Brakes anti-skid ( on/off )

GBJim

I have a joy stick button programed to toggle the anti-skid feature on or off , but I never know what position that it was in last.

Is there any way to program the brake anti-skid function so that is on permanently ? ? ?

Jim

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

Is there any way to program the brake anti-skid function so that is on permanently ? ? ?

Jim

Not that I'm aware of.

When a plane first loads in, the AS is OFF, and must be turned on to function.

If you need to verify it's status, I'll wager and XML guru could write a small gauge to show it's status, or a switch showing it being on/off in the 2D cockpit. Something like that.

I am not good enough to write a status gauge, but I am working on making a decent switch, that can either be added to a panel, or added as a separate pop-up. Might look a little odd, having a single switch pop out when I hit shft+X (some number), but it works. Or it will when I get it done.

One of these days :D

I wish you luck! Maybe someone more knowledgable than I am will have a better idea...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I have a joy stick button programed to toggle the anti-skid feature on or off , but I never know what position that it was in last.

Jim

Yes, program a two position button so that it is `up` or `forward` for ON, and `down` or `back` for OFF, then you only have to look at it and leave it in the ON position permanently...

Thanks Pat, that might be good enough. As long as I know that my AS is off when the plane comes up, I can then toggle it on easy enough.

Thanks for your help. :)

Jim

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

Not sure exactly what you mean - not all planes have anti-skid or autobrakes, only more sophisticated ones. If your model has anti-skid or auto-brakes, it likely does have a switch on the main panel or a popup panel that you can find. You would then see it move in relation to your programmed button if all is set correctly.

Remember - auto-brakes and anti-skid are different systems, though they both aid in braking.

Phantom is right - an XML gauge would be easy to make showing it is on or off, but programming it off at startup - not sure.

...but programming it off at startup - not sure.

No need to program it off at start. It's default state is off. Like the lights in general, presuming you're using the default flight. You always enter the "world"with certain things off, certain things on. Like the engine(s), electrical systems, and numerous other things, on, lights and antiskid, among many others, off.

Again, though, that's with the default flight/plane as a starting condition. If you start the sim with another, saved, flight/plane as default, all bets are off.

No pun intended...:p

Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Why not use a LIGHT like for the spoiler? If light is OFF, AS is OFF. If light is ON, AS is ON. Dah!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Good idea, Chuck. Now let's see if my xml abilities are up to lights. The way my luck runs, I'll make the light off when the AS is on.

Still a good idea though. As soon as I have time, I'll get it made. Working on the latest update to the FSX BA Hornet. When I get a chance, I code it up for you, though, Jim.

Until then, guess LOL! :confused: ;)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Setting anti-skid to be "permanently" on should be pretty easy.

Something like...

(L:AutoSetAntiSkidOn,bool) 0 == if{ 1 (>K:ANTISKID_BRAKES_TOGGLE) 1 (&gt:L:AutoSetAntiSkidOn,bool) }

This will set anti-skid on at panel load, if you should turn it off after that, you are on your own.

NB. My XML skills are a bit rusty and I have not tested this. Also, if an addon airplane is using custom variables for anti-skid, this will not work.

This would be an invisible gauge that, if added to the VC, would load automatically whenever the plane is loaded. If you add it to the 2D panel the gauge will not load until the first time you use the 2D panel.

Like I said, I have not done any XML gauge work for a while, this might require some tweaking. It should get you started.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I think it would have to be:

so with .xml in it.

And perhaps with

/>

at it's end instead of >

but not sure on that one. (bit rusty too)

Wrong on both, I am afraid.

I do not know if using the file extension would have any adverse affects, Microsoft never felt the need to add it.

However I do know that the...

...serves as the closing tag, so...

is most definitely wrong.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

I don't mean to sound like I know more than others, for that's most certainly not the case, but:

I think that for the FSX and P3D XML's the opening line should read: . No need for the closing / . As Mr. Bean said, the closing at the end of the whole thing takes care of it.

Mainly though, and I may be wrong, but I think I read this on the FSDeveloper forums, instead of the (>K:Var... it should be (>K:Var... , but that may be optional to save typing keystrokes, I'm just not sure. Same for the L:Var, as well. You can (should??) make it (

Also, shouldn't that be

etc

Rather than just alone?

Again, I'm going by other gauges I've seen, not my personal knowledge. And I'm just asking, not telling. Again, just looking at others' gauges I've seen on the FSDev forums.

Just trying to get it all straight in my head. I'm not an xml xpert ( :D ) by any means. I am trying to learn and improve, though.

Have fun all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow, this is really basic XML stuff.

FTR, &gt is the same thing as >. They both mean "greater than" when used with a variable.

I have no idea why you would need to use "less than" in

Using the "greater than" sign tells FS to set that variable to the last value loaded on the stack.

As for using

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Just one little typo:

(L:AutoSetAntiSkidOn,bool) 0 == if{ 1 (&gt[color=#b22222];[/color]K:ANTISKID_BRAKES_TOGGLE) 1 (&gt[b][color=#ff0000];[/color][/b]L:AutoSetAntiSkidOn,bool) }

This gauge will work at first glance, haven't tested it either as I see no purpose for it.

You'll need a switch or a light, which on all planes I fly is already there.

After all, who can remember how many times (odd or even) he pushed a joystick button?

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Thanks Wim, good catch.

... I see no purpose for it.

The intent was to have anti-skid on at first load. While it will not guarantee that anti-skid stays on permanently, if it is on at startup and you never turn it off....

I could have wrote it to continuously check that ant-skid is on, and turn it on if it ever was turned off. That seemed to me to be a waste of resources. This is a set it and forget it answer to the OP.

Thanks again, my colon feels better now.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Archived