How to make a good turn to try landing again?

Francofree

Hi

Recently got my steam version. First of all thank you for such a useful forum.

Most likely the answer to my question must be some where here but it will be difficult to find it.

-------When for any reason I can't land my plane I need to go up again and turn around to try landing again

*****But i do not know how to make a good turn to bring me exactly where I came from

I need to learn how to make a correct turn so i can try again for landing

If any body knows where i can get this tutorial?

Thanks

It's called flying the pattern. I'm sure there is a lesson in fsx that will teach you the pattern that consists of downwind, base and final. It's a great thing to practice so you will be prepared for landings on your flights.

For a normal traffic pattern (light aircraft, left pattern), climb to 500' AGL (above ground level) then turn 90 degrees left to crosswind. Continue climbing to reach 800 to 1000 feet AGL. When the tip of the runway appears to be at about a 45 degree angle behind you, turn 90 degrees left again to downwind. Continue climbing, if unecessary, until you reach pattern altitude. Reduce power and apply the first notch of flaps (if proper for your airplane) at the runway mid-point, slowing down and maintaining altitude. When abeam of the tip of the runway where you will land, reduce power and begin a slow descent. When the tip of the runway is about 45 degrees behind you, turn 90 degrees left again to base. When close to the runway centerline, turn 90 degrees left again onto final. Adjust power and flaps to control your descent and aim at the runway threshold.

If the airport has "right-traffic" then make all turns to the right. And adjust the angles that you fly to correct for the effect of a crosswind. Cool beans.

One of the tutorial Missions is flying just that pattern in the Piper Cub and it can be practiced over and over again. Once the landing is made you can apply power and fly the same route over again without the squares or circles that you fly through.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

If you are flying the aircraft without auto pilot or a flight plan first start with a good plane for learning. I suggest the C172.

1) Take the time to learn about your aircraft what the minimal flight speeds are( located in the check list. )

2) Open your GPS Screen and practice at an airport that has an ILS approach so you can follow the green marker leading to the runway.

3) Create some distance between the runway and you.

4) Take off and climb to about 1500' above the ground as you turn to loop around otherwise known as (circuit flying)

Example : Lets say you are taking off at runway 1L heading 10 degrees From Dulles Airport ( KIAD ) once the runway is behind you and you are climbing to 1500 feet up start a left hand turn slowly until you are heading in the opposite direction 190 degrees.

You are now on a downwind leg and you can see the runway on the left side of the aircraft. once you have passed the runway continue until you reach the end of the green ILS apporach marker located on your GPS Screen usually about 5 miles out from the runway.

Begin a left hand turn slowly about 90 degrees or the base leg and once you get near where the GPS green ILS approach marker is make a left hand turn back to 10 degrees final approach leg. Because you are 5 miles away from the runway, you can make corrections as you approach.

This is a good way to start because as you repeat the action , you get a feel on the aircraft's limits and after a while you will not need the GPS screen to help you turn and land. All you need is the compass and visual. Try using your trim to adjust pitch while making corrections on the course with the stick.

Archived