a click, click sound is heard as each gate is engaged. So lets say you are taking off from DFW, you can select either Flex, or TOGA, Flex is a reduced power take off which uses less fuel and less ware and rear on the engines...suitable for long dry runways TOGA (take off go around) full juice, wet or shorter runways or heavy aircraft. After take off, at thrust reduction altitude, a light will start to flash on the Primary Flight Display instructing you pull the throttle levers back to the 'climb' position...this will also engage the auto throttle automatically to the speed set in the FMC (FMGC on a Bus) or the speed dialed in.

If you are interested in the Airbus, i suggest buying an add on like the Aerosoft which is an extremely good package.

Regards.

Archived