Classic PAN AM Airlines

to jump out the back?

Those stairs by the tail part of the plane were alike to what was found in the French Caravelle? Weren't they? I once flew like a passenger a Caravelle; great sensation when stepping in!

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Thanks very much to all that responded. I enjoy the stories that some have inputted. I agree with you Michael about jumping out the air stairs in the rear. Didn't some guy jump out the rear (1970's) I think is what you are thinking of. It is a interesting way to board the plane. I was not aware of the French Caravelle plane. Kenny

Thanks very much to all that responded. I enjoy the stories that some have inputted. I agree with you Michael about jumping out the air stairs in the rear. Didn't some guy jump out the rear (1970's) I think is what you are thinking of. It is a interesting way to board the plane. I was not aware of the French Caravelle plane. Kenny

Right on Kenny!! It was thought to be D.B. Cooper that parachuted from the lowered rear ramp of a 727 over the Rockies after he hijacked it. If anyone is interested, Wikipedia has some information on the event. You can find it there by searching for D.B. Cooper.

If I remember correctly the rear stairs were disabled on all 727s right after this event.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks Michael for telling me his name, I forgot it. I think you are right as for not allowing the air stairs in the rear to work on all B727. It was a bit of different times, even though their were hijackings back then, no one ever thought of doing it that way until D.B. Cooper did it his way. I thought it was a great way to board B727's, I did it a few times myself. Kenny

I was not aware of the French Caravelle plane. Kenny

Myself I was not aware of the hijacker story. Never heard that for a Caravelle. On the other hand, I don't remember neither that she had triangular windows :)

check below the rear entrance, and the triangular windows

caravll.jpg

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Myself I was not aware of the hijacker story. Never heard that for a Caravelle. On the other hand, I don't remember neither that she had triangular windows :)

check below the rear entrance, and the triangular windows

[ATTACH=CONFIG]201911[/ATTACH]

Those windows look like they are teardrop shaped to me. In fact the portals behind the plane are almost teardrop shaped as well?

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Nope!

carvback.jpg

Triangular windows, I found, on the other hand, were deviced to resist pressure and not to make fatigue cracks. Which had happen with the DH 106 Comet: the Comet had squared windows and 3 of the planes desintegrated in flight in less than one year, with 99 casualties :( Thence they featured triangular windows on the Caravelle and then, all planes since those accidents, eventually got the oval-shaped windows which still are the norm today :cool:

Archived